Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby PS1 capacitor replacement source

Author Topic: Dolby PS1 capacitor replacement source
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-16-2004 06:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know where I can get replacement capacitors for the PS1 power supply?

15000 uF 40VDC
26000 uF 25VDC

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-16-2004 07:21 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have access to the particular mfg and part numbers? There are many formfactors and some "replacements" may not fit in the physical space available.

>>> Phil

Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2004 08:23 PM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take a look at DigiKey. They should have something that fits and their catalog is available online.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-16-2004 08:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
The best thing to do is to go to a local electronics parts house and take the supply with you. These days electrolytic capacitors have actually gotten smaller than they used to be due to better films and other key ingrediants used in making them. There are also much higher quality caps available to boot if you want to spend the bucks. Also, get the highest temperature rating that you can get for those caps 85C is typical and there are higher temperature ratings available as well. If I were going to do a rebuild of one of those supplys I would use Panasonic low ESR alumnium type caps(available from Digi-Key). They are one of the best types of caps for use in high end audio power supplys.

Also.... keep in mind that the DC voltage rating can be higher but never lower than whats in the circuit. The capacitance can also be a bit higher, but too much higher than the original value. So basically something close to what was originally in there is fine if it physically fits.

Mark

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2004 10:16 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, can you give us width and length numbers on these?

I seem to recall they used screw terminals. Is the spacing critical (if it screws into a p.c.b. for example)?

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2004 10:57 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What type are they? Axial, radial, computer grade (screw terms, spacing? diameter? length a problem?).

I usually buy all my capacitors from Mouser (www.mouser.com)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-17-2004 04:24 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Radial, screw terminals, computer grade, rough dimensions 1.25" diameter, 4.5" length

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2004 05:09 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Closest ones I could see in a Mouser catalog are these:

For your 15,000 @ 40 v use # 539-CGS40V12000 ($9.76)

For your 26,000 @ 25 v use # 598-DCMC25V333 ($13.00)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: