Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lamp burned a hole in the dowser?

Author Topic: Lamp burned a hole in the dowser?
Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2004 02:42 PM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Victoria 5 with 4 kW lamp. I donīt know what
metal is used for the manual dowser in the lamphouse,
but the heat makes it bend. The same thing with the
change-over dowser. Sometimes it bend so much it get
stuck and I have to straighten it out.

Between the commercials/trailers and the main film I
have a short intermission (about 20 seconds) with the
dowser down. Tonight there was a big flick and the film
melted - there was an inch big hole in the dowser!

Is it really possible the lamp heat is so intense it
can actually burn a hole in the metal, even if it seems
to be somewhat thin? Or could there be some other
explanation?

There is no hot spot, the light is even on the screen, and
it doesnīt get hotter than usual in the front of the
lamphouse.

I didnīt beleive this could happen. In my opinion the
dowser should be made to resist the heat of the lamp at
least for a couple of minutes.

Thomas

|  IP: Logged

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2004 03:22 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is entirely possible. Now I assume your intermission is with the motor off? Otherwise, yowsa that things way out of kilter.

Anywho, I've seen it happen on 3k and 4k houses in simplex 35's...Those dousers are paper thin aluminum or something. The douser in a lot of lamphouses is just as thin unfortunately. I'd recommend looking for a replacement douser much thicker than the previous.
G'luck.

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2004 04:01 PM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the carbon arc/changeover days one of the guys I worked with was always forgetting to close the lamphouse douser. He burned holes in many Century and older Simplex (Super, Regular and E7) shutters. The crews used to hang burned shutters on the wall with chalk arrows pointing to the holes whenever he was scheduled to work a relief trick.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 07-14-2004 04:22 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This picture I posted last April shows a hole burned in a Norelco AAII shutter by a 4K xenon (actual measured power of about 3700 Watts).

(Film Yak Forum, Upload Your Forum Pics, Page 50)

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2004 06:16 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's possible you need a heat filter in your lamphouse. Also, always be sure to close the hand dowser on the lamphouse when the projector motor is not running.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-14-2004 10:15 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen Christie, Ballantyne and Cinemeccanica changeover dowsers all warped or burned through by lamps as weak as 2K. This can often happen when someone turns the lamp on manually and forgets about it at the end of the show.

Changeover dowsers are designed for brief use. Always use the hand dowser for when the lamp needs to be on for more than a minute or two.

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2004 11:28 PM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to spell it "dowser" too. But in fact, a dowser is someone who uses a divining rod to look for water. A douser is something that extinguishes a light, which is what we do around here.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-15-2004 12:24 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Peter Mork
A douser is something that extinguishes a light, which is what we do around here.

ooops! Mea culpa!

As for the plates themselves, I guess that's one area I'd hand to the Pro35. The DOUSER plate... and the shutter for that matter, are both pretty thick, and don't seem to be negatively affected by brief missteps like leaving a lamphouse in manual.

... of course, I wouldn't know directly...having never done anything like that myself! [Roll Eyes]

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2004 01:09 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jack Ondracek
As for the plates themselves, I guess that's one area I'd hand to the Pro35. The DOUSER plate... and the shutter for that matter, are both pretty thick, and don't seem to be negatively affected by brief missteps like leaving a lamphouse in manual.

It would take one hell of lamp to mess those things up! 1/4" thick!

-

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-15-2004 01:25 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2004 01:45 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn!!!! [uhoh] Is there a gun hiding in your lamphouse?!

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-15-2004 01:48 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Peter Mork
a dowser is someone who uses a divining rod to look for water. A douser is something that extinguishes a light
We've beat that to death in a thread not worth searching for. We all know what's being discussed here.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2004 02:12 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had dousers look like Joe's picture on 2k houses. Strong is making a newer type that is much more resistant. By the look of it I would say it is stainless steel instead of aluminum, but im not a metal expert.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 07-15-2004 07:03 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dan Lyons was the last to post
This is true. I havent seen any kind of damage done on ours when the lamp was left on manual for extended periods of time.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: