Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Interlock Mounts/Rollers...

Author Topic: Interlock Mounts/Rollers...
Martin Risher
Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2004 11:58 AM      Profile for Martin Risher   Email Martin Risher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theater is relatively new (4 years) and when the projectors were installed, some moron installed interlock capability on our two smallest houses in each booth. Last year i decided to go ahead remove them and reinstall them to connect the two largest houses in each booth.

The downside about our mounts is that they go into the wall. So film has to run along its closest wall. (or dart across the booth to a wall)

I've been trying to find where i can get rollers that 'hang' from the ceiling, so that the film can run through the center of each booth. I've seen 'em, but haven't had much luck finding 'em. Anyone know where I can get a hold of some?

|  IP: Logged

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2004 03:39 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried your service outfit? Kelmar, Speco and even Strong all make film guidance roller assemblies that can be adapted to mount from the ceiling. Just be carefull when doing it to a drop ceiling. You will need to reinforce it from the top somehow. I believe Kelmar also makes a Floor standing setup on a telescoping tripod. You could also simply use your make-up table (depending on design).
Something to keep in mind, is that depending on your automation setup, there may be more involved than simply putting up some rollers to get it to work.
As an aside, interlocking the two smallest houses isn't that bad an idea in my opinion. Lets face it, how often are you going to have a film so big that it will fill both of your biggest houses? If you did have a film that big, chances are you'd get more than one print for more start times and so as to not have a traffic jam in the lobby at intermission. Whereas if you had a film that did unexpectedly well, you could move it to the interlocked houses and sacrifice one film that is doing badly, and not worry about tying up that many seats.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2004 06:36 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SPECO and Neumade are the two companies we've ordered through in the past. We have several suspended rollers installed on the ceiling throughout the booth, as well as pivoting rollers mounted to the tops of a couple platter trees.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2004 07:53 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had good luck just using any rollers I can find and suspending some of those green bars, like what they make shelves out of at some stores. Point is, suspend something else, then attach rollers to that.

I do hate those rollers along the walls, I feel much more confident when they are hung on the ceiling.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-31-2004 08:45 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Goldberg makes the best rollers for interlock purposes. They don't have the large gap between the keeper and roller flange like the Kelmar and Neumade's do (even though they look virtually identical). As such, even if you are turning the roller sideways, the film will NOT fall out.

Plywood "ceiling tiles" work great for this. Just remember to make sure they are slightly less than 2x4 feet and you jigsaw off the corners by about 1/2 inch. From that point you can secure the roller brackets via drywall screws.

Martin Risher
Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2004 01:43 AM      Profile for Martin Risher   Email Martin Risher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
whats Goldberg product site. Cant seem to find, i think im retarded...

Joop de Gruiter
Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2004 06:02 AM      Profile for Joop de Gruiter   Email Joop de Gruiter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More info at the "goldberg platter reel" topic

http://www.goldbergbrothers.bizhosting.com/index.html

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2004 04:29 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad makes a good point, one of my suspended SPECO rollers, the one after the tensioning arm does tend to use the increased tension to ride against the keeper roller instead of the big roller. Glad to know that there's an alternative.

Robert Stawiarski
Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2004 10:53 PM      Profile for Robert Stawiarski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We simply use free-standing roller systems (similar to a variac) that can be transported very easily.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: