Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » ORC 1000 lens and setup

Author Topic: ORC 1000 lens and setup
Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2004 06:43 AM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm presantly converting over to a ORC 1000 lamp house on my Simplex E7 mounted on a 5 point base in my garage.
I've been given a new front lens for the ORC and not sure which way the glass should be mounted in the round ring opening.

Also......how far should the lamphouse opening be from the shutter opening...........what would be a starting point.
I down loaded the ORC 1000 manual from Film-Tech but it is not complete...........it goes from figure 1-1.......then jumps to figure 6-1 wiring etc. Figure 2, 3, 4, 5, are missing.

How low can you set the amps to lower brightness as I have a 17 foot throw...........currently its set at 28 amps......and I have some slight flicker.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

|  IP: Logged

Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2004 10:15 PM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ORC M1000 book says 8.0 to 8.5 inches from the lamp house front bulkhead surface to the film plane, with "8.25 inches nominal."

There will be differing opinions as to how low you should run the lamp current. My personal choice would be run at normal operating current and install a three blade shutter in the E7 to eliminate the flicker. I wouldn't run the lamp current really low for any length of time.

The manual text does not specify a direction for the negative lens. However, a parts drawing shows it with the flat side toward the lamp.

Hope this helps.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2004 12:40 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and don't forget to put the 2 heat filters back on in the right direction also. They're good stuff. [thumbsup]

danny

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2004 12:21 PM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info...............I had the glass lens in reverse.
What is the normal amp setting for a 1000W bulb?

And what is a heat filter that I'm to besure and put in the right direction?

Paul

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-30-2004 12:39 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the M1000 lamphouse is rated for a 700watt lamp only
there is several topics and posts regarding the issues over the name

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2004 01:38 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very true. I run a 700w in mine at 31amps and get excellant screen brightness.
You can do a search on the heat filters too. The coated side should be facing the bulb.

danny

Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2004 02:16 PM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The two piece heat filter that attaches to the very front, also called the "hot mirror", is only required for 16mm use.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2004 03:08 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heat filters are good things and should always be used if available. [Razz]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-30-2004 07:31 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dan Lyons
Heat filters are good things and should always be used if available.
I agree! [Smile]

Even though low powered lamps are unlikely to damage the film with too much radiant energy, getting rid of the unwanted IR with a heat filter does help reduce any thermal effects like "focus flutter", especially with silver-image B&W prints.

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2004 08:04 PM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the normal amperage setting for a 700 / 750 watt bulb ?
I'm not sure what the wattage is in my ORC 1000.
Does 30 amps sound correct, avg etc?

Paul

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: