Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kelmar cue detector with ball bearing ground rollers. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Kelmar cue detector with ball bearing ground rollers.
Philip Wittlief
Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2004 08:58 PM      Profile for Philip Wittlief   Author's Homepage   Email Philip Wittlief   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got two kelmar cue detector/failsafes I need to try to get working and installed. However, I can't find where the cues are supposed to make contact with ground. It seems that one of two rollers are supposed to make the ground contact, but the entire shaft is grounded except the rollers where the film (and cues) make contact. Are these supposed to be grounded or am I wrong in thinking how this is supposed to work. Here are pictures of the cue detectors I'm talking about to hopefully make it more clear.

-

-

phil

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-14-2004 09:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil,
The entire metal frame is actually ground with the green wire being the electrical ground that you connect to your automation. That particuluar detector was an attempt by Kelmar to actually make the contact type detector more reliable which they were not at the time. It was an improvement but nothing beats an Eprad FP-350 no contact detector for reliability.

Kelmar made and may still make a proximity upgrade kit with a cue stretcher that will fit onto your detector. No matter what automation you have don't expect 100% reliabilty from any type of contact cue detector, especially in a fairly humid area as where you live.

Mark @ CLACO

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2004 09:22 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The two rollers with the wires are not supposed to be grounded. What happens is, when a cue on either edge comes by, it electrically joins these rollers to groung via the other two roller assemblies right next to it. You have to thread through them, and the cue needs to be at least 2 frames in length (your automation may vary), and carefully folded over the edge so as to contact all the rollers. There are essentialy two separate cue detectors with reference to ground. The film travels too fast for any kind of "cross-cue application. These work best when kept spotlessly clean and free rolling.

Philip Wittlief
Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2004 03:28 PM      Profile for Philip Wittlief   Author's Homepage   Email Philip Wittlief   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Rick Long Jr
The two rollers with the wires are not supposed to be grounded. What happens is, when a cue on either edge comes by, it electrically joins these rollers to groung via the other two roller assemblies right next to it.
I know that the two rollers with the wires aren't supposed to be connected to ground, what I'm saying is the other two roller assemblies next to it, give me a ground on everything except for the actual part that the film runs on when I test continuity with a DMM.

As far as getting better cue detectors, I know these aren't very good. The story is I work at an indepedent twin and we haven't run with automation since I've been here. Last fall I got my boss to get me two FM-35's, but due to having DP70's didn't install them immediately as I tried to figure out a mounting technique. In the meantime we opened up another theater and the FM-35's got taken down there 'temporarily' until some could be ordered for that theater. Now that theater is not being successful and it never got its own cue detectors, and doesn't have money to get any. We have these Kelmars laying around so they're going to go down there and I will get our FM-35's back.

phil

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-15-2004 03:45 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this type of detector not only sensed inboard or outboard edge foil cues, but also if a cue was placed directly across from edge to edge. So it could do "three" functions.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-17-2004 01:10 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's right, the big rollers at the left/rear of the picture are the cross-cue. Place a foil straight across the film (on whichever side of the film contacts it - I think the base side). It does run past very fast, and Kelmar had pulse-stretchers in their Deluxe Automations for the cross-cue. The larger roller diameter also helped lengthen the time the foil was in contact with it.

Unless I am mistaken, the inboard cross cue bearing is the isolated one, and grounds against its outboard mate. Consequently, if you make inboard cues longer than 4-6 frames, it will also trip the cross cue by grounding it to the front ground roller.

Of course, the big problem with this pickoff is that you can't get the proper bearings for them anymore. When it was designed, the bearings from Kelmar were conductive, and (I was told) specially-made for the application. Off the shelf replacements, however, lose conductivity after just a few weeks and you end up missing cues.

Philip Wittlief
Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2004 03:32 PM      Profile for Philip Wittlief   Author's Homepage   Email Philip Wittlief   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tim Reed
Of course, the big problem with this pickoff is that you can't get the proper bearings for them anymore. When it was designed, the bearings from Kelmar were conductive, and (I was told) specially-made for the application. Off the shelf replacements, however, lose conductivity after just a few weeks and you end up missing cues.

Alright that must be the problem. Is it possible that the original bearings are no longer conductive. I have not idea whether they've been replaced or not. Either way it appears the bearings are not conductive anymore and that is my problem. So since they are no longer made anymore, is there any use for these detectors anymore, or should they just be thrown out? (yes I know if they were working they're still crappy and probably should be thrown out.)

phil

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-17-2004 10:41 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, they were okay when they worked - but just okay, nothing spectacular. But since you can't get reliable cues out of them anymore, they're really not much use, other than as a holder for a failsafe microswitch. Kelmar made a two-cue pickoff that had larger bearings and it was a lot more-reliable, even though it had the conductive bearing problem in later years, too.
quote: Philip Wittlief
Is it possible that the original bearings are no longer conductive.
I doubt they've survived this long. Normally, they'd wear out in a year or so anyway, and with off-the-shelf replacements now... you're lucky to get a few weeks out of them. And believe me, we tried everything... soaking bearings in solvent, lubricant, going wet/dry, you name it. Nothing worked for long.

You might get them to work if you had pulse stretchers on all the cues, but by the time you go through that trouble, you could just as well put prox's on them.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-21-2004 12:42 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, gang. Bringing this back up because I'm in a situation where I could use a couple of Kelmar cue detectors with mounting plates to go on Simplex reproducers. I used to have a box full of them (which I had to pitch when I moved a few years ago), and of course, I went for years carrying the danged things around in a box and never needed one...

Don't need anything fancy, just two units, and they don't even have to read cues; as long as they roll and have microswitches on them. Just using the failsafe alone.

Preferably cheap or free (Philip, did you go with proxs after all?). We'll take care of the shipping, naturally. Please PM me or reply here if you can help. Thanks!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-21-2004 08:37 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, Cue detectors on a 16 wheeler [Eek!] ?????

Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-21-2004 11:21 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once again it's worth mentioning that if money is tight a highly reliable proximity cue detector can be made by purchasing a generic proximity sensor (it looks like a threaded rod with a plastic tip at one end and a wire coming out the other) and using it with a simple relay and any convenient source of low voltage DC (a wall adaptor will do). It won't give you fancy combination cues and you'll still need a failsafe. But it beats anything requiring actual electrical contact such as the one above. Just need to create a bracket of some sort to place the tip of the sensor a few mm from the film edge that will carry the cue.

For those who don't know what we mean by "proximity" it is basically like a metal detector circuit. It senses the foil going by without any direct contact. It's wired to a relay which in turn connects to the automation.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-21-2004 11:39 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark: I'm runnin' on all 18. [Smile] Sorry, no. It's for Justin's drive-in. He was getting ready to run both screens manually, and I said that should be avoided if at all possible - let me see if we can at least come up with a quick and dirty failsafe. Any help is much appreciated!

Steve: Thanks. It's really bare-bones... no automation, no c/o.. at least not until he can get the theatre open and some cash flow. I just wanted to cobble together a rudimentary failsafe for him, to protect the equipment more than anything.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-21-2004 11:41 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, I was just a kidd'n

Most proximity detectors are actually based around an FM oscillator in which its frequency is upset by a passing piece of metal foil. This upset is in turn detected by a circuit thats built into the thing and then activates either a common collector or common emmitter transistor. This transistor in turn can be used to switch a somewhat high impedance relay.

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-21-2004 01:01 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-25-2004 03:09 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*bump* Can anyone help us with a couple of these? If you have some old units just lying around in the way, we'll sure take 'em off your hands. Thanks.

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: