Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 70mm interlock: Has it ever been done?

Author Topic: 70mm interlock: Has it ever been done?
Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2004 06:59 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Basically, what the question says. Has a 70mm print ever been interlocked between two (or more) auditoriums in a multiplex situation? I don't see why it would be any more difficult than a 35mm interlock, except that perhaps the twists and turns would have to be a little more gentle.

A few reasons I can think of why this would not have been done: most multiplexes would not have more than one 70mm-capable screen; screens likely to be equipped with 70mm would all be very large, such that interlocking them would create too many seats for a given show; and possible restrictions by paranoid distributors to protect an enormously more expensive print (i.e., mag-striped).

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-26-2004 07:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I did it one time to move Titanic from Cinema I to Cinema II at Northpark in Dallas.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2004 07:05 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was it an actual show, or just to move the print? Did you actually run the print through the projectors or just from one platter to the other?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-26-2004 07:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the show was ran, but not to a paying audience. Cinema I was being presented "one last time" for the staff who had been busting their humps for the last several months and Cinema II was being presented to tune the sound as best as could be achieved for that film. A number of people were bouncing back and forth to hear the difference between the two auditoriums. Needless to say, Cinema I got the phenomenal two thumbs up vote from everyone. Nobody was impressed with the sound in Cinema II when comparing it to Cinema I, although I thought that it was the best that room had ever sounded, given the equipment.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 05-26-2004 07:56 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cost of the print is the major restriction. Theatre chains would have to pay for the print if your damage it. Back when the movie "Adventures in Babysitting" came out. The Cineplex Theatre at Universal Studios in Universal City, CA, opened the movie in 70MM and within the first few days the Local 150 operator scratched the entire print, by misthreading. Cineplex had to pay for the whole print ($40,000). Pacific Theatres would have an extra projectionist on duty when 70MM was booked into their houses.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-26-2004 09:07 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Famous Players Yorkdale ran Stakeout in 70mm on an interlock that was 100' around 2 corners for about 3 weeks with no problems

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2004 09:15 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were interlocking Rocky IV and Top Gun back when they were released. Two houses, Christie platters, JJs and Showman 2 automation.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-26-2004 09:20 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I live pretty close to New York, but never heard it being done. Because of the cost, most people are not that brave!

It's a sad comment on the studios to think there was a time when a film like Adventures in Babysitting would be released in 70mm, but today, nothing is, not even the Star Wars, LOTRs, etc.

Brian D. Whitish
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2004 09:26 PM      Profile for Brian D. Whitish   Email Brian D. Whitish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the lovely(har)Rose Moyer in Portland our company ran Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom in 70mm interlocked. The run was at least 75 feet. Ran on the Orange ORC platters. I think the projectors were Simplex 35/70 but it might have been Century JJs. Its been awhile.

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2004 04:02 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The projectionist I work with ran 70MM interlock at the Crest Cinemas in Seattle. They ran Close Encounters and Raiders of the Lost Ark. I worked that theatre some years later and believe me I cannot fiqure out to this day how the hell they got the film to run around corners. The two booths were quite a distance from each other, but apparently it worked.

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2004 08:57 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at this question: I`m certainly glad I`m as old as I am.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: