Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SCDC platters

Author Topic: SCDC platters
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2004 12:55 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last weekend I visited a theater that has the Strong SCDC platters. I like what I saw. Nice smooth payout. Much better than the microswitch and even phase control versions of the AP platter. But this theater is only a month old. Has anyone worked with these platters for a year or even two? Are they still as reliable then as they are when they are brand new? Do they really require no timing whatsoever? (I am under the impression that is what the "Self Calibrating" is all about, right?)

Thanks for your feedback.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-24-2004 02:00 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ken Lackner wrote:
Thanks for your feedback.
No problem!

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2004 11:22 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They calibrate themselves each time they are powered up. They work great, but I advise buying spare replacement LED boards after 5 years as they light output dims too much and the board shuts down due to an optical error. The platters run great. Check the solder joints on the power supply boards (there are 3 of them) in the 'variac box' as bad solder joints develop after a year. Once it's resoldered it's good to go for a long time.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-24-2004 11:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are alot of them in our service area although we still prefer to sell our customers an AW-3 in most cases. As for the control modules... I've replaces all the old style modules with the latest and have had zero failures. Also never had any power supply problems or cracking solder flow. Some of the SCDC platters in my area are 7 or 8 years old making them some of the very first SCDC's. I like them alot myself as they are very little trouble for all involved.

Mark

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2004 01:13 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The power supply board problems I mentioned are the solder joints at bridge rectifier. Actually had a couple of 'em burn holes thru the pc board, but it was an easy fix and the bridge rectifiers are a common NTE cross reference.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2004 07:05 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

I didn't think there were any SCDC's that old. I thought Strong was selling the DMC's back then.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-25-2004 09:34 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark I thought you only liked the microswitch payouts [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-25-2004 08:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yea, I still do prefer the micro version. Its still the best bang for the buck as long as you use .5oz. micros. We have several customers that have quite a number of Strong Digital platters though.

Mark @ CLACO

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2004 07:56 AM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been running them for over four years with no problems. Very reliable. I have five of the older platters with microswitches. Just finished replacing all the microswitches on them. So far, the SCDC's have outperformed the older version, hands down.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: