Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » JS200 switches back to SR after last show cue.

Author Topic: JS200 switches back to SR after last show cue.
Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2004 04:19 PM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ultra Stereo JS200, DA20, CNA 150, 701 reader.

After the the end show cue goes through, the js200 does switch to non sync, on the DA20 you see the digtal and analog light go out, As it is should do, but before the rest of the film feeds out of the proj you see the anolog light on the da20 turn on(analog). They say this has happen since they were tere.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 07-03-2004 04:24 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I notice that sometimes the JS200 switches into SR if it detects a lot of sound coming through. Try placing the end cue closer to the end of the tail, or place another end cue near the end of the tail.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2004 05:25 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say it depends on your automation, and correct me if I'm wrong but...Isn't the "end of show" cue technically the "intermission" cue?
Place 2 intermission cues in subsequent order should close the douser and then when it hits the second return to normal operation, douser open, etc.

On one of my houses the DTS unit confuses our JS-200. The close cue comes through, the douser closes, and the system tails out correctly but the DTS unit detects timecode up until the very tail and so it switches back into DTS and when it runs out it fails to SR and stays there.
Not sure if that's your problem, you didn't say, but it could be.
Some films it doesn't do that others it does.
The best way I've found around it is to place the cue later.
About 2.3 feet from the beginning of the tail (where there's no DTS timecode) does the job for me. We have a Century SA in that house, I just measured the path one day. Your projector may make a slight difference, and it depends on where your cue detector is.

As for excessive noise causing it to switch formats, I havn't had the problem...(yet)

G'luck, hope this helped.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-04-2004 12:01 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike (re:cue placement) and Dom are both correct.

Set up your auto (with an extra cue or programming) to execute a second sound change to non-sync somewhere near the physical end of the film's tail, and the problem will stop.

-Aaron

Michael Elam
Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2004 12:05 PM      Profile for Michael Elam   Email Michael Elam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on your automation, what we do is add another cue AFTER the shutdown cue almost at the very end of the tail, this cue for us sends us back to Non Sync and then the film runs out.
Also depending on your automation you can make a slight wiring change in your logic pulse to the DA20 that will stop it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: