Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Harry Potter (POA) Analog Sound Issue

Author Topic: Harry Potter (POA) Analog Sound Issue
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2004 08:53 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else experienced analog sound anomolies with HP 4?

Both prinmts screened so far sound hve far greater background noise in SR. Did not screen in an SR-D house. This is a Smart SRS-5 processor (part of the problem) and a M35GP with visible red led.

A second print ran thru the same type processor and the sound was 'distorted' for lack of a better word. When put into DTS, it was fine. The analog had low/high spots and with some popping/extraneous noises and it sounded 'washed out' in general.

Anyone have any advice (other than to ditch the SRS-5 processors)?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-03-2004 10:33 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How did the trailers sound?

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2004 11:52 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

Very good question. I didn't hear of any complaints involving the trailers. Seems that the trouble started with the feature. I'll have to check into this further in the morning.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-04-2004 03:45 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jason Black
HP 4
No....But I think they are just filming it right now. [Big Grin]

Sorry Jason I couldn't resist. I tried.... [Smile]

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2004 08:40 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP-500 I run without any digital format in our #1 auditorium at Lakeville has had similar issues with a few analog tracks on different prints. Shrek 2 was the worst, with the musical sequences sounding very muddy (for lack of better description). No complaints from the manager who screened Potter in that auditorium last night, though.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2004 06:47 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*UPDATE*

Problem appears to be in the optical track. Trailers sounded fine, print sounded like crap. I guess you woudl expect this to happen with 8000 porints out there... [Roll Eyes]

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2004 08:44 PM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SHREK 2 has a couple spots where the music sounds a little distorted in optical. But most of the print sounded fine on our old fashioned exciter/cell analog Dolby. One of our Norleco sound heads is out for conversion to red reader. I'll be interested to see how it turns out since the sound drum does not have the normal indent where a LED would fit.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-07-2004 09:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI, some of the songs (one inparticular) are RECORDED distorted. Apparently this is somehow artistic.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: