Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Black Shadow On Flat Films. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Black Shadow On Flat Films.
Brandon Lokesak
Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2004 01:16 PM      Profile for Brandon Lokesak   Email Brandon Lokesak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright I know I posted this before but i never really got an answer and I messed around alittle bit more and got some new results. I posted before that on my flat films there is always a shadow or darker area on the left and right sides running top to bottom I filed the plate but they are still there however when i have just the bulb running and no film in i can get rid of the shadows by turning the focus knob it makes the bulb area so crisp but when the film is threaded the film is way out of focus. Any Ideas here? Its a cinemecannica 2000 watt lamphouse with a century sa its not the bulb because we have tried other bulbs with the same problem. Thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-24-2004 01:32 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need to run a test loop with the aperture plate removed to make sure that the correct part of the image is filling the appropriate area of the screen, in other words checking the projector aim, the lens focal length, lens mount alignment, and the screen masking. If those are correct and the picture looks okay projecting with no plate (not counting the excess spill of the picture beyond the screen) and putting the plate back in causes shadows then you do need to file it out. But if you cannot project a proper picture without the plate (again, the spill not withstanding) then don't touch the plate and work on fixing whatever really is wrong. Isn't that what you were told the last time?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-24-2004 01:56 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brandon Lokesak
however when i have just the bulb running and no film in i can get rid of the shadows by turning the focus knob it makes the bulb area so crisp but when the film is threaded the film is way out of focus. Any Ideas here?
your are focusing the aperture when you do that. The edges of the plate become sharp in focus. That is why you are out of focus for the film.

Check your bulb focus spread using the scope lens. Make sure the light is evenly spread accross the screen.

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2004 03:47 PM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anothe thought - is there a screw-on tube at the front of the lens that might be blocking some of the light? This has been known to happen. Replace any tube with a shorter one and see if it makes a difference.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-24-2004 06:19 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could this be vignetting due to optical centerline of the lens being mis-aligned (especially with an extremely short focal point lens?) Is there a chance the project beam is being clipped as it goes out the porthole? Is is possible that the aperature place is screwed up.

I agree - time to run some alignment test film. There is umpteen things that can cause the problem.

Brandon Lokesak
Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2004 07:23 PM      Profile for Brandon Lokesak   Email Brandon Lokesak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I filed the apature i took only a little bit off and u could see a faint line from the soundbar but the shadow was still there so i dont think that it is the apature plate. The image isnt being clipped off by the port window to my knowledge because u can still see the picture its not really completely black its just a shadow in a way. I got one theatre pretty close but not perfect by moving the lens back in the lens mount a bit but that doesnt make any sense to me because thats just focusing it with out turning the knob. Thanks for all the help im getting this time around.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-24-2004 10:03 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the throw and lens size?

Kill the xenon lamp, wait about 5 seconds or so and look down the barrel. You might see something.

How much area does the projected light cover on the final element of the lens?

What kind of projector, and what kind of xenon?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-24-2004 10:49 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take the apperture out and see if the shadow is gone if it is then it is the culprit and its edges will have to be delt with
If it is still there then it is something else

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2004 10:50 PM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its possible it might be the actual gate thats causing the shadow. Pull out the aperture with a white screen and see if the shadow is still there. If it is remove the gate/trap and see if its still there. If it isnt, for some reason ive seen the light clip the metal of the hole that leads to the aperture itself. [beer]

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2004 03:26 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's obvious, but I figure it oughta be pointed out anyway...
Whenever you're diddling with your bulb with no film in the gate make sure to close your dowser every 30 seconds or so so as not to crack the lens. It's not a pretty picture. (Pun intended.)

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2004 07:49 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Working with a lot of small screening rooms, I frequently see this problem with short focal length lenses, specifically under 2.75" lenes. The problem is caused by the lens being so far back toward the gate that it picks up the little bit of ambiant light that is visable around the aperture plate cutout. If the film was right up against the plate, this would not happen, but that can not be, otherwise the plate would scratch the film. I Never did find a solution for this, other than bringing in the masking a little to cover it.

/Mitchell

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-25-2004 09:32 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is one of the advantages of the small lens that Zeis placed directly behind the apperture was to convert the cone of light into parrallel light. It matched the projection lens and greatly improved sharpness and contrast and light transmision
Meo still uses them on their projectors

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2004 11:32 AM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brandon,
Have you checked if the working distance of the mirror to the film gate it is to lamphouse specs? Also is it a vertical or horizontal lamphouse?

C.

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2004 11:32 AM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oops mistake. [Roll Eyes]
C.

Ron Keillor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2004 08:46 PM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be useful to know the width of the shadow on the screen.
At Oakridge there is a distinct lack of reflectivity on one side of the screen in theatre 3 when showing 'Scope which matches the width of the masking when brought out for 'flat' pictures, as if the surface might have been abraded or there have been a chemical interaction between the masking material and the screen surface.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: