Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Shrek 2 Aspect Ratio (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Shrek 2 Aspect Ratio
John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-20-2004 11:03 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this really 1.85:1? Over in the FITA, Brad points me at the reel ID db. It looks like 1.66:1 there to me.

I measure 85pixels x 52 pixels, which is 1.63:1. Then, measuring the ratio of 1 perf's pitch to the width, I get 136pixels/18pixels (7.{5}), and it should be 7.37 (35/25.4/.187), that's a 1.025 distortion. Applying that to 1.63:1 yields 1.67:1 (pretty close to 1.66:1).

So, is it really 1.85:1?

--jhawk

p.s.: The question of which A/R to show it in is, of course, different, but it's hard for me to imagine animated features have elements that the animators would rather we crop out...

(Joe's edit was to move this from Yak, I guess; oh, and to expand the topic title from "A/R" to "Aspect Ratio"

[ 05-21-2004, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: John Hawkinson ]

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-20-2004 11:24 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps done that way for compatibility with European locations that will screen Shrek 2 in 1.66?

For the animators, the difference between 1.66 and 1.85 isn't that much. They could protect for 1.85 and allow for fall off out to 1.66.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-20-2004 11:28 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Practically all exhibitors are equipped for 1:1.85, fewer and fewer for 1:1.66 although that format is still used regularly. I think this might be more with the later family friendly full screen TV version in mind.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-21-2004 01:02 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or an IMAX release maybe?

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2004 02:26 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a 3 minute test of the original Shrek converted to 3D IMAX. I saw it at a couple of industry events including VFX2002 in London.It looked amazing. [Cool]

There were rumours around last autumn that Shrek 2 was going to be a "standard" IMAX DMR release but nothing concrete has emerged.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2004 12:42 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Schaffer wrote:
quote: Michael Schaffer

Practically all exhibitors are equipped for 1:1.85, fewer and fewer for 1:1.66 although that format is still used regularly.

That's right, but with animated features, some theatres preferred to show them 1.66 because the prints looked so unsharp (e.g. TOY STORY, ICE AGE), I saw FINDING NEMO on 1.66 and was very glad they didn't make it even more blurry by going to 1.85.

But I doubt this was only a problem of rendering/recording resolution, maybe the usual sloppy mass printing ("I don't want it good, I want 1200 print for this market, and I want them Tuesday!")was responsible for this.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-21-2004 02:56 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael mentioned 1.66 for the eventual "family friendly full screen" video release. Which reminds me that I forgot that 1.66 will also cover both SD and future HD 1.78 DVD releases... [Embarrassed]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-22-2004 10:10 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember running BEAUTY AND THE BEAST which was hard-matted at 1.85, contrary to the SMPTE Recommended Practice, I might add. It became painfully apparent that this feature was animated full frame and with the TV/Cable video market as the prime audience. Thing is, the animators didn't keep that 1.85 safe; there were shots where heads and chins were chopped off and composition looked claustrophobic through out. Had this print been hard matted at 1.66, I would gladly have projected it that way.

I later was able to get both a letterboxed Laserdisc version and a full frame VHS version and ran them side by side. Sure enough, the full-frame looked perfect -- framed so that heads were composed properly whereas the letterbox version was simply the masked full-frame image without any attempt to recenter. And indeed, there was no way you could recenter the closeup shots because they filled the 1.37 frame perfectly.

Funny how at one time it was the theatrical version that was the primary focus of the cinematographer -- whatever happened in the video realm was, well, whatever. We seem to have slowly moved in the other direction, where what used to be called the ancillary market, video, that's what the film is created for. At times, the theatrical release seems to be nothing more than an overblown advertisement for the real meat-and-potatoes....the video market.

Tao Yue
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2004 10:59 AM      Profile for Tao Yue   Author's Homepage   Email Tao Yue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, ever since the advent of Super 35, chopping-off-heads has been an accepted compositional technique.

As for Shrek 2, since an entire 3D environment is programmed, the extra height is just a matter of computational time. As the top and bottom have a heavier mix of 2D elements than the center of the frame, the additional computational time is minimal.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-22-2004 05:45 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you people never watched true anamorphic movies before? Chopping off heads is proper composition provided the idea is to get in that close on the subject. The EYELINE should be 1/4 to 1/3 down from the top of the screen. If the eyeline is followed, everything else falls into place 99.9% of the time (things such as landscapes are where this doesn't apply). It's basic cinematography.

Tao Yue
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2004 10:27 PM      Profile for Tao Yue   Author's Homepage   Email Tao Yue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, I've seen lots of anamorphic films before. But the extreme closeup was extremely rare prior to the advent of Super 35, and done when it suited the dramatic purposes of the picture. Now, it's done as a matter of habit.

Perhaps this is more a Clint Eastwood-style objection to the prevalence of the ECU in modern films (he uses his own medicine: Mystic River is photographed with a lot more breathing room than most of today's 2.39 films). A movie composed of ECU after ECU (without good reason) is still poorly composed even if they follow the compositional rules for each ECU.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-23-2004 12:01 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
So you don't like the style then. That's fine, but for you to say the composition is poor, that's a bad choice of terminology.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-23-2004 12:34 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
the theatrical release seems to be nothing more than an overblown advertisement for the real meat-and-potatoes....the video market.
I wish people would quit saying this. If it wasn't for the theatrical release, there wouldn't BE a meat-and-potatoes video market.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2004 11:18 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought NEMO was hard-matted for 1.85? At least, that's what I remember. I thought it was a bit out of frame at one scene, (the fishes seemed higher than they should be) and when I went to frame down, the black bar appeared at the top instantly. So I framed back up, and the bottom one started to ceep up. So I'm assuming it's exactly 1.85. (Yes, the masking was set correctly, and it's side-masking)

For the DVD of Nemo, I heard they pulled a "Super35" type pan-n-scan. They chopped off only a little bit off the sides, and opened up the top and bottom of the frame to fill the 1.33 ratio. (I think it was shot at 1.78 on the computers)

=TMP=

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-23-2004 12:13 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
So you don't like the style then. That's fine, but for you to say the composition is poor, that's a bad choice of terminology.
When a character's face moves out of the frame and that character is the focus of the action, yet the frame cuts across his eyes, or he is decapitated by the frame edge, then that's no longer style, but something any student in Composition 1.1 knows is just bad compostion. Yes, you can give benefit of the doubt to a lot of crap and call it style (BLAIR WITCHCRAFT, CHELSEA WALLS come to mind), but most people who live and breath film and film imagery can distinguish between style and just bad composition. And then there's bad style as well.

quote: Mike Blakesley
I wish people would quit saying this. If it wasn't for the theatrical release, there wouldn't BE a meat-and-potatoes video market.
And I wish the studios would stop cutting the legs out of releases so that that whole ancilliary market, now the "second run" theatres, had the same chance they had at playing product as they did when there was a reasonable window between theatrical and video release dates. Someplace along the line it was decided that as soon as enough hoopla was generated in the opening weeks of the theatrical release, the title is already being readied for its launch into the video world. That doesn't say much for the regard studios moguls have for theatrical exhibition. Even first-run exhibitors have had a one-note lament for the past few decades: "PLEASE don't go to video so fast." Yet the window keeps getting smaller and smaller. And VIDEO grosses keep getting bigger and bigger. The traditional protection that a well-paced released schedule to different markets has evaporated and the result has pretty much changed the entire exhibition landscape. If "I'll just wait for it to come to cable or DVD" meant a good 6 to 10 months as it used to, allot more people would choose to see it at the theatre instead. Today when people discuss a film around the water cooler, a good percentage of them are not talking about their theatre experience but of their pay-per-view or even their video rental experience.

Granted, there is no substantive video market for box office flops (most times). But the industry continues to reduce theatrical exhibition to just another one of the steps in its marketing system, not the primary goal to achieve maximum return at the box office. Once the theatrical release has fulfilled it's goal -- to make everyone aware of a title -- then the focus quickly shifts elseware.... like the sales of those little shiney DVD things.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: