Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » APT X-100 Encoding (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: APT X-100 Encoding
Melyohin Roman
Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2004 12:53 PM      Profile for Melyohin Roman   Author's Homepage   Email Melyohin Roman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With WinAMP + APT X-100 Decoder we can to play DTS CD disks for movies.
And what about encoding these .aud files?
APT site contain plugins for Cool Edit Pro (Adobe Audition) for work with *.spt, *.cut *.snd, *.dss, *.apt *.dss and *.daf) files, but NOT .AUD
Someone can help me?

|  IP: Logged

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2004 01:48 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
May be best to consult your theatre tech.

fjn
Local 294 Ret. [Smile]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-12-2004 05:48 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to encode in DTS, you must have DVD Studio Pro 3 for the Mac. And no, nothing on Windows encodes DTS. HOWEVER this is not ATPTX1000 or whatever clever name the theaterical version uses. It is for the superior home codec.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-13-2004 12:11 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surcode/Minnetonka audio has Windows based DTS encoders. They're just not cheap. The Surcode DTS encoder, which includes DVD-V and Music CD encoding is $1995. A standalone CD-only encoder runs $495. Surcode does not make a DTS encoder for APT-X100/theatrical format.

Surcode has encoders for DVD Audio MLP and various Dolby Digital encoders (they also make the DD 5.1 encoder for Adobe Premiere Pro).
www.surcode.com

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2004 12:37 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Melyohin Roman
APT site contain plugins for Cool Edit Pro (Adobe Audition) for work with *.spt, *.cut *.snd, *.dss, *.apt *.dss and *.daf) files, but NOT .AUD
That's because you have to buy their adobe audition plugin to manipulate .aud files. Here's a quote from their plugin page:

quote:
Compatibility with Scott Studios, Computer Concepts, Barrcode, The Management and generic apt-X™ files (.dss, .snd, .daf, .cut, .aud)
BTW, the plugin does allow you to encode from Windows. Here's the page I viewed:

apt-x plugin

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-14-2004 12:41 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would be surprised if their .aud is the same thing as DTS' .aud.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2004 12:42 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is. There is only one kind of .aud format, which is why they make you fill out a business validation form to order the plugin.

Edit: Looks like they now have it to where you must request a license from an actual manager. May be even more difficult to get that way. I guess they better hope the software doesn't get leaked to a file-sharing pirate...

Melyohin Roman
Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2004 01:27 AM      Profile for Melyohin Roman   Author's Homepage   Email Melyohin Roman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, the plugin does allow you to encode from Windows. Here's the page I viewed:

See http://www.aptx.com/cepdownloadarea.asp - .aud files not supported!

Melyohin Roman
Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2004 08:41 AM      Profile for Melyohin Roman   Author's Homepage   Email Melyohin Roman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody knows and cannot prompt?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-20-2004 01:40 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you need to know?
If you are planning to encode your own disks then you are SOL as DTS charges a royalty for encoding per disk

Melyohin Roman
Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2004 10:41 PM      Profile for Melyohin Roman   Author's Homepage   Email Melyohin Roman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS demands payments also for decoding MOVIE DTS disks. But Winamp plugin APT X-100 Decoder makes it free-of-charge. Means encode it is possible free-of-charge :-)

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-20-2004 11:07 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you wish to bypass DTS royalties to encode dts then I sujest you take you questions elsewhere

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-20-2004 11:15 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, but it wouldn't be DTS then would it? Just CD's with APT-X on it.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2004 01:20 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

See http://www.aptx.com/cepdownloadarea.asp - .aud files not supported!

Melyohin,
I already told you before in this thread they don't allow you to just freely download their .aud codec. It must be purchased from the licensing manager as part of the plugin package, meaning you're not likely to obtain one on your own.

Melyohin Roman
Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2004 10:16 AM      Profile for Melyohin Roman   Author's Homepage   Email Melyohin Roman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And from them the information:
The .aud file format was used by apt as a proprietary file format many years ago. It was based on the IDAS file format and was similar to an .snd file.

Have you some equipment that requires this format? A lot of the other file formats we list were modified versions of the .aud format to make them unique to Scott or the other manufacturers.

Explain, please, how it works?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: