Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Will the Reel Projectionists from Ohio Please Stand Up? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Will the Reel Projectionists from Ohio Please Stand Up?
Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2004 09:13 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering how many projectionists or other people from Ohio we have at Film-Tech. I have seen various names throughout my thread searching that were listed as from Ohio. I would like to get to know my fellow Ohioan Film-Techers, So stand up and be proud that you are from The Heart of it All! Besides then I know who to ask for when I go to see a film and want to see the projection booth. This drives my wife insane!!!

Speaking of which has anyone else seen the booth for the new Marquee Cinemas in Aurora Ohio? They have some nice new equipment, (Simplex 35's, all digital, and actual moving screen ads before the show) but their building exterior and lobby leave a little to be desired. If you have ever been in a Cinemark Tinseltown within the past um.....15 years or so then you know what their lobby looks like. That look is so over. The 50 neon different colors look is so old. Can't they come up with something new? I was not impressed.

Josh

|  IP: Logged

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2004 10:38 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great Lakes Science Center OMNIMAX Theater

I believe that Marquee Cinemas in Aurora, Ohio, is non-union. It is in the Akron Local's jurisdiction.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2004 10:43 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is the most anoying website I've ever seen!

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2004 01:01 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I live three miles from the Pennsylvania - Ohio border and graduated from Youngstown State University in 1998. I'm more familiar with Ohio than I am with my own state. The General managers of both Cinemark Theatres in Boardman (Mahoning County) are very close friends of mine. The parent company I work for owns the University Plaza Theaters in Kent (Portage County) and are former owners of Cinema Kent in the downtown area. We are independent and as for myself have little or no communication with those guys.

Ohio . . . Its a place where nobody was born . . . Its a place in which nobody wants to stay.
Alexis De Toqueville, 1832

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2004 06:26 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeffry,

Are you one of the projectionists at the Science Center? I have often wanted to go there just to see the set-up. I was at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame several times and was tempted to stop by. I would love to see the booth sometime and speak with you.

Aaron,

I live just ten minutes from Kent. I don't go there much as it is a college town. I am familiar with both of those theaters. I spoke to a projectionist that used to work at the plaza your friends own. He said that he hasn't been there for a while though. You are right about Ohio too. Almost everyone I went to high school with moved away, but for some reason everybody always comes back. I have known many people who were dying to leave Ohio and all the snow, but then moved back several years later. I don't know what it is. Weird!

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2004 06:48 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Non-Ohio-an here:
A trucker friend of mine says that OHIO is short for the following:

Oh
Hell
It's
Ohio

Please dont throw rocks at me.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2004 07:32 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's round on the end and high in the middle?
Tell me if you know.
Don't you think that's a cute little riddle?
Round on the end and high in the middle!
You can find it on the map if you look high and low.
The O's are round, the HI in the middle.
O-H-I-O That's the riddle!
Round on the end and high in the middle.

OOOOOOO-HIIIIII-OOOOOOOOO!

(As recorded by The Best Damn Band in the Land, the OSU Marching Band)

Round On The End, Hi in the Middle

Back to the topic, I have seen very few Ohio names around here. Brian Hogan from AMC Lennox 24 has been around occasionally. Kara McVey from the Delaware Strand has also been known to visit these parts.

Anyway, shouldn't this be a YAK topic?

Robert L. Fischer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2004 03:00 AM      Profile for Robert L. Fischer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I live in Ohio. I almost applied for a job at the Lennox 24 when I was at Ohio State, but I decided it'd be too frustrating to have projectionist experience but have to clean out theaters while the projection booth was tantalizingly close, yet off limits to all but the managers...

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2004 08:43 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I am a full-time projectionist at the Great Lakes Science Center OMNIMAX Theater. Email me if you would like to schedule a tour.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2004 10:53 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert,
I noticed you are from Blanchester. If I remember thats about 30 miles from Cincinnati . . . right? Anyway, the reason I ask is some years ago I went to your town with a former manager looking to purchase his own theatre. There was a three screen for sale. I don't remember much but it was originally a single that had been subdivided. Getting to the middle projector one needed to follow a long hallway resembling a mine shaft. They also had a five tier Potts platter if I'm not mistaken. Do you work here?

Daniel Alt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2004 07:50 PM      Profile for Daniel Alt   Email Daniel Alt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am an Ohioan. (Well, not REALLY, but I've lived here for 13 years, so it's hard to claim to be a Marylander any more)

I am a projectionist for the CWRU Film Society , a college film society in Cleveland. Jeff Johnson, who posted earlier to this thread, is an alum, and still our technical wizard emeritus.

We only show movies Friday and Saturday nights during the school year, so obviously I have a day job. I stand on ladders holding megaphones. It's a niche field, but good work if you can get it.

Robert L. Fischer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2004 01:17 AM      Profile for Robert L. Fischer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, but that is the theater that is actually in the town I live in. The theater that I work at is a 5-plex in Wilmington, which is about 20 minutes from here. I have actually thought about looking into buying the Blanchester movie theater, but at 18 years old, securing a loan doesn't seem likely and I honestly haven't researched enough to know if it's even viable.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2004 08:27 AM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ohio gozaimasu!

Gomenasai--

Sayonara!

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2004 07:15 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, the Wilmington Plaza 5 screen that Chakeres owns. Yeah I've been there too. There was an older gentleman who managed here during the mid-90's. Is he still there? About the time I visited he was about ready to retire. I remember your place was all on the gound level with long, narrow auditoriums. You guys were showing Rob Roy at the time and had kick-ass sound (especially during the sword fight scenes). Overall I thought the place was exceptionally clean and the staff very professional. Given some of your other posts of late it looks like there may have been a drop in integrity. I've witnessed it myself over the years. The staff I work with now often falls short of previous, more adult-mannered workers.

Robert L. Fischer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2004 07:22 PM      Profile for Robert L. Fischer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's still one of the cleanest theaters I've ever seen. We have a very personable staff right now who love their jobs... they are just very hyper and some are a little immature. They're still good kids though. The current manager has done wonders in the past 3 years or so though. After the gentlemen who managed it during the time period you mentioned left (can't remember his name -- Harold, maybe?) things got a little out of control, but the current manager runs a pretty tight ship and we put on a good show given our limitations. I've only been there for about 14 months, but I'm moving up the ranks pretty quickly. Hopefully I'll be running the place after he leaves in about two years. I couldn't be much happier with my job.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: