Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » TES newsletter - June 2004 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: TES newsletter - June 2004
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-10-2004 05:33 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is Technicolor's pdf version of their newsletter that is being faxed out today. Thanks to Ginger Fulton for providing it for those theaters where the projectionists don't ever see faxes.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2004 06:09 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'd think it'd be easy for them to dump the bands and just start using the tape. I'm surprised the whole newsletter wasn't a tearful goodbye to reel bands... Every TES delivery I've opened, I've been hoping not to see any bands, Riddick was another letdown today.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-10-2004 09:02 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woo..Jhawk's brush with greatness.

"Check if the leaders are attached"

Define attached, TES.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-10-2004 10:04 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Originally they said they were going to use four inches of tape. Now according to this, it's two inches "centrally positioned." Note also they tout how wonderfully the stuff "removes" from a wide variety of surfaces, but not a word on how well it "sticks" after repeated uses.

[Roll Eyes]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-11-2004 12:39 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if  - is angry that they credited him as "John Hawkinson" instead of "JHawk"? I know I'd be pretty pissed if someone didn't get my fake name right.

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 06-11-2004 01:03 AM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So as part of the "QC" TES will verify that the print has the right number of reels, but not that they are the right reels. Apparently QC doesn't involve checking the quality of the actual reels, just the film on the reels. Of course that statement presumes that TES uses quality reels to begin with...what was I thinking! The easy circuiting tips seems doesn't seem to include shredding the redundant fax about the circuit.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2004 02:11 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
good to know that TES cares about green scratches. I guess any other type of scratch isnt distracting enough.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2004 09:03 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's next a half inch of tape, positioned to the left of the end of the reel?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-11-2004 09:05 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if this applies to Technicolor Canada's opperation

Older prints the reel bands in Ontario were the actual censor certificate for that reel

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2004 11:07 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I was thinking the same thing. So, we can make base side scratches and it will pass, a-ok. [thumbsup]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-12-2004 10:15 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The most efficient mode of delivery is by broadcast FAX.
What?! Are the still in the Stone Ages?!

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2004 02:30 PM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings All from Cambridge

What on earth is the point of TES checking prionts when they are returned? We have no such facility here in the UK. Films are despatched direct from the depot at Perivale to theatres. They are then returned and should a print be needed at another theatre, then they are sent directly back out. If the film is still playing at a theatre Thursday night, then it is despatched over night to the next theatre for a Friday playdate. Any defects are reported to the renters London office and replacement reels are then despatched as necessary. Sounds like TES are just adding to the cost of film transport by employing personnell to check prints.

Regards

David

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2004 05:14 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Graham Rose
If the film is still playing at a theatre Thursday night, then it is despatched over night to the next theatre for a Friday playdate. Any defects are reported to the renters London office and replacement reels are then despatched as necessary.
David, consider yourself and other UK projectionists lucky. Replacement reels in such a case in the US are rare.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 06-12-2004 08:47 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh, Joe. I'd be angry if they creditted me as "JHawk" instead of "jhawk," but actually they asked me.

The intent of this section in the newsletter, by the way, is to document the existing practice, not to describe a practice in the future. I guess Ky is being tongue-in-cheek, but the process does involve verifying "that they are the right reels."

David Graham Rose asks, "What on earth is the point of TES checking prionts when they are returned?" It's worth noting that they are not checked on return, but they are checked on departure (except for the first departure). And of course, the point is that theatres often do really bad things to prints and the idea is to make sure that prints that are send out to theatres not on-the-break meet a certain minimum standard of quality.

When delivery is just-in-time, finding out that you want a replacement the day of your show is not an optimal situation.

Having the exchange do the inspection also means knowing which of the two theatres damaged the film, instead of, e.g., having an unscrupulous second theatre claim it was the first theatre's fault...

--jhawk

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 06-13-2004 04:19 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see plenty of damaged film, I had a print yesterday that took me four hours to make up onto 6ks, but I've only once had a wrong reel; it happened in April this year, and was in the second 'Lord of the Rings' films.

We were due to run all three films on a Sunday. The third film had been running earliier in the week, the other two were for the Sunday only, and had been delivered on, I think, the Friday. When I arrived on the Sunday morning, The first film had been made up, and I had to do the second one while the first was running. Near to the end, I think it was part 8 of 9, when I took the film out of the can it was tail out, emulsion in on a two inch core, all the other parts had been head out, emulsion out on three inch cores. As I unwound the tail it said part 6. The tail had not been cut, so it had not been spliced incorrectly. I wound the film onto a spool and the leader, also uncut, also said part 6. All of the other parts had been cut, so this was obviously a replacement reel. Checking the ID frame from the leader of the part 6 that I had already made up, it was iidentical to the first frame of this part; We had a wrong reel, but it's the only time I've ever seen it happen.

I 'phoned the manager as soon as I discovered it, but there was only about half an hour before the film was due on screen, so there was no way we could get it replaced in time, so we had to cancel the show.

Checking the can for this reel again, the label on top said part 8, but the one on the edge of the can, which I had not looked at previously, said part 6.

Enough care had been taken to replace a damaged part, but, unfortunately, with the wrong part. I guess it was just bad luck that the can was labeled incorrectly. You couldn't expect the depot staff to check a brand new can of fiilm to make sure that the label matched what was inside.

Just hope it was a one-off, and it doesn't happen again.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: