Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Need Help Identifying Part on Simplex SH-1007 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Need Help Identifying Part on Simplex SH-1007
Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2004 09:26 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a bracket that is mounted on my soundhead motor cover that I cannot identify. See picture. When I bought these I wasn't even sure what the covers were since they were not on the projectors. I had never seen any before. Can anyone tell me what this is?

-

Thanks,

Josh

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-15-2004 10:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure,
Thats just for catching oil drips. Was used in conjunction with a drip pan mounted between the projector bottom and the mounting bar. Mainly for use with heads such as the E-7, or Super Simplex which did drip alot. The drip pan dripped the oil into that catch all. The threaded hole on the side is for a drain valve. I guess Simplex thought the X-L didn't require the drip plate but in reality the X-L's are as messy as the E-7 and theer.

Mark @ CLACO

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2004 10:49 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

Okay. Thanks for your help. I remember seeing that drip pan on some E-7 heads I almost bought. It makes sense now.

I will soon be undertaking the job of cleaning all the old oil and junk out of these heads. Is there a gasket set that I can buy and do you know a ballpark figure on cost? Thanks again

Josh

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2004 10:00 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need further help indentifying these parts. I have this soundsystem which I was considering selling (see picture) and am not sure what should go with it. I also took pictures of the inside back of the soundhead to show what was inside. I eventually want to fit these with red light sound pickups. What should I keep and what should go? I would like to have a digital soundsystem and am not sure what I need.

-

-

-

-

-

Also I was considering buying magnetic penthouses for these projectors. Would they run on the same sound equipment as a digital soundsystem or do I need different equipment for that? Like special magnetic sound amplifiers or the such? What should I expect to pay for 2 Simplex SH-1025? Thanks for your help.

Josh

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-19-2004 10:43 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may be interested in the large amp rack if the price is right [Smile]

As for mag, besides the mag penthouses, you will need mag preamps (preferably modern ones such as the Dolby MPU) and a cinema processor that has 4 channel aux/mag/digital inputs (almost any modern stereo processor would work here)

-Aaron

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-20-2004 12:33 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have pieces of Simplex optical and magnetic sound systems. I had that combination at a theatre in Washington... very good equipment.

The two small boxes are the magnetic changeover controls. You would push the appropriate button along with the visual douser control when switching from one projector to the other. I don't recall seeing the larger box with the two rotary controls... sorry.

The large rack in our installation was the OPTICAL amplifier system. Either amplifier (or both in parallel) could be switched to the center stage speaker, using the control at the bottom... instant redundancy.

There should be another rack around there... with 3 amplifiers and (I believe) a monitor amp of some kind. In magnetic mode, those 3 amps powered the stage speakers, and the optical rack ran the surrounds. You're also missing a box or two of pre-amp strips that usually are on the wall, close to the penthouse... and the surround control circuitry. You're also missing another push-button box that would switch the system between magnetic and optical. Also, there should be a couple of boxes with large volume controls and a toggle switch at the top. Those would be for optical volume and changeover. One would also have a selector for switching to a mic and record player. The turnkey XL booth I worked in also had an exciter supply that was mounted in a rack almost as large as the amplifer rack in your picture.

Your soundhead looks like the SH1012 models I use at my drive-in. That's the first time I've seen the pre-amp under the exciter lamp. My heads have always been empty (my wife says mine is, too!).

If you convert your sound head to red reader, you won't need the exciter & slit lens assembly, the photocell assembly or the pre-amp. You could leave the preamp module in there, I suppose... but it won't be something you'll ever use after the conversion. None of that stuff is involved when running magnetic, anyway. The speaker box in your picture would normally be for monitoring the optical sound rack... or surrounds, when in magnetic mode. We had a monitor for the mag amps that looked like a stage high-frequency horn, except it had 3 speakers mounted in it... something like 6" cones, I think.

Considering the age of that stuff, it all looks very nice!

As for whether you could use any of it in a digital mode... that's probably a matter of opinion. I don't think many people here would do it in a commercial environment... the amplifiers are very nice, but they're old and were never designed for the kind of dynamic range required for digital today. You'd have a challenge on your hands if something major blew... like any of the iron in there. But COULD you do it? Sure.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2004 04:57 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info. So if I get a sound rack for digital sound like we had at Cinemark. It had a Ultra-Stereo JS-200 cinema sound processor a DTS-6D unit with reader and 7 QSC 1400 amps. All I would need then to run mag penthouses would be mag preamp right?

These projectors were never fitted with mag sound so I shouldn't be missing anything then as far as the current soundsystem goes. I uninstalled them and I took everything that was attached to the soundsystem except the speaker which they got rid of. But I want to ditch this soundsystem and go with the newer kind. So as far as the soundhead goes I can get rid of the exciter supply (which I am guessing is the pull out deal with the tubes mounted on it) and the entire cell ass'y including the circuit board on the back with wiring soldered to it right? Thanks again for all the help!

Josh

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-20-2004 05:19 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh,
If you decide to split up that old audio package, I would be interested in the top 3 smaller boxes on the left of your pic.

Also, SH-1025 mag soundheads come up on eBay every now and then for about $150.00.

Thanks!

>>> Phil

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-21-2004 01:49 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joshua Waaland
So as far as the soundhead goes I can get rid of the exciter supply (which I am guessing is the pull out deal with the tubes mounted on it) and the entire cell ass'y including the circuit board on the back with wiring soldered to it right?
The pull-out unit with the two tubes is the optical preamp module- The exciter supply is the bottom unit in the large rack.

Yes, to convert to modern exciter/solar cells or a red LED reader, you will be removing all of the hardware for the old phototube reader assembly.

-Aaron

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-21-2004 02:33 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joshua's last post got me thinking there might have been other uses for those changeover boxes.

I my XL booth, the soundheads were standard SH1000s. The preamps, which look a LOT like the ones Joshua has in his 1007s, were mounted on the wall in the same box with the volume control for that projector, and a 3-way switch to changeover the exciter lamps.

I'm wondering now if those smaller boxes, which I used for mag changeovers, would be used in this case for switching the optical preamp outputs? It would make sense.

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2004 07:34 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pictures are of an XL 12 24 OPTICAL soundsystem, circa 1951.The preamp under the exciter lamp had a single 6j7 and came out at 500 ohms went to the xover cabinets which contained latching relays to select the proper projector, thence to the non sync cabinet which contained an identical preamp to the ones in the sound head and could used as an emergency sacrificing the non-sync. No equalization was used in the pre amps. It was all done in the 500 ohm link cct in the non- sync cabinet that then went to the input xformer on the power amp which was either an AM1026 or AM 1027, both had similar circuitry but the smaller power amp had 6l6`s in the finals while larger had 807`s.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2004 09:17 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought 2ea used SH-1025 mag penthouses and tried mounting them to these projectors. I figured out how they bolt to the picture heads but there seems to be a plate missing from the area between the picture head and the penthouse. Also the plate that was originally bolted to the top of the picture head which held the crescent shaped roller assembly and the upper magazine will not fit on the top of the penthouse. It is too big to fit onto the penthouse. I just figured that I could remove it from the picture head, bolt down the penthouse, then bolt it onto the top of the penthouse. No can do.

Does anyone have any plates available that would fit it? If so please e-mail me. Thanks.

Josh

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2004 12:20 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
have a pic of it? Here is mine, top bracket has large holes for standard reel arms, and 3 smaller holes which i'm guessing are for the magazine/fire rollers.
BTW: Does anyone have a manual or parts manual for these things?
 -

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-14-2004 12:54 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan: I think I've got a manual in my storage place..when I get my car back on Monday I'll look for it.

And if I find it, I'll get it scanned and posted on the site for everyone.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-14-2004 01:21 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bob Koch
The preamp under the exciter lamp had a single 6j7 and came out at 500 ohms went to the xover cabinets which contained latching relays to select the proper projector
Well, the 500 ohm switching sounds logical... that's how they did the mag channels. I wonder why the overlap with the preamps in the volume-control boxes instead of the sound heads. Ours (1949 install) switched exciters. That was the same setup my drive-in was originally built with... also a '49 build.

Maybe to make their systems compatible with non-preamped soundheads?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: