Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Behold! Revolution in print moving! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Behold! Revolution in print moving!
Martin Risher
Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2004 01:37 PM      Profile for Martin Risher   Email Martin Risher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know if its been done, but I think I'm going to try and go from my very successful prototype, to the real thing here within the year.

Tired of needing one other person to help move prints with? Sometimes you get those people who really haven't moved prints, they move all slow, and it takes forever because you can move one print at a time? Plus they don't know how to walk backwards or sideways?

And then you got that little 'carrying' case type thing where it only takes one person to move. But then you know, you've got a bad back, or your wrist hurts from god only knows what, and you're stumbling around trying to move this big huge piece of THING!

Well.. what would you say if i had device that could move multiple prints at once. IN FACT! We've moved two prints of LOTR:ROTK plus a standard 6 reel print, all at the same time! We've moved up to four prints on this prototype! And I did it just about all on my own. It took only me and a partner to load the prints. But we're able to move prints from one end of the booth, to the other in a matter of seconds! LITERALLY! Although it takes two people to load (depending on print size) It takes only one person to move! You can literally run with these prints!

Any comments?

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 06-08-2004 01:42 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, what are you talking about?? [Confused]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-08-2004 01:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, you obviously need somebody in charge of marketing and/or spelling before you proceed with this "whatever."

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2004 01:46 PM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any Real Man (like me) can carry two prints at once, with no brackets.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-08-2004 01:47 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever you do, don't damage the film, or risk spilling the roll. [Eek!]

Many large format theatres have mechanical assists to move the large rolls of 70mm print. See the special forklift in the photos of the Henry Ford Museum IMAX Theatre in the "Pictures" section of Film-Tech.

quote: Peter Mork

Peter: Have you ever accidently "spilled" a print? (Be honest now!) [Roll Eyes]

Carrying a full print by yourself is like Russian Roulette -- most of the time you get away with it, but once in a while, you have a bloody mess on the floor. [Frown] Not to mention a potential back injury. [uhoh]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-08-2004 01:51 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just leave them where they are and set up some mirrors. [Big Grin]

Martin Risher
Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2004 01:56 PM      Profile for Martin Risher   Email Martin Risher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Pytlak was the last to post

Ah - But can you move four? With the greatest of ease?

quote: John Pytlak
Whatever you do, don't damage the film, or risk spilling the roll.
Naw, our 'multiple print mover' prevents the films from spilling in two stages. We've been using it for almost a year now with no dropping of the film. Its pretty nifty, we have a theater in California using one now too.

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2004 01:57 PM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have I ever spilled a print? Who among us hasn't?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-08-2004 02:00 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Peter Mork
Have I ever spilled a print? Who among us hasn't?

Hopefully a learning experience that is not repeated. [Frown]

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 06-08-2004 02:01 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I havent yet, but now that I said it, it will probably happen on Thursday. [beer]

Martin Risher
Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2004 02:03 PM      Profile for Martin Risher   Email Martin Risher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't spilled a print yet either. ALMOST once or twice. But never a spill.

Sonja O'Reilly
Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2004 03:05 PM      Profile for Sonja O'Reilly   Email Sonja O'Reilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>Well.. what would you say if i had device that could move multiple prints at once.<

We use a shopping cart/board combo at my theatre. It makes it easy for moving heavy prints alone and you can move the cans at the same time. The 18 plex I work at is one consecutive booth with only ramps.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2004 03:10 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sonja, do you mean to imply that you keep the cans with the prints all the time?

Sonja O'Reilly
Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2004 03:33 PM      Profile for Sonja O'Reilly   Email Sonja O'Reilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we don't have enough space to keep them in one location so we set them by every projector. Its also helpful for our breakdown to have them by their respective projectors.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2004 03:59 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What the hell? "i have this thing, that can move this and that, but I won't tell you how or what this thing is" [puke]

I WASTED A MINUTE OF MY LIFE READING YOUR POST! I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY! [fu]

danny

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: