Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Luxtrol dimmer - contol by automation?

Author Topic: Luxtrol dimmer - contol by automation?
Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2004 09:33 AM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently purchased a used Superior Electric Luxtrol house light dimmer. I plan to use this to dim my Auditorium lights. Currently the dimmer is set up with latching relays that will only allow full up and full down operation. I would like to interface it with my Kelmar Series 2 automation and figure out a way to program it to dim the house lights to half for the trailer program. My idea to accomplish this is to remove the latching relays from the circuit, and attach a time - delay relay to the "house to half" terminal in the automation. I'd then set this relay for the amount of time it takes for the Luxtrol to dim down to half (about 1.5 seconds)

Currently my auditorium lights are controlled by a three pole relay so they are either on or off. A modern solid state dimmer would not do the job for me because I have 3600 watts of incandescent lights broken down into 3 120 volt circuits, all fed by different legs of the 3 phase. The Luxtrol unit I purchased is a 3 gang unit rated for 2000 watts per gang.

Will my scheme work? I'm open to all suggestions!

Thanks
Steve

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-01-2004 09:11 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That should work fine. I'd select a relay that allows it to go full off in case you want to adjust it to do that.... Down to half in 1.5 seconds... hats really fast. You ought to try to slow it down a bit if possible... thats pretty much the same as just shutting off the lights with a switch...... stretch it out a bit and build some showmanship into it if at all possiible.

Mark @ CLACO

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: