Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Snow on the screen

Author Topic: Snow on the screen
Jacob Szewczyk
Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2004 02:30 PM      Profile for Jacob Szewczyk   Email Jacob Szewczyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off , I'd like to say hi to everyone. I'm new here and am hoping that you guys can help me.
At my thearter, in just about every thearter and with just about every print, on the right side there is always this "snow" think. It looks like a scratch at first, but it isn't a solid line. It looks like it is snowing on the screen but the snow is black. Any idea what is causing this and what can be done about it?

We use CFS consoles and CFS Super Platters.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-04-2004 02:38 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jacob Szewczyk
You have my sympathies. [evil]

Seriously, the console doesn't matter in this case, but the much-maligned CFS platter may have a misadjusted diagonal roller in the brain- this MAY be causing this type of damage.

Also what type of projectors are you running here? Let's rule everything out before we cast all blame on CFS' wonderful products [Big Grin]

-Aaron

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2004 02:41 PM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forums. [Smile] Your problem sounds like dirt deposits, do the little black specks seem to flicker? If it's only showing up on one side, I'd guess you have a roller rubbing somewhere and causing either base or emulsion side scraping on that side. Look for a roller that regularly accumulates a purple or white stripe of dust on one end. I'm sure others will be along shortly to offer more educated responses. Good luck!

- Mike

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-04-2004 02:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jacob Szewczyk
Indeed, sympathy all around!!!

Those are pad roller marks. You need to change them out and then get them aligned properly. They should spin freely with 2 thicknesses of film in between the sprocket and pad roller, but be snug when you use 3 film thicknesses. Older Simplexes and Centurys used a style of pad roller that had an inner groove which was unnecessary, but what it did was if your clearance was just a little bit too tight, it would put those marks on the right side of the projected image as well as the right analog audio channel.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-04-2004 10:03 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Brad -- pad roller scuffing. Check your clearances and be sure they are all turning freely.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-05-2004 06:06 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a location with 6 CFS consoles. Can I have some sympathy too?

Jacob Szewczyk
Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2004 09:22 AM      Profile for Jacob Szewczyk   Email Jacob Szewczyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks alot, I'll check all this stuff when I get into work tomorrow. And from what I can see, I'm not the only one who thinks CFS is a piece of [bs] . I'm stuck with * CFS platters and 9 consoles.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-05-2004 12:31 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chain-wide, I am still stuck having to deal with with 27 CFS consoles and 15 Blue Super Platters... [Mad]

-Aaron

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-05-2004 01:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Mike, anyone with CFS anything gets full sympathy...even you. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: