Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film & Disc on leader? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Film & Disc on leader?
Joop de Gruiter
Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2004 07:59 AM      Profile for Joop de Gruiter   Email Joop de Gruiter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some weeks ago I was running Sullivans travels (1941), and on the leader it said: sound print film & disc, what does this mean? Was the sound both on the film and on a phonographic disc?
In that case it would be nice if the disc would still come with the print.

-

Joop.

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-27-2004 08:22 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt that a 1941 film would have used the Vitaphone system that used separate phonograph discs, but perhaps the leader masters were never updated in the decade or so since Vitaphone was discontinued in 1933?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitaphone

http://www.davemackey.com/animation/wb/fieldguide.html

http://www.amps.net/newsletters/issue19/19_synch.htm

http://www.filmsound.org/film-sound-history/sound1928part1.htm

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 05-27-2004 08:33 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Sullivan's Travels" (1941) was a Paramount Pictures release at the time, it's now handled by Universal (USA rights). They were using sound on film at that time.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-27-2004 02:24 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last remaining UK distributor to do so, Warners, stopped supplying Vitaphone discs on 1 April 1933. I presume that they'd been supplying combined optical prints for some years previously and had shipped discs as an option for the remaining theatres which still hadn't installed a reader. I have a photocopy of their ad making the announcement in Kinematograph Weekly (the main exhibition industry trade paper at the time) in a file somewhere: I'll look it out and scan it if I get a moment. The announcement promoted a flood of letters from disgruntled disc theatres, many of which insisted that the discs produced better quality audio than optical sound film. Interesting parallels with the cyan tracks business now...

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2004 06:33 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a shot in the dark, but I think point they were trying to get across was: "This is a sound print, it contains both the film AND the sound which until recently was found on the disc, so don't go looking for the disc, cause there ain't any, because this is a sound print, which has BOTH the picture AND the sound, so the disc isn't needed, because what was once on the disc is now on the film".

Or something.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2004 07:42 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
16mm prints of this title had the same things on them. Sound print film disc. I just assumed that Paramount used the Vitaphone system also. We had a print of The Uninvited that had this on the leader, too.

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2004 11:02 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could see a little more of the leader in the attached picture - entirely aside from a "film"-oriented answer, from a viewpoint of having designed a lot of graphics, that is a VERY modern-looking typeface and layout style (all caps, a good amount - but not TOO much - of letterspacing). I'd find it hard to believe that the type in the photo was generated in the 1940s.

Not that this note is a whole lot of help.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-28-2004 09:05 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't. It looks very art-deco.

Btw, it's real. I've run those leaders, too.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-28-2004 02:17 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where exactly is the leader in that picture? What I see looks almost like a giant microchip (an oxymoron, I know. But I am a moron myself). I don't see anything that resembles a film leader. It looks metallic to me.

Joop de Gruiter
Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2004 09:30 AM      Profile for Joop de Gruiter   Email Joop de Gruiter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The picture is taken through a loupe, I haven't got a scanner yet.
Did Paramount Pictures use Vitaphone or simular discs? Can we assume that the lab just still used the same old leaders since Vitaphone wasn't in use anymore by 1941?

Joop.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-29-2004 05:53 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is a "loupe"? I don't think we have that word over here (at least I haven't personally obtained it in my vocabulary yet). I look at the picture and I still have no clue what I am looking at. It doesn't look like anything. Inquiring minds wanna know! [Smile]

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2004 05:59 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
What is a "loupe"? I don't think we have that word over here (at least I haven't personally obtained it in my vocabulary yet).
Type of magnifying glass; also handy for checking for hooked sprockets.

danny

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2004 10:15 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
Magnifying glass? What, one of them jeweler's/watchmaker's thingies they stick in their eye ans squint through?

Naaaah!

A loupe is what you make in the projectore so the filme doesn't breake.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-29-2004 11:52 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some loupes (these are made by Gaebel):

-

Typical film inspection usage:

-

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-30-2004 02:44 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But what are those brown-ish brick like things around the silver image? This MUST be explained quickly!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: