Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Need Advice on Uninstalling Projectors (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Need Advice on Uninstalling Projectors
Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2004 11:37 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently purchased two Simplex projectors that I have to pick up and remove from service. I have started a list of tools that I need to take to complete this job. Is there any advice you guys can give me as far as what tools I cannot do without? It is five hours from here so coming home to get something I forgot is not an option. What size socket wrench do I need to loosen the 4 hex head screws that attach the soundhead to the base? Also I am going to take a digital camera and tape to document and mark everything I diassemble.

I am a very handy and mechanical-minded person and I have worked on these before, but have never done something this extensive on them. This will be somewhat of a learning process. Is there any recommendations as to what I definitely should or shouldn't do? I will be installing these in my home theater. I have set aside two days to complete this. Does this sound like a reasonable amount of time to you? Thanks for all your help guys!

|  IP: Logged

Alexander Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2004 01:08 PM      Profile for Alexander Smith   Email Alexander Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I've ever done this but there are a few things that spring to mind:

Make sure all electrical supplies are disconnected.
Remove the Xenon (using proper P.P.E. and care).
If there are any oil sumps/baths, drain them first.

Alex.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2004 01:11 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What model Simplex projector heads are they? And, more importantly, what make and model of soundheads are they mounted to?

The model of soundhead can make a difference on what tools to bring. If it's an RCA 1040, the projector will be mounted directly onto the soundhead through keyholes on the top of the head, using hex bolts (you will need a thin 9/16" wrench to loosen the hard-to-get-at front bolt right above the gearbox).

RCA 9030s used a mounting plate secured to the projector with large slotted flathead screws and attached to the soundhead with Allen capscrews (3/16" Allen wrench needed).

The Simplex soundhead mount, IIRC, is just a long metal bar with using large slotted screws.

The soundhead arm bolts probably will require a 3/4" socket, and a lot of leverage to loosen. I would not entrust this job to anything less than a good 1/2"-drive socket set.

When in doubt, just pack a complete set of screwdrivers, Allen wrenches, and a socket set and every tool you can think of to properly disconnect all electrical connections. If you do not have a 3/8" blade screwdriver or a high-quality 1/2"-drive socket set, buy 'em. Sometimes it's better to be prepared for unforeseen circumstances than to worry about whether you brought the right tools.

Good luck! [thumbsup]

[Edited to correct location of hard-to-reach bolt on RCA 1040.]

[ 05-31-2004, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Jon Miller ]

Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2004 03:06 PM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jon Miller
... and every tool you can think of to properly disconnect all electrical connections.
Include a hack saw (for cutting conduit or BX) and a heavy pair of wire cutters, in case it's impossible to properly disconnect something! Just be sure the circuit is dead! [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-31-2004 03:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. A full set of combination wrenches are much more handy than a socket set because there are many places on many projectors that a socket on a ratchet will not fit.

2. A Wiggy to check that all power is off before cutting all the flex with the (see #3)

3. Sawzall that you'll have along. (this makes the job quick and neat!)

4. A set of screwdrivers.

5. A bright Worklight on a stand as many booths are very poorly lit.

6. A refregerator dolly if you're taking the bases/consoles.

7. A set of allen wrenches to disconnect the motor coupling so you can seperate the soundhead into two pieces, also many platter systems are assembled with Allen screws!

8. Boxes and packing material for the lenses and delicate stuff.

9. A back brace cause the stuff is VERY heavy(take this seriously!)

10. A pickup or large van to move it all in.

11. Just yourself and one other person is all you'll need unless the stairs are difficult or you have time constraints cause then you WON'T have to buy a boatload of [beer] afterwards for all those that DIDN'T help out.

* Fiqure about 1 hour per machine if you're experineced, more if you're not.*

Mark

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2004 04:30 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget to bring a good pair of gloves, some rags and/or paper towels, and a small first aid kit! It'll be somewhat of a dirty, oily job, so it is a wise idea to wear gloves to keep the mess off your hands and prevent cuts. The first aid kit will come in very handy if you decide not to wear gloves and find a sharp edge the wrong way, especially if you have to Sawzall your way through a rat's nest of conduits. [Smile] [thumbsup]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-31-2004 05:30 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't discount that socket set...if this is a pedestal mount SH-10XX soundhead...there is one bolt that a combination wrench won't get to and only a socket, of appropriate length or extensino will get it out.

Steve

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2004 08:26 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all your help! I will be taking an enclosed U-Haul trailer on my Chevy half-ton truck and have accounted for a furniture dolly. I don't have to worry about Xenon's being that these are Peerless carbon-arc lamphouses. About the only thing I am concerned about moving on my own is the bases and the rectifiers. Unfortunately these are located on government property and I have to pick-up during the week so I am going it alone.

These are Simplex XL heads and soundheads. They are mounted on Simplex regular pedestal bases (not the heavy duty ones) and have the 220 rectifiers for the carbon-arcs. I called to set-up the pick-up and talked to the guy who ran them. He said they ran one show a week for about fifteen years, so they are in great shape. I don't think I will have a problem disassembling the projectors into sub-assemblies as much as the wiring. That may prove to be a nuisance. I will definitely be taking a multimeter to make sure all the circuits are off! If you think of anything else please let me know. You have some good ideas and thanks for the help!

Josh

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-31-2004 08:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Remove the sounddrum flywheel first! It is accessible via allen head by sticking the long side of an allen wrench down a hole in the flywheel. Bring a gear puller with you, as over time those tend to stick.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-31-2004 11:37 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
He means the Four and a half star soundheads(the one with the preamp compartment below the exciter compartment), not the Five stars. On the Four and a half star's flywheel there is a screw that goes through a hub in the flywheel, same as an SH-1000. You will need to remove the flywheels to get at the intermediate drive gear which is held in place with two allen screws. Anyway, Remove the slotted screw and don't loose it, then remove the flywheel. Normally I put them back on and leave the side cover in place. This is just a short trip anyway... just creates more parts to pack up, or loose and misplace. These aren't going by UPS [Eek!] .

Mark

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-01-2004 03:30 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is easy. Just scope it out, grab your tools, and go to it. There is nothing difficult about it. If you see something that may foul the removal, remove it before you bash the hell out of it. Practice common sense on electrical safety and mechanical safety. Pull a wrench - not push it. If you push a wrench, you can expect to have a few bashed knuckles. (been there)

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2004 05:03 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are right Mark, I think that these are four and a half star soundheads. They have a compartment that juts below the rest of the soundhead in the back. I know that I have seen them before, but never bothered to look at their model number.

These projectors have the upper and lower reel magazines attached to them. I will definitely have to remove these for safe transport, but do you think I could just transport the picture head and soundhead as one sub-assembly? If so do I still need to remove the soundhead flywheel?

Do you think it is possible for one guy to remove the rectifiers with a furniture dolly by himself? I think I can get to them where they sit with the furniture dolly. I can then just strap the belt around them and they should be fairly easy to move. I am a pretty big guy. 6'-4" 280 pounds. I used to work at UPS as an unloader and I work in a warehouse now. So I have a lot of experience moving heavy things. Cannot find info on how much these weigh though.

Thanks.

Josh

William Bunch
Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2004 06:10 AM      Profile for William Bunch   Author's Homepage   Email William Bunch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What military facility are these coming out of?

I just moved two Simplex XLs with full size pedestals and RCA 9030 sound heads down an extremely steep set of stairs. Those sound heads by themselves are very heavy.

Sounds like you have some even flooring and few stairs and that should help. I could move all this stuff myself if not for the stairs. But I'm getting older and should not be doing that sort of thing anymore.

Yes, Remove the magazines. There are some very fragile fingers on the backs of these that will break easily.

This is all heavy cast iron and steel with sharp corners so be very careful working alone. One slip and you could easily amputate a finger or half your foot.

If these are the typical US military issue Simplex then you are in for a joy ride. These were made around 1950 are a different breed. We have many still showing daily features with almost no failures. The grade of steel in those days and the workmanship was top notch.

I'm glad to see two more Simplex XLs saved from the scrap heap.

Enjoy!

Bill Bunch
Misawa, Japan

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-01-2004 08:08 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have much to add, except TAKE EVERYTHING! Since the equipment is already installed and working, there should be lots of other stuff in the booth that no one else will want/need, but which you can either use yourself or sell here in the For Sale forum.

Look around for lenses (obviously), collars, spare parts (take the cabinet, too), new and old sound equipment, film, reels, reel cabinets, speakers, transformers, curtains/masking (and motors), dimmers, carbons (and carbon savers), manuals for everything, etc.

You really should get a second person to help move the stuff, especially if there are stairs involved. The Simplex bases aren't too bad if disassembled, but the rectifiers will be heavy. You can remove the motors from the soundheads and carry them separately to save some weight there.

Definitely remove the soundhead flywheels and separate the soundheads from the picture heads. You can carry the soundhead/picture head combination as one piece, but it will probably be too heavy/awkward for one person. Be sure to remove the coupling gears, too, so that the picture head doesn't sit on the gear and damage either the gear or the shaft.

Oh, and take pictures (to send to Brad) of both the original installation and your soon-to-be new screening room!

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-01-2004 02:37 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are these the projectors from the Rochester Psychiatric Hospital that were listed on e-Bay a few weeks ago?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: