Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Bad amp?

Author Topic: Bad amp?
Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2004 03:06 AM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was curious to know what happens when an amp goes bad. Does it just completely stop working or can it just start to cause distorted sound? If an amp starts going bad but still works, what kind of distortion would it cause?

|  IP: Logged

Robert L. Fischer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2004 03:12 AM      Profile for Robert L. Fischer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From my experiences, it almost sounds like a static problem -- only much worse. It's sort of a loud buzzing noise, like if you turned a guitar amp up really loud. If an amp is bad, you'll know it, and so will customers.

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2004 06:30 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It all depends upong which section of the amplifier has gone bad and whether or not it's a tube amp or solid state. A bad power supply, for instance, can manifest itself as either 1.)a loud hum or 2.) total non-functioning amp. A bad phase inverter on a push-pull amp will just make the amp sound very distorted. A bad power amp stage has yet another set of symptoms...so you can't just say "bad amp"...it's like going to the doctor and just saying "Something's not right".

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2004 11:58 AM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the problem I am having is distortion in the sound. I checked the A chain which turned out fine. The sound is sort of scratchy(loud speaking parts) and it seems to be pulsing(like during a scene with an applauding crowd the clapping seems to fade in and out). The sound seems to also have too much trebble. I also checked the EQ which also seemed ok.

I am using a CP50 with a reverse scan Kelmar reader. Right now I only have one speaker behind the screen with the other speakers coming soon. So, I am running the CP50 in Dolby stereo with no surround mode so that the noise reduction cards are utilized(CAT280 SR cards). I tried replacing the CAT117 output card but the problem is still there. Any help would be appreciated. I think I will try another amp today (using Smart amps). Thanks.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-10-2004 12:04 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "pulsing" comment makes me wonder if you are playing a Dolby A print in Dolby SR. Are you?

Also, if you are using cat. 280 (not 280T) cards, they need to be modified for use in the CP50. Otherwise, they go into "encode" mode by default instead of "decode" mode.

Amp failures can be especially fun when you start hearing loud popping noises and find out later than a horn diaphragm has blown. [thumbsup]

I haven't seen the SMART amps, but I think that most people here would recommend that you check out the QSC USA/MX/DCA product lines instead.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-10-2004 12:22 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are playing in Stereo Mode with only a centre channel then you will be hearing all sorts of the gain riding artifacts of the matrix as it is steering portions of the audio the left and right speakers that are not there. Remember that matrix sound relies to a large extent on psycoacuostic masking effect
Smart Amplifiers are usually either a Hafler circuit or made by AB International and seem to stand up well

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2004 12:41 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The SR cards have been modified for playback only. I will be installing the left and right speakers tonight and I will see if the problem stops. Thanks.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-10-2004 07:04 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It can be from completely dead to maximum smoke. Everything in between is possible.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 06-15-2004 11:06 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should also be sure your CP50 has the newer Power supply Module (Cat 114C I believe) as the older power supply can't handle the draw from the CAT 280T's. (Or the later Cat 150's)

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2004 05:50 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

Please tell me what model SMART amps you are using.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-16-2004 07:44 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've yet to have a problem with the Cat. 280s affecting CP-50 performance. The Cat. 280s draw from the +24 supply and not the +/-12 volt supply.

However, adding cards with LEDs on them will suck down a CP-50 supply in a hurry. The Cat. 150C or later, the Cat 517 and the Cat 560 will surely draw the supply down to below +/- 10VDC and a hum will develop. Also the Cat. 113C with its power supply LEDs will also suck some juice.

Steve

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-16-2004 02:44 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the original poster has added the other channels and could report back soon

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2004 05:42 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other channels were added so now the CP50 is in dolby stereo with no surround mode.(L,C,R channels) The sound quality is much better but there still seems to be a pulsing problem where the sound seems to fade in and out slightly when there is a scene with applauding or with any other type of "continuous sound".(hopefully that makes sense)

The only test I did not perform for the LED alignment is with illumination test film. Could this be causing the problem.

I am using Smart TA240 amps.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-16-2004 06:53 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might as uneven illumination will cause a compressor effect
did you set the dolby level with the processor in mono?

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2004 09:34 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I did set Dolby tone with the processor in mono.

Today I checked the illumination of the LED and only had to make a very slight adjustment. The "fading" problem in the sound is still present. Could this have anything to do with the fact that the surround channel is not being used? The surround speakers are going to be put up soon and I can see if the problem stops.

[ 06-17-2004, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: Tom Wienholt ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: