Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Big Pile O' Duplicate Trailers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Big Pile O' Duplicate Trailers
Daniel Alt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2004 10:22 AM      Profile for Daniel Alt   Email Daniel Alt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So for my summer project I've been sorting the trailer closet at the college film society where I project.

We have some duplicates.

OK, we have a LOT of duplicates. 4 large boxes so far, and probably more by the time I finish.

Now, I've searched back through, and read the threads about returning trailers, but they seem to suggest that they would need to be sorted by studio. Many of these no longer have the original labels attached, and it would be a big pain to go through on the order of ~200 trailers (or more) looking up the studio for each movie on the imdb.

I called my local ETS depot, and they said that when they return used reels for recycling, it goes to the manufacturer (Kodak, Fuji, etc.), and that it wasn't worth the effort for them to sort trailers by film stock. Which is quite understandable.

So my question is.. is my remaining option to just take these things and throw them in the trash? It would be nice to find some way to recycle them, but anything that involves shippipng them too far would be cost prohibitive. As we all know, film is HEAVY. Unless I can get one of those "Shipping Labels" I've read so much about for a company that doesn't particularly care WHAT trailers I'm sending them.

Or, if someone wants to come to Cleveland and just take them all off our hands...?

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-09-2004 10:47 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just pitch 'em, that's what I'd do. No point carrying all that in your booth. If someone had wanted them, they would've called for them by now.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2004 10:50 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daniel -- When we accumulate a large collection of trailers at the theater, I don't bother sorting them by studio. We still have a stack of labels, probably left over from the previous owners years ago, that go to Technicolor, Right Side Up (Fox), Warner Brothers, and some other strange name I can't remember right now. I remember one of them went to Wilmington, Ohio. I just fill a box, slap on the next label on the stack (unless theres more of a particular studio, then I try to use the closest match) and send them off. If you want a couple, email me.

They're all prepaid UPS labels. I know it must piss off whoever they're going to if they don't deal with trailers anymore, but I like to think that I'm at least putting forth an effort to get them recycled. Better than throwing them out myself, I guess.

You could always just put the box out after the show with a sign: FREE! One per customer. They'll go quick! [Wink]

Are there any cool trailers in the bunch that you've come across? Pre-1995 perhaps?

=TMP=

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-09-2004 10:57 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they're older titles and not vinegar or damaged, please send them to me. I will pay shipping. Seriously.

If it's all stuff from the last couple of years, I'd toss them if they're all uninteresting titles. Keep some for projectionist training/practice, though.

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2004 12:48 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Verify that the trailers are identical. You may have teasers and trailer Versions A/B/C....

Also confirm that you keep the best one(s).

Trade the duplicates for needed trailers?

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2004 01:26 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have sorting boxes for Warner, Fox, Paramount and Buena Vista... but the only trailers we send back are Fox and Paramount, the rest are tossed, only sorted as a hangover from the ARS days.

Kids movies get saved and cut up for birthday parties

Daniel Alt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2004 02:02 PM      Profile for Daniel Alt   Email Daniel Alt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see.. yes, lots of pre-1995 trailers, although mostly those aren't dupes, but single copies.

I'll look through for older ones in the dupe pile, I seem to recall seeing a few. Thomas, I'll get back to you, but I may take you up on those shipping labels.

Jeff, yes I'm being careful to keep one of every version (just in case we need both scope and flat versions of two different revisions of the "Sorority Boys" trailer at some time in the future).

Thanks for the input.

Daniel Alt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2004 01:30 AM      Profile for Daniel Alt   Email Daniel Alt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After reading several thousand posts about how simply throwing film in the garbage may (or may not) be a Bad Thing(tm) environmentally speaking, I'm simply trying to figure out how to dispose of all these things in a way that is NOT the equivalent of dropping all these boxes on a flock of baby seals.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-10-2004 07:54 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can get them back to a film exchange, they can reuse them (if properly labeled and in good condition), or dispose of them properly. Most send their scrap film to the Kodak FPC Film Salvage facility in Mountain City, TN:

http://www.fpchollywood.com/fscsalvage.html

quote:
Since the 1950’s, the Film Salvage Company (FSC) has provided anti-piracy support to the motion picture film industry through the secured destruction and environmental disposal of used motion picture film.

Approximately 20 million pounds of film are destroyed and recycled annually, and in March of 2000, FSC was recognized by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for its recycling program.

FSC is a division of FPC, Inc., which happens to be a subsidiary of the Eastman Kodak Motion Picture Group. We are located in Hollywood, California; Mountain City, Tennessee; and Milan, Italy.

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2004 10:37 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When returning prints, fill the extra space in the shipping cases with duplicate trailers.

Daniel Alt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2004 12:00 PM      Profile for Daniel Alt   Email Daniel Alt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John:
What is a "Film Exchange"? I called my local ETS depot, and they won't take them. Would this involving driving the film down to Wilmington?

Jeff:
We can try that. At two movies per week, and room for probably no more than 6 or so trailers per can, I estimate we'd have them all gone in about 3 years.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-10-2004 03:04 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sending surplus trailers with prints is not a useful strategy. You'll either send them to your local ETS depot, who is not prepared to deal with them, or you'll send them to Technicolor in Wilmington, who is also not prepared to deal with them.

In both cases, no one who could actually use the trailer is going to benefit.

Send them to Scott if you're running out of space to keep them in your own inventory.

--jhawk

Daniel Alt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2004 04:13 PM      Profile for Daniel Alt   Email Daniel Alt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott'll be getting a nice care package from me once I'm done cataloging the entire collection. But that'll still leave a ton of film to dispose of.

Can I build a home film recycling lab in my basement? A few vats of chemicals and some PVC pipe, and I'm cranking out my own recycled tires and welcome mats in no time?

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 07-10-2004 04:39 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have any policy trailers? I'd be verry interested in takin them off your hands!

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2004 04:50 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daniel, I'd also be interested to see what titles you have. I'm a trailer freek and would gladly take some off your hands. Just drop me an email.

AJG

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: