Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Water Cooling Conditioner

Author Topic: Water Cooling Conditioner
Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2004 06:03 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My manager says that he can't buy the water circulator conditioner fluid at any stores around here anymore, so he's thinking about just not adding any more to our SA cooling systems.

Assuming we added this conditioner when the circulators were installed (6 years ago), do I need to add more conditioner, if I do, what should I buy and where can I get it from?

As of yet, we haven't had any issues with any machines that have cooled gates, but since it was brought up today, I figured I'd find out from everybody here if we actually need it.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2004 06:15 PM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use anti-freeze and distilled water. No problems here [beer]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-17-2004 11:14 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-18-2004 01:21 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the correct mixture is 50/50. Been a long time....

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2004 02:57 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been using the premix antifreeze for over a year now and it has worked well for me.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-18-2004 06:13 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The primary purpose of using the ethylene glycol antifreeze is that the good brands usually contain corrosion inhibitors and will inhibit bacterial growth. They also raise the boiling point of the solution:

http://www.overclockers.com/articles993/

quote:

PC Water Coolant Chemistry - Part I
Physical, Thermal and Chemical Properties of Water
Types of Water (tap, bottled, distilled, DI, etc.)
I'll discuss Part II in a few weeks:

PC Water Coolant Chemistry - Part II
General and Galvanic Corrosion
Water Additives (surfactants, corrosion inhibitors, antifreeze, biocides, etc.)
Maintenance
Basic Coolant Mixtures

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1153/index.asp

quote:
Water has a unique combination of physical, thermal and chemical properties that makes it ideal for use in PC water-cooling systems. However, to help minimize the negative effects of corrosion and prevent the growth of microorganisms, it is necessary to use coolant additives.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-18-2004 06:27 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinoton has been using this stuff called Typhocor (sp?). It is a clear solution that definately has corrosion and rust inhibitors in it. It will give the water a slightly oily feel to it. After a year in service, there has been zero water discoloration, or build up of any type that I can find. The mix on the stuff is 1:5 (five parts distilled water to 1 part Typhocor). It is pricey as all heck but I can't deny it works better than anything else I've seen.

I don't like using common antifreeze...it has always developed this scum like substance on/in it and seems to bring along as many problems as it solves.

I have also used straight distilled water with success.

Typhocor is the first additive I've noticed that seemed to have only benefits, no negatives other than cost.

Steve

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-18-2004 10:37 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the taste of Prestone best.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2004 11:36 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our bighouse is watercooled, we recently had to swap coolers though since the motor on the old one was burning up. I'll be having fun rebuilding that over the next week or so.

Anyhow, we've been using antifreeze and water since I've gotten there and flushing it every now and then keeps the buildup low.
If you use a high enough quality antifreeze the buildup isn't quite so bad. However the cheap stuff seems to create sort of a rubbery gum that really is disgusting to blow out of the trap.
Anyhow, never let 'er run dry!

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2004 10:22 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great, thanks for the advice guys.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-21-2004 08:14 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can use Redline Water Wetter, available at some auto parts stores. This is an anticorrosion aditive that is supposed to also improve the cooling ability of water. I don't like using glycol because of the slippery mess if (when) it gets spilled plus it seems to attack the paint on Little Giant pumps like the new Strong water circulators use. Water wetter is popular in car and bike racing, where glycol is prohibited because of the slippery when spilled problem.
http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp?productID=53

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2004 06:16 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the idea Dave. I found out that the conditioner my bosses are asking about it waterbed conditioner. Apparently they used to add it to the containers once a year and they got worried when Target and Wal-Mart stopped carrying it.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-22-2004 11:38 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The conditioner sold for waterbeds is primarily a biocide, to prevent growth of bacteria and algae in the water. If that's all you want, you could use the biocide additive sold for humidifiers, or maybe a swimming pool algaecide. But you also want a corrosion inhibitor.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-23-2004 03:12 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had to replace the hosing on both our water cooling units because over a few years the cooling system seemed to become nothing but a hugh petri dish with all kinds of disgusting growth; this was mainly because we didn't use any special additives and we used regular tap water.

The replacement tubing that was available from the theatre supply company cost something like $4.00 a foot; we got tubing from a local hardware store which not only had identical inner and outer diameter, but it also had a reenforced fishnet webbing that prevents it from folding at sharp bends. It cost about $0.75 a foot.

On the advice from FTF posts, I began using distilled water treated with the RedLine Water Wetter product that Dave is talking about. Everything -- the tanks, the tubing, the pumps --all stayed spanking clean with no evidence of any slime or organizm growth. I don't know how much the product aids in reducing the water temperature, but even if it is just a little, that is just a bonus over the other advantages it gives the tanks.

I'm very satisfied with this combination and recommend it highly.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: