Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projection Booth Arts + Crafts: DIY Masking Tape Dispenser

Author Topic: Projection Booth Arts + Crafts: DIY Masking Tape Dispenser
Jackson Gilman
Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2004 10:09 AM      Profile for Jackson Gilman   Email Jackson Gilman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you one of those who hates using both hands to peel just a little nib of tape off those rolls of masking tape, just so you can hold a piece of rolling stock together on the shelf, or you need to mark reels, etc? Have you ever asked yourself, "Do they make dispensers for these things?" I'm sure they sell them at Office Depot, but for those who work in a place where your manager won't buy frivolous junk for the booth, here is a little project for ya:

Materials Needed:

-Film Core x1
-A desktop scotch tape dispenser
-Nail File, or other such cutting tool
-Masking tape

Simply cut a film core to the width that will fit on the spindle inside the tape dispenser. Next, put the core on a trailer winder and slowly, with your tape, wind tape around it until it won't fit in the dispenser basin. Viola; you have a masking tape dispenser!

The tape may loose some stickiness so I'm sure it's not good to use to secure tails to reels. I was bored one day, and made this, but it works suprisingly well.

-Jackson

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-20-2004 10:47 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jackson Gilman
The tape may loose some stickiness so I'm sure it's not good to use to secure tails to reels. I was bored one day, and made this, but it works suprisingly well.

Masking tape, "Magic" tape, or clear cellophane (e.g., "Scotch Tape") tapes should not be used on film for any reason, even for simply taping down ends. It quicky degenerates either into a gooey mess, or dusty particles of dried adhesive.

High quality artists or drafting tape is a much better choice.

Some vendors:

http://www.artstuff.net/artists_tapes.htm

http://www.misterart.com/store/view/001/group_id/1225/1225.cfm

http://www.sbfilmaudio.com/editorial1.html

http://www.eepco.com/catalog17.htm

http://www.christys.net/film.html#supplies

http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/servlet/OnlineShopping

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 05-21-2004 10:14 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or just visit any good local art supply store! There is absolutely no reason to ever, ever, ever put masking tape on film! Bad, bad, bad.

And Office Depot sells a masking tape dispenser that works well with most similar sized rolls of artists tape.

Bryan Fournier
Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2004 11:54 PM      Profile for Bryan Fournier   Email Bryan Fournier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find 3/4" console or artist's tape to work best. Stays between the perforations and, most importantly, does not leave residue. Be ready to pay $3 or $4 dollars per roll. You might be better off buying in bulk (12 rolls or more). They also fit nicely into your generic 3M tape dispenser sold at your local Office Depot or Staples.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-22-2004 09:05 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use masking tape to tape down the end of the IMAX prints between shows (since it will get removed within a day at the most) and we go through about 2 rolls a week so artist tape would be a unreasonable cost
Also most labs use regular masking tape applied tto the print behind the reel ID to make it visable

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-22-2004 12:40 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon writes, "most labs use regular masking tape applied tto the print behind the reel ID to make it visable."

Maybe they do in Canada, but on all prints I get in the US, be they from Technicolor or Deluxe, including Deluxe Toronto, any tape backing applied behind the title for contrast is not masking tape. It has the appearance of white paper tape / artists tape, though I haven't analyzed it in detail.

--jhawk

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2004 05:46 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The tape labs use resembles Permacel, which is decent... but I have found it will eventually leave residue when left on for months.

I agree that any tape carrying the generic "masking tape" moniker should be avoided, but 3M makes some good "painter's masking tapes" such as 2080 and 2090.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-22-2004 05:51 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before the move Deluxe Toronto used 3m masking tape

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2004 02:04 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Artists tape has adhesive failure after some time in whatever storage conditions are that rep prints are kept in. Masking tape easily performs that function better than artists tape. I prefer getting prints with the leaders held down with masking tape, as opposed to loose with a strip of artists tape somewhere in the bottom of the can or still stuck only on one side.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-24-2004 06:07 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William Hooper writes, "Artists tape has adhesive failure after some time in whatever storage conditions are that rep prints are kept in."

I think your experience is counter to the experience of most here, including myself.

Clearly, for taping down reel ends, the most important criterion is that the tape last. It's not so critical if it leaves some adhesive behind, since its not being projected on-screen (and in many cases doesn't run through the projector). So if masking tape really held better than paper tape, I think most would agree with you.

But my experience is that it does not. While it's hard to evaluate because the set of prints arriving with masking-taped leaders is so small, and there may be other factors, my recollection is that more than half the time at least one reel will be "free" if the print has been masking-taped. Plus, back in the dark ages before we used paper tape, I recall instances where we ourselves applied new masking tape before moving a print from one booth to another, and had it fail.

Furthermore, it seems counterintuitive; assuming the adhesives are equal, one would expect the thicker tape to hold better. Paper tape is thicker than most masking tapes, I believe.

As an aside, recently we had a print arrive that was taped laterally, and then about 2" down the sides under the flanges. While effective, it sure was annoying to remove. Presumably taped that way for shipment on cores from the lab without reels for protection...

--jhawk

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2004 06:24 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
old masking tape tends to stick either too well or not well enough. and even when it's "not well enough", it can still leave rock hard residue after flaking off and kicking up a dust storm of dried glue particles.

carl

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-24-2004 09:50 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All tapes are not created equal. As noted, most "masking" tapes are not suitable for long term use on film.

If you are choosing a tape to use on film, I would suggest running an "accelerated" test of tape degradation. Use old trailers to make up small rolls of film, and apply samples of the various tapes you might use, applying them to both the emulsion side and base sides of the film. Incubate the samples in an oven at about 50 degrees Celsius (122F) for about a week, and you'll quickly find which tapes tend to turn to goo or dust.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: