Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » LIGHT BOX for SPLICING

Author Topic: LIGHT BOX for SPLICING
Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2004 06:13 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need to build a light box to make life easier for my projectionists when making up prints.Is there a design,shape and size that works best(is bigger better?)Any help would be much appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-17-2004 07:51 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before we got a Kelmar rewind table that has a light box built in, we just cut a 7"x4" hole in the table and routed out a 1/4in edge so that a piece of milk plastic could sit in it flush with the table top. Then we rigged a simple socket underneath and we use one of those 75w equivalent compact fluorescent lamps. It is very cold white which lets you see framelines in the most dense film.

In one other booth that has a rewind table without the built in light (Kelmar did make them without the lamp), we just bought a lightbox that you can get from any artist supply store. It is essentially a tin box with a fluorescent lamp in it. I just saw one the other day for like $65, which, in my mind is a lot of money for a $3 tin box, a $2 socket and switch and a $4 fluorescent light bulb, but then, hey, it's already made for you. Those standard light boxes are about 12" x 6", which is a bit larger than necessary....all you are looking to do is light up a few frames.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-17-2004 07:56 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check your local camera store. They usually sell lightboxes for viewing negatives or slides. I've seen some recently that are very thin panels (probably 1/4" thick). You should be able to get something serviceable very inexpensively or something good for ~$50. More if you want a larger surface, of course.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-19-2004 03:11 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a portable fluroescent work light that could be used:

http://www.safetycentral.com/duflflwolifl.html

If you can find them, the Kodak Mini Slide Viewer is a very good portable illuminator:

http://www.esl-lounge.com/amazon/electronics/projectors/B000052191.shtml

quote:
Description:
The Kodak mini slide projector is a handheld, very bright light source for viewing any standard 35mm slides, no matter where you are. Its light source is a nonreplaceable cold-cathode fluorescent lamp with a lamp life of approximately 10,000 hours. This viewer weighs a mere 2.8 ounces and is small, only 2.8 by 3.8 by 0.7 inches, with a 1.60-by-1.04-inch slide stage, making it extremely portable and ideal for vacations. This battery-powered miniprojector is also compatible with standard low-voltage DC 6-volt power supplies, giving you a reliable power source almost anywhere. This viewer can only be used with cardboard or thin plastic mounts and filmstrips. It can be used with its wire desk stand (included), held in one hand, or attached to any common neck strap.

Andrew Shingleton
Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2004 01:46 AM      Profile for Andrew Shingleton   Email Andrew Shingleton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That mini slide viewer is exactly the sort of thing I've been looking around for recently. We have light boxes mounted in our film work bench, but we also want something portable. We've even considered making something similar with an old tin cigarette box by cutting a hole in the side and putting a sheet of white plastic in, then mounting a light under and hooking it up to a battery. But something ready made would be much better (and wouldn't fall apart in a week like our little invention probably would).

That product has apparantly been discontinued, but does anyone know of anything similar? Basically what we're looking for is a flat panel which can be illuminated and which would fit at least 2 35mm frames on it, which is powered by battery so that it's portable. In other words - that mini slide viewer, only one that's still in production! [Smile]

I'm going to take Scott's advice and check a few camera stores soon.

David M. Dorn
Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2004 10:41 AM      Profile for David M. Dorn   Email David M. Dorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started reading this thread after finishing some darkroom work and I was remineded of the Gepe battery powered light boxes.

This may be more of use to traveling techs than the projectionists. Gepe makes a model G-5002 Slide viewer (works with film as well) which includes a 1.8x magnifier. The units fold down to 6" x 2.5" x.75" and comes with a neck cord. The color corrected cold cathode lamp is powered by 4 AA batteries. After a year I am still on my first set of batteries.

For fixed use velco would hold it on a bench.

Gepe's other model has a wider light window for viewing a strip of 35mm film.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-23-2004 02:00 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Links for the Gepe illuminators:

http://www.photococan.com/itm01980.htm

http://www.photococan.com/itm01975.htm

http://www.gepe.com/english/161-txt.htm

http://www.hpmarketingcorp.com/gepe-pro.html

Andrew Shingleton
Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2004 12:19 PM      Profile for Andrew Shingleton   Email Andrew Shingleton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I found what I was looking for! The Medalite Slide Viewer:

-

Both Ted's Camera Store and the Kodak Shop had them, but they were a dollar cheaper at Kodak at $10.99 each. You could probably get them at other places, but I stopped looking. They run on two AAA batteries, and the lit area is 36mm x 36mm which is perfect for working with 35mm film. Total dimensions are 98.5 x 58 x 13.5 so you could easily carry it around in your pocket to use at the platter deck or other dark places where you might need to find a frame line.

Plus, if you hold it and point the face downwards it doubles as a handy torch which gives an even flood of light, which will help with finding splices when breaking down, etc. [Smile]

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2004 09:34 AM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use a flashlight, do you guys think a floresent light work better?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-02-2004 01:41 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "cold light" or fluorescent viewers use less energy, and usually provide a more uniform illumination.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: