Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » I have diagonal emulsion scratches on my Riddick print (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I have diagonal emulsion scratches on my Riddick print
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2004 09:57 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How does this happen? I know I threaded it right. I wasn't working when it happened. It is sporadic on the right side towards the center.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-25-2004 11:24 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
324 posts and you still haven't learned the basics of posting help topics???

What kind of projectors? What kind of platters? Do you run soundtrack up or down? Describe the scratches in painful detail too.

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2004 11:58 PM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not easy to diagnose fron here. One thing to do is examine the scratches and see if they repeat in a pattern. For instance, if a long scratch repeats every six inches, then a roller of that circumference is the likely culprit.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-26-2004 12:18 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brenkert....Intermittent sprocket film stripper is not adjusted correctly and probably bent.

Ballentyne PRO-35....That lay-on roller before the holdback sprocket is probably of the old style. Normally, they give horizontal scratches.

Simplex in general: Intermittent film sprocket stripper loose and ready to fall off.

Century: Same thing.

Platters: Badly warped dish. If I got this correct by thinking the sound track is wound down on the platter instead of up, the warled platter could give emulsion scratches.

Just a few ideas....

You said
quote: Richard Greco
It is sporadic on the right side towards the center
Right side on the screen? That would be side opposite the sound track. Could be the angle roller on the platter (CFS, POTTS, Strong)

More than likely, the film is beating in the projector or partially derailing in the pay-out head, probably the film stripper.

Could be a roller going "Wooga Wooga," too.

If it is just slightly off center, I would guess a sprung or loose film stripper rather than the platter. If it is a pro-35, replace that lay-on roller between the int sprocket and the holdback, or just take them off and throw them in your bone box.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-26-2004 05:54 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to Brad's questions, a photo of the affected frames also helps diagnose the cause of any scratches or abrasion marks. The exact repeat pattern can identify a particular roller or component. Diagonal scratches are almost always platter scratches, or from film riding up on a roller.

Fabrice Dubourg
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2004 06:58 AM      Profile for Fabrice Dubourg   Email Fabrice Dubourg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Platter, I suppose
when make-up table output roller is not at the same level as the platter used to mount the film

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2004 08:11 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK

Sorry

Platters are Speco LP-270
Projectors are Century SA
Soundheads are Century

It didn't happen during buildup because it was fine during the screening.
I think it was the other projectionist last week.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-26-2004 09:31 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the key is how far apart are the bursts of scratchs and then how far apart are the individual scratchs
If they are in the centre area I would bet it is a roller that has intermitently stopped turning and that the film was incorrectly threaded over it so that it gouged every so often
One should be able to ind emulsion residue where the problem occured

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-26-2004 02:22 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
What kind of projectors? What kind of platters? Do you run soundtrack up or down? Describe the scratches in painful detail too.
Well Richard, you answered HALF of the questions. You sure you want answers? [Razz]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-26-2004 04:25 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we should ask that doorperson [Big Grin]

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2004 11:33 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok, the other two answers are...

Soundtrack is up.

The scratches are green and just to the right of the center on screen. They are diagonal. They sort of strobe past like they arent on every frame. They range from top to botton screen. I don't think the average customer would notice it but I did.

And Gordon, I know you are being sarcastic, but that doorperson is in a wheelchair.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2004 11:52 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, this thread is getting dumb.

First off, Mr. Miller asked THREE questions, and made one demand. Mr. Greco answered two of the three, thereby answering TWO THIRDS not HALF of the questions.

Second, just because someone is in a wheelchair doesn't mean you can't ask them questions. And sarcasm has nothing to do with their handicap.

Anymore fisticuffs like this, and I am closing this thread. [Mad]

=TMP=

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-27-2004 12:08 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check your rollers for misalighnment. Make sure the picture area is not rubbing across the deck of the platter. Make sure the film is not running up on the flangs of the rollers causing the surface of the picture area to rub against the keeper rollers.

Make sure when the film makes it's return path to the takeup platter, the sound track needs to be close to the roller tree when it coms off the final return roller. So that the film doesn't bounce as it is winding around the ring.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-27-2004 01:15 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Greco
They are diagonal. They sort of strobe past like they arent on every frame. They range from top to botton screen.
Which direction are they diagonal? And what do you mean by "strobe past" and "range from top to bottom screen"?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-27-2004 01:41 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has the problem gotten worse, or was it a one-time deal? If it was a one-time deal, you'll probably never find the problem. More than likely, it was a derailment on a roller or a cocked roller.

Make up a reel of "clean previews," run it through a couple of times and see if the scratches are there. If not, it was a threading error when the orginal damage occurred.

I see this as a common problem in a poorly lit booth. A poorly lit booth is a disaster waiting for a place to happen.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: