Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 16mm Fil,m Thickness

Author Topic: 16mm Fil,m Thickness
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 05-28-2004 07:15 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the base material used for 16mm thicker than 35mm or does it just seem that way because it is smaller??

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-28-2004 08:04 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ESTAR base is the same thickness for 16mm, 35mm, and 70mm Kodak VISION Color Print Films: 0.0047 inches nominal thickness.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-29-2004 02:59 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about the old diacetate base? I have some 16mm prints on that, and it does feel slightly thicker to me, but I haven't measured it. Could it have been made thicker to compensate for the reduced toughness compared to nitrate. Also, old film does seem to vary slightly from one make to another.

Fuji Single-8 film was always on a polyester base, which was noticably thinner than triacetate Kodachrome Super-8, but also thinner than modern polyester 35mm print stock.

I was once shown some 16mm film using a silverless process, some form of diazo, but I can't remember the name of it; this was much thinner than any other motion picture stock that I've seen. It was more like that used in roll film for still cameras, or the old 5x4 film packs.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2004 04:24 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could be that you are looking at a 16MM print on acetate, and a 35MM print on estar. The estar base will be thinner.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-01-2004 02:08 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recall that 35mm acetate prints used 0.0056 inch thick triacetate support, and 16mm prints used 0.00525 inch thick triacetate support. I'm trying to verify this recollection.

Since ESTAR base is a stiffer plastic than triacetate base (Young modulus), the film base can be slightly thinner (0.0047 inches) and still match the stiffness of the old triacetate films.

http://www.engineering.ucsb.edu/~me15web/3_stress/text_3-1.htm

http://schools.matter.org.uk/Content/YoungModulus/Default.htm

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: