Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ashcraft 35/70 focusing data (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ashcraft 35/70 focusing data
Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2004 06:34 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We need the critical distance from the back of the reflector to the aperture plate when installing the Ashcraft Carbon Arc Lamp.

The usual critical distance is 29 1/2 inches. I believe that this lamp is different.

Could anyone please supply this information?

Thanks
KEN

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-23-2004 06:47 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What model of Ashcraft lamp? There are manuals for a couple of them in the Film-Tech manuals section; they give this information.

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2004 09:35 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kenneth,
The Core Lite series of lamps specified 29.5-29.75 inches as the working distance. I recently installed a pair of Core Lites on Motiograph bases. Due to the design of the base the closest I could get the lamp was 31". It works fine although I'm sure there's some light loss. We nearly doubled the light from the old Strong Mighty Nineties at the same current.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-23-2004 10:54 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bless you all for perpetuating the art.

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2004 01:55 PM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amen!

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2004 02:34 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK!
Thanks for all of the responses. We are still running carbon arc and single reels. If we can get the light output where it was before, we will continue until there are no more carbons. Running two Xenon lamps for the entire showing is not a pleasant nor efficient option for us.

The lamp nameplate says 35/70. The current is 150 Amps and we have the matching Ashcraft power supplies with silicon diode rectifiers. The backup power supplies are Ashcrafts with Copper Oxide stacks.

These machines are Cinemeccanica V-10 and it is not possible to get the lamps much closer to the aperture plates. I measured the light and it is less than we were getting before the theatre was idled for restoration.

These specific lamps are not covered in the Manuals section here, that is why I have posted this thread.

Your help is sincerely appreciated.

KEN

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2004 09:05 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kenneth,
The Cinex which I think was sold as the 35/70 had a working distance of 34.5".

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-24-2004 01:15 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Post a picture of the beast as the cinex and the super cinex and some of the corelites get a bit confusing

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2004 01:49 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Robert for that piece of information. I am certain that there is no way to get the reflector within 29 inches of the aperture. It is possible to move it to the dimension you suggest and that is not where it is now.

Gordon, I will take some photos of the booth later this week. We have run "Titanic" and "Casablanca" for two performances each. The images are not up to our old standards for brightness and sharpness.

Thanks again, KEN

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-24-2004 06:47 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Vic10 had a rather small drum shutter and it may be thottling the light as well
Somewhere in the dark mists of the past I remember reading something about issues with certain lamphouses on vic10's

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-24-2004 10:10 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a note in the Ashcraft Corelite 150's we used saying that projectors with barrel shutters would prevent the lamphouse from being positioned forward enought for correct distance.

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2004 09:44 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cinex manual specifically refers to using the Motiograph AAA with no problems.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2004 10:06 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recent trip to the booth yields this information: The Ashcraft series is a Cinex Special. The model number is CS-35/70.

I cannot attach the photos but I can e-mail them if you want to see the nameplate and the mounted lamp.

KEN

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-27-2004 08:32 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well since it appears it is a Cinex try positioning it at the 34.5" mark and see what happens
The Cinex was an excellent lamphouse

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2004 03:31 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gordon.

I have no manual for this beast and although the innards appear as all other Ashcrafts, that distance seems more logical. This unit has a very large dichroic mirror reflector. I believe we got two of the last ones out there.

I believe there is a special arcscope graticle for this lamp also. Both of the original paper ones were lost over the years and so the two in there now may not be correct. The Positive position is different for the two formats.

A distance of 6 3/4 inches from back of reflector to the crater edge appears best for 35mm on the screen.

KEN

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: