Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Bad Lamphouse ? (power supplies & bulbs)

Author Topic: Bad Lamphouse ? (power supplies & bulbs)
Juan Angel Linarez
Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2004 12:53 PM      Profile for Juan Angel Linarez   Author's Homepage   Email Juan Angel Linarez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just recetly started working for this theatre i am recently at. But the history of one particular projector has been driving me crazy. Since the theatre has opened( four years) we have gone through a lot of bulbs . This occurs twice a year according to the chart on the console. Also Power supplies seem to want to join the bulbs . Not as often but way to repeatedly. The power supplies go out about once a year. Lamphouse seems to be vented well. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-19-2004 01:11 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please post the type of equipment you use so we can help you determin your problem.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-19-2004 01:16 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Juan.
Welcome to FilmTech!
This is a great place to get the kind of information you're looking for, but we need to know more about what you're working with in order to evaluate your situation.

What brand & model lamphouse are you using? What kind of bulb... brand, wattage... what amperage are you reading?

What kind of power suppies do you have??? Switchers or not? Do you know that the power supply is rated for the amperage you're pulling?

How is your exhaust set up? Where are the blowers, and have you checked them? Separate blowers or one?

There are other questions that people here might ask you, but this is a good place to start a request thread with.

Thanks.
Jack

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2004 03:11 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the power supply vents/intakes clean? How about the inside of the power supply, is it clean? Was this equipment brand new when it was installed or is it used equipment?

Juan Angel Linarez
Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2004 09:27 PM      Profile for Juan Angel Linarez   Author's Homepage   Email Juan Angel Linarez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yeah the most important sorry guys? Well i was so anxious to get an answer i forgot to post that we have
highlight II(7200) and on that console we have a CXL-30R bulb(Christie). Yeah I try to keep that console dust free i keep all vents clean and all blowers and exhaust fan are good.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 06-19-2004 10:27 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Juan: If your power supply uses 3-phase power for the input, make sure the input voltage and INPUT current draw is balanced between all three phases. Any imbalance of more than a few percent >5% means a power source problem. Loose connection, bad fuseholder/breaker, bad contactor. Especially if you've replaced supplies and the problem continues. Also good advice in previous posts about the fans.

Juan Angel Linarez
Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2004 12:43 PM      Profile for Juan Angel Linarez   Author's Homepage   Email Juan Angel Linarez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the obvious stuff has been checked, after all i only have trouble with this one projector. We even changed some breakers. I used a meter to test the current in all three phases. From what i hear some pretty crzy stuff occured in the intalation process of that console. I even checked the current in the breaker panel just to be sure. Oh well untill if figure whats wrong i guess we will just have to spend a little more on this console.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-20-2004 01:35 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wat is the condition of the lamps when they come out that will tell a lot
Is the stems discoloured (that indicates improper cooling((and than can mean too much in the wrong area)))
Is the electrodes pitted (ripple and ignition inrush issues)
Is it overall blackened
Is it flickery and that causes the removal
Is it hard to strike

The magnet can also effect alot of issues

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-22-2004 12:04 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Xenon bulb failure analysis:

http://www.film-tech.com/tips/XENONFAILURE.pdf

Cinema Systems India Article

quote:
Cinema Systems is glad in Ray Boegner telling you all, about the dark secrets of
lighting the screen with xenon technology. In India xenon projectors are rapidly spreading with fresh investments in state-of-the-art screens in modern multiplexes. New technology means that you’ve got your facts straight or you ruin a good relationship. Cinema Systems will continue with in-depth technology articles to give you all the answers to all the questions. However our sincere advise - every theatre owner must treasure these copies in the safe where the daily cash takings are stashed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: