Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Neumade "Tape Holder Roller" -- $26.80?! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Neumade "Tape Holder Roller" -- $26.80?!
Robert L. Fischer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2004 03:47 AM      Profile for Robert L. Fischer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it just so happens that while assembling our print of King Arthur today, I lost what I assume to be the "Tape Holder Roller" to one of our Neumade splicers. I looked all over for it and I can't find it anywhere. Now I'm assuming that this "Tape Holder Roller" is what I'm looking for -- the little drum thing that goes inside of the roll of tape -- but their website advertises it for a whopping $26.80. That seems like way too much for what amounts to a small metal cylinder with a notch on each end. Does anyone know how I could obtain one for less, or if perhaps I am reading about the wrong part? If I don't get this resolved, my boss is going to kill me. [uhoh]

|  IP: Logged

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2004 03:59 AM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$26.80? - Fiddlesticks!

I made my own, out of epoxy plumber's putty (buy it at your local hardware store). Mix up a glob of it and stick it in the middle of a tape roll. When it hardens, slide it out and drill a hole through the middle (or you can poke one in with the spindle when it's still soft). Voila! A cheap substitute that fits perfectly.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-07-2004 06:10 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Your boss will kill you over $26.80? That seems a little excessive. Besides, it doesn't just disappear. It probably rolled under a lamphouse. You'll find it.

Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2004 08:06 AM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet the 26.80 that Somebody tossed it accidentally when getting rid of the tape roll. Many times immediatly realizing what I was doing have I had to jump back in after tossing it. Funny stuff.

Robert L. Fischer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2004 08:42 AM      Profile for Robert L. Fischer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I lost it because the push-pin that holds the roll in is broken and if you pick up the splicer without giving care to keep it from falling out, it will fall right on the floor. There's good chance it will show up someday, but our booths are way overcrowded and there are just too many places it could have fallen into. I might give the epoxy plumber's putty a try and see what my boss says about it.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2004 12:34 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you could also try taking one from another splicer to a machine shop and see how much it would cost to get one fabricated.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-07-2004 01:25 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$26.80 is not unreasonable since it is a replacement part that has to be stocked and sit on a self till sold and in inventory

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-07-2004 01:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the thing probably costs a dollar to build.

Neumade buys it from the factory for $3

Neumade sells it to a distributor for $8

The distributor sells it to your dealer for $16

The dealer sells it to you for $26.80 and tacks on a shipping charge of $10 (of which about $2 is the actual cost of the shipping).

If the roller was a fast moving part that is sold every day, the cost progression would be a lot less per step.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2004 02:00 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try a small wood spool, we have an old CES splicer that usues such a thing. To me, $26.80 seems pretty cheap for a hunk of cinema metal. [Smile]

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2004 02:51 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robert L. Fischer
There's good chance it will show up someday, but our booths are way overcrowded and there are just too many places it could have fallen into.
just like our booth. we even have holes in the floor so you never know if that nut/whatever you just dropped may be in the building void. you can still find old carbons and whatnot down in there.

carl

Robert L. Fischer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2004 03:03 PM      Profile for Robert L. Fischer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$26.80 was the price on Neumade's website, but I guess it might be a third-party distributor.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-07-2004 03:12 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The price on the web-site is list and is there for convenience. a dealer should quote it at less if you have a good relationship or minimum to handle the transaction...remember that part swam in from Japan [Wink]

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2004 04:40 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robert L. Fischer
I lost it because the push-pin that holds the roll in is broken
I guess management couldn't afford to replace that, either? [Roll Eyes]

It seems that problems, if left uncorrected, beget other problems. Perhaps that's why they're problems. [Big Grin]

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2004 06:50 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "push pin" is defined by Neumade as the Tape Roller Retainer Assembly and lists for $18.50 on my price guide (October 8, 1996). All together, Robert's manager will spend $45.30 in parts and roughly $8.00 S&H. All totaled about $54.00. Using the numbers here at our theater, that means the concession stand must sell sixteen large drinks to cover all costs. Maybe this expense will cut into your manager's concession bonus, and thus the reason as to why he/she will be pissed.
Take Chris' advice and find a local machinist to help you out. It NEVER hurts to have extra splicer parts on hand no matter how simple they are. Greg Muller might be of some help, but I'm not sure if he still posts since the closure of the political forums.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2004 09:39 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
all of our Neumade "Tape Roller Retainer Assemblies" have been replaced with a same-sized $0.15 screw from Home Depot.

You can find all kinds of booth parts at Home Depot. I wouldn't be surprised if they started stocking exciter bulbs. [Cool]

=TMP=

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: