Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Multiple strikes Lamp

Author Topic: Multiple strikes Lamp
Peter John Anthony. C
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2004 10:50 AM      Profile for Peter John Anthony. C   Email Peter John Anthony. C   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Sir,

How are You all at Film-Tech?

My name is John Peter Anthony, Can call me peter.

I am a new member to this forum. Thanks to Film-Tech for giving me this opportunity [Smile]

I am a regular reader of Film-Tech Forum since I got to know the site.

I required small help & your views regarding the 2weeks new ltilamp, when i switch ON the lamp in a COLD CONDITION, it take 5 to 9 strikes & then turns ON.

I got Mr. John Pytlak email ID while reading Film-Tech Forum.

I asked him the same quire he had very well replied me on that same day itself. I once again thank you John Sir.
But the technical support Christie guy’s don’t agree that lamp life reduces when it take multiple strike in COLD CONDITION & days are passing by.

Before informing my Boss i wanted to reconfirm with all the other experts with the same quire.

IN DETAIL
We are using Christie Projector model no: SLC 45/70-34Z.
In our 2weeks old 4.5k LTI Xenon lamp.
When we initiate the lamp in the morning to get ready for our first show, where the lamp is in a COLD CONDITION, it takes 5 to 9 strikes & then turns ON. Is it advisable for a new lamp to take 5 to 9 strikes?

We have also replaced the 2 weeks old lamp with a new lamp & also changed the Igniter, but there is no improvement. Lamp turns ON. only after 5 to 9 strikes. Voltage measured today is R-225, Y-225, and B-230, Phase to phase R-Y 391f, R-B 394f, and B-Y 396f. Strikes 5 times and the taping are at 4, lamps current & volt reading: 150amps/26volts.

Does the extra strikes effects the life of the lamp? Does it reduce lamps working hours? Any other defects for lamp, please advise.

A prompt suggestion to the topic would be appreciated.

Peter,
IMAX Adlabs.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-26-2004 10:59 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The number of ignitions does affect lamp life about 1hr per strike
What is the DC no load of the rectifier it may be too low some makes of lamps want a higher noload voltage than others
you would probably be better off with a Christie/Ushio lamp in your circumstance since that is what the rectifier was designed around in the first place

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-26-2004 01:25 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the no load voltage does not turn out to be the problem, you can adjust the resistor in the Christie igniter, then it will strike more readily. Kill the power, open the igniter, the adjustable resistor is in the right upper corner. Loosen the metal clamp, sliding it over a little to the right will make the igniter strike faster.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-26-2004 02:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed with Gordon and Mike on their tips. For what it's worth, I have had poor performance with LTI lamps all around, but mostly when used with Christie consoles. You should SERIOUSLY consider purchasing only Christie/Ushio lamps in the future. They will easily run double their rated life if used in an SLC console (assuming you have proper exhaust cooling).

Ever hear of the phrase "you get what you pay for"? It's so true it hurts. Sure the Christie lamps are a little more expensive, and sure the SLC console is a little more expensive, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to do the math that in 1-2 year's time the Christie console with Christie lamp becomes cheaper to operate year after year...plus you get better performance and reliability.

Ferdinando Innocenti
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2004 03:02 PM      Profile for Ferdinando Innocenti   Email Ferdinando Innocenti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm not so familiar with LTI lamps, but I was thinking about the ignition wire (thin wire between anode and cathode): is it ok?
I use osram, in Italy it's the most sold lamp brand; what do you think about it?

Nando

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-26-2004 04:20 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christie lamps are the best as far as I am concerned. It has been my experience that Osram and LTI do not hold up as well as the Christie.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-26-2004 06:17 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Please keep the thread on-topic. The "What's your favorite brand of lamp" issue has been beat to death in this thread.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: