Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Harry Potter ok with white light but not red led

Author Topic: Harry Potter ok with white light but not red led
Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2004 04:06 PM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a BACP RSTR 2000 red led reader that I haven't had problems with that has worked fine on all other prints.But 2 different prints of
Harry Potter that work fine with dts and white light give me some
sort of noise ,not a hum but sorta like a revolving roar.(Sorta like when the film isn't clamped down on the sound drum)

At one point 1 print was interlocked and ran fine in the projector with a white light ,but gave me the noise in the projector with the red led.
I have a Dolby CP55 with the red led and had to switch it to bypass which just lowered the noise but
didn't remove it.

So could it be the prints or do i have a problem?

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-06-2004 04:20 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hard telling if you have a problem or not. It could be a print problem. The reason what I say this is because I ran into a situation where Shrek 2 performed very poorly in the analog house as far as SPL is concerned. I had to run the fader at 10!

However, it was just fine under the DTS enviroment.

Everything else runs fine in the analog house except for Screk, so I would suspect there is a problem with your print of Potter -- based on what I have run into with Shrek.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-06-2004 09:48 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does your print of HP3 have a "high magenta" analog track -- magenta colored with the grayish silver stripe over it?

A cyan+magenta+silver print that is not "high magenta" will have a different cross-modulation optimization point for a red light reader and a white light reader, and so you may hear some sibilance if played on the reader it was not optimized for.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-06-2004 09:57 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I ran into a situation where Shrek 2 performed very poorly in the analog house as far as SPL is concerned. I had to run the fader at 10!
I noticed this, too. The power supply in my Dolby dumped, & we switched everything to SR. Trailers are hot, Shrek is low. VIP35 w/exciter.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2004 12:01 AM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
F.W.I.W. my best guess would be that the "roaring" sound that you are hearing is a result of the D.T.S. track being picked up by your optical system.

This is sometimes described as sounding "like a vaccum cleaner in the background".

While it may be due to either a slightly off-center soundtrack, or a mal-adjusted latteral guide setting, it should be correctible with a slight adjustment of the latteral guide setting of the scanning beam.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-07-2004 12:17 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen, if there is a noise, I think Rick is right on the money with his thoughts.

Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2004 11:14 AM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
While it may be due to either a slightly off-center soundtrack, or a mal-adjusted latteral guide setting,
If it is the latteral guide, why would the trailers play fine but not the feature? Can that happen with a incorrect setting?

Ill take a look at this today. Thanks guys.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-07-2004 11:20 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The BACP has the widest scanning area out in the field so lateral alignment is very criticle as would be lab printing tolerences

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-07-2004 12:59 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before you change the lateral guiding adjustment of your reader (not really recommended without proper test films), check the position of the timecode track on the print itself. SMPTE Recommended Practice RP111 specifies that the centerline of the data record should be 0.297 +/- 0.001 inches, or 7.54 +/- 0.03 millimeters from the reference edge of the print. The inside edge of the printed analog track should be 0.281 inches or 7.14 millimeters from the reference edge.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2004 08:39 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or just compare it to a known good piece of film. If the DTS track, and/or optical sound track is out of place that may be your problem.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-07-2004 09:21 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to intentionally poke fun at you John (well ok, yeah it's to poke fun at you), just exactly how is the average theater supposed to precisely measure the location of the dts track on a suspected print??? Can we just use our tape measure and round to the nearest 1/16 inch? [Razz]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-07-2004 10:16 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edmund Scientific and others have a variety of measuring microscopes and loupes that have accurate reticles:

http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/DisplayProduct.cfm?productid=1600

quote:
This 6X Pocket Comparator has hundreds of applications in industry, in the laboratory and at the workbench. Resting directly on work surfaces, it is ideal for checking small parts, linear measurements, angles, hole diameters and thread sizes. Unlike lower priced comparators with only a simple lens, the 6X incorporates a triplet lens. It provides an extremely flat field over the entire reticle area. Clear acrylic cell allows outside light to illuminate the subject. Accepts all 27mm reticles. Reticle is made from quality optical glass.

http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/DisplayProduct.cfm?productid=1727

quote:
Extremely portable comparator is only 1-3/4" high x 1" O.D. Its glass reticle is superior to film reticles in many other pocket comparators which can bend, warp or become damaged due to oils or solvents. Optical lens system is distortion-free right to the edge of the field. Cell of transparent Lucite admits plenty of light to reticle and work. Accepts all 21mm reticles.

Reticle Description:
A special feature of the reticle is the tickness comparison scale (E). A series of parallel lines 0.002" to 0.007" apart enable visual and direct measurement of the thickness of materials. Mechanical measurements of such items are sometimes inaccurate, because materials often compress. Linear scales are provided in bot millimeters (B) and decimal inches (C). The 10mm long metric scale is divided into units of 0.2mm. The 0.5" decimal inch scale is marked in units of 0.005". Scales to compare hole diameters read in fractions from 1/64" to 1/16" (A) and in decimals from 0.005" to 0.050"(D). Both the reticle and the object to be measured are magnified 6 times.

http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/DisplayProduct.cfm?productid=1854

quote:
Our portable and compact direct measuring field microscope can conveniently travel from the desktop to the job site for critical inspection and measurement. Each scope includes focus ring for crisp, clear images. Using the reticle focus adjustment, the 1/20mm scale reticle can be brought into sharp focus when superimposed on the internal image. Clear acrylic base allows the instrument to rest directly on a flat object, while passing ambient light. Two cutaways (180° apart) in the clear base allow fine instruments to touch the object under inspection. The base can be removed to accomodate irregular objects. The base and bottom macro lens can be removed for added flexibility as an erect-image 8X telescope for long distance requirements. Padded storage case included. Reticle: 2.5-0-2.5mm, 0.05mm incr. Note that focus ring is on the removable macro lens.

http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/DisplayProduct.cfm?productid=1639

quote:
These powerful direct measuring scopes are no larger than a fountain pen. Available in your choice of a measuring glass reticle in metric or inch scales. Can be purchased with or without optical clear plastic base. Stands only 4 1/4" high and weighs two ounces. The 50X magnification provides quick, close examinations to detect flaws or imperfections, make surface measurements or examine fibers or print. Base (1 1/2" O.D.) converts the unit to a free standing microscope that can be focused and locked. The inch reticle length is 1/10" with 0.001" divisions. The millimeter reticle length is 2.5mm with 0.02mm divisions. Made exclusively for Edmund Industrial Optics.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-07-2004 10:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have expected nothing less from you! [Big Grin]

Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2004 11:44 PM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I compared the bad Harry Potter print with film from some other prints that I knew to work &
right away I could see that the timecode was much closer to the soundtrack then on the other good prints.

So I guess this was causing the problem and it was the prints. But I would still like to adjust the lateral allignment of my reader if I could get my hands on some test film.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-09-2004 07:54 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The print I saw last night of HP3 didn't look like it had a high-magenta optical track but a conventional optical track. The DTS system was tracking the print just fine too...if the track was off laterally, the DTS reader would also have had issues.

The picture of this print was also pretty darn sharp throughout though I was seated about 4 screen heights away.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: