Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lens extension tubes

Author Topic: Lens extension tubes
Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2004 01:50 AM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something I've often wondered about - what's the optical effect of adding extension tubes between lens elements? Some projectors require them, where for instance a fat scope element blocks the lens from being inserted far enough to acheive focus; adding a 3-inch tube lets you do this. Other projectors don't need the tubes. I can't see a dime's worth of difference between the extended/unextended versions, but surely...?

50 words or less, go easy on the obscure jargon please. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2004 02:46 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Some projectors require them, where for instance a fat scope element blocks the lens from being inserted far enough to acheive focus;
Really?
what make of projector and how short a throw for that to happen? [evil]

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2004 10:44 AM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brenkert BX-100 (and I suspect other old Brenkert models).

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-05-2004 10:51 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you go very far with it (like ridiculously far... 8-10 inches or so), you'll start to notice the effect of extending the focal length of the backup lens (picture gets smaller on the screen). But it's very minute.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-06-2004 10:24 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I asked Schneider about this. They said the two lenses (the prime and the anamorphic adapter) should be as close as possible. But, if you have to do what's necessary to make things work. Have you projected some test film (35PA) and checked for problems?

In a perfect world, I suppose the 'right' thing to do would be to purchase an integrated anamorphic, which does not flare out to a larger diameter, like regular anamorphics. Unless your problem is the -image- hits the edge of the projector head, like short lenses installed in a AA-II.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-06-2004 03:43 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With long focal length back ups I usually add enough extensions so that the image coming out the anamorph is occupying most of its front element because then ideally any glass imperfections would represent a smaller aprt of the image percentage

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-06-2004 04:09 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as there is no vignetting present, I don't think it is too big of a deal. I don't like to have them take up as much area as Gordon does, but if you have a good quality late model lens, Gordon's suggestion will work just fine. If you are using those old 40-year old lenses, forget it. Otherwise, there just might be much spherical and chromatic aberrations that could be easily detected by the eye.

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2004 01:28 AM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, Tim, now that you mention it - when setting up a scope lens for my Century, I usually just screw the back element directly to the anamorphic. But last week I took the Brenkert lens, with ann extender in the middle, and used it in the Century - hello, what's this? My perfect aperture plate is now casting shadows. Your "shrinkage" comment would explain why.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-07-2004 01:38 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Watch what happens when you swap out a Strong lamphouse with a Christie. Due to the way the bulb is focused past the film plane, the aperture starts to show.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-07-2004 09:16 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most people tend to forget that the lamphouse is part of the optical system and it can cause changes in image magnification, focus and apperture shadow and lens efficiency and sharpness

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: