Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Screening Room Lamphouse Questions

Author Topic: Screening Room Lamphouse Questions
Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2004 11:32 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to add xenon lamphouses to my Simplex XL projectors for my screening room. Since 3 phase is not an option I need a single phase solution. I have seen the ORC 110 volt models but they look a little goofy on a big cast iron Simplex base. If I purchase a regular size xenon lamphouse would I be able to run a smaller lamp in it? Does the size of lamp matter in a lamphouse enclosure? If I can run a smaller lamp in it, can I buy a single phase rectifier to run it? Otherwise am I just better off to run an ORC and let it look goofy to sidestep the hassle?

Josh

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-18-2004 11:45 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh, if you can nail down an XPS-16S ORC Power supply and an XH-16S ORC lamp, they should suit your needs perfectly. The light is good from the lamps, and the power supplies are very reliable. Nothing to them, but the reactors have been known to fail in the older models. I ran a ton of the ORC lamps, never had any problems with them as long as they are properly vented. For the stand-alone unit that uses a 1600 Xenon, it is still, to this day, my favorite.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-19-2004 09:19 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one I would sell on the cheapo but the shipping would kill him. Expect to pay 1K to 1500.00 for a decent used ORC 1000 lamphouse.

Mark

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2004 10:58 AM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know of a theatre using a Super Lumex with a Strong Supply mated with a Simplex pedestal and XL head. It works well and looks ok.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2004 11:37 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Super Lume-x lamphouse will take any bulb wattage from 700 watts to 2500 watts. Then just look for the appropriate wattage range power supply. Usually the 700 to 1000 watt high reactance ones are single phase 120 volts.

Matthew Jaro
Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2004 11:47 AM      Profile for Matthew Jaro   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew Jaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have ORC 1000s with the integrated power supply. The control board was so flaky that I had to keep a ton of spares. I always felt lucky when the bulb would ignite. I replaced them with Super Lumex lamp houses and the Strong switching power supplies. As was mentioned they take all sizes up to 2500 watts. They run single phase and are very light weight. The reflectors are much better and the optical alignment is better for Simplex XLs. I'm using strong pedestals with XLs.

Since you have a screening room like I do, I would strongly recommend three blade shutters. This will mean you will have to double the size of the lamp you use, but it's well worth it. No flicker even with no film in the projector (white light on the screen). The action is so much smoother (no strobing with the shutter blades on horizontal pan shots).

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2004 02:09 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joshua Waaland
I have seen the ORC 110 volt models but they look a little goofy on a big cast iron Simplex base.
Nonsense!! I think it looks just fine, especially with an aux. blower sitting on top. [thumbsup]
 -

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-20-2004 02:59 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Danny, the base you have is a LL3. Josh, I think, was talking about a LL1 which is the "cast iron" one. I agree with him that it would look "a little goofy". [Big Grin]

>>> Phil

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-21-2004 12:15 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that a drive-in base, Danny?

I actually have one of the 1600w ORC lamphouses and rectifiers that Paul is talking about and have been trying to get rid of it without much success. It supposedly came from a working theatre. I've never tested it. The reflector is in rought shape. It's cheap. I won't ship it, but I'll deliver it within 100 miles of Boston. Someone please take it off my hands.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2004 04:13 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott said
quote: Scott Norwood
Is that a drive-in base, Danny?
Nope, I've got a nice fat piece of wood under the base to raise the angle.

danny

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: