Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New projectors in...now I want the manual. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: New projectors in...now I want the manual.
Todd Cornwall
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2004 07:52 PM      Profile for Todd Cornwall   Email Todd Cornwall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may be a stupid question, but we just recevied some new projectors (NEW!). Since I would like to download a manual for myself, I checked out the model. It shows that they are Simplex 35 Millenium. I didn't see any other model number on it. The only Simplex Millenium model that I see a manual for is the PR2000 and one with a TU2020/2030 turret. The pictures look similar to the actual projector, but since they are still wrapped in plastic, I couldn't tell for sure. Anyone know which manual would be correct..if any? Also, I'd be interested in hearing opinions about these units. Good, bad or other. Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-19-2004 08:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Should've bought Kinoton. [Frown]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-19-2004 08:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree with Brad.... [thumbsdown] Kinotons are great projectors but buying a Kinoton does not solve all things wrong with all the other machines out there... you still have VERY high parts costs and plastic runners and skates to replace every so often [Roll Eyes] . Nothing wrong with a Simplex in my book... There are good and bad points to every machine out there. I'm surprised Brad didn't say you should have put in all JJ's [Confused] . I thought that was his favorite machine... and there are many available very cheap right now. The JJ is just as good on screen as a Kinoton and better than a Simplex, but the Simplex is the more reliable if properly maintained. Trade offs on everything!

About the manual... Call Strong and make them send you a copy of the manual in the binder!! If these just came from the factory there should have been a binder with each new machine! If you need theor toll free number just send me an e-mail.

BTW: If it were my choice I would say put in all Phillips FP-56's as it is THE finest 35mm projector ever made! The only drawback is that it has not been made since the late 50's.

Mark

Todd Cornwall
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2004 08:24 PM      Profile for Todd Cornwall   Email Todd Cornwall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They actually wanted more Christies, but apparently Christie seems to be going digital so they went for the Simplex.

Also curious in case anyone knows....

Is there a big difference between the M35GP (Christie) and the P35GP? We have the M, but I only find manuals for the P version. Just curious if anyone knows the difference.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-19-2004 08:29 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The latest Christie is actually VERY good. The P35-GP is about to be discontinued. In the new machine they switched over to round tooth timming belt drive, eliminated the double sided belt and had the pulleys hard coat anodized and then teflon coated. Great idea! I suggested this to them about 6 years ago.... This is the Christie with only one lower sprocket. This model also works exceedingly well with basement digital readers.

If Christie ever went to just selling Digital they would go out of buisness in less than 6 months...

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-19-2004 09:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, have you seen the current level of quality coming out of Strong lately on new machines? And yes I do like the Century JJ quite a bit, but I wouldn't want one coming off the assembly line today.

Todd Cornwall
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2004 09:19 PM      Profile for Todd Cornwall   Email Todd Cornwall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the M version of the Christie is the newer model? I would have thought P would be the newer model..shows what I know.

I'm sure that a manual showed up with the Simplex projectors, but I dont know if its buried somewhere in the plastic wrap, or if it has been taken and stored away somewhere. Eitherway, I wanted a copy for myself so I don't have to hunt anyone down when I need to look something up. Where would I look for an exact model number? Or does Simplex only make one version of the Millenium?

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2004 09:26 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found parts for Kinotons very reasonable and no more expensive than parts for other projectors.As for the nylon runner strips they are far better than steel or bands and last just as well as they are reversable and the skate also lasts well.Have just replaced all 8 of mine after 2 yrs.The nylon runners and skate are very gentle on film and less abbrasive on the SR.D track as well as running cooler.

[beer]

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-19-2004 10:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven,
Pricing all depends on how well your currency converts over and the duty rate charged. Shipping/crating also affects the end price to a latge extent and you pay for it all! We quoted a Kinoton Sidewinder not too long ago and the shipping/crating/etc added another 2500.00 to the price! In the U.S. German made goods tend to be very high priced as is Italian made stuff. A 35mm Cinemecannica gate plate cost us about 1100.00 U.S.. While the Kinoton runners may be inexpensive try replacing a Kinoton intermittent, or the Pabst outer rotor motor sometime... then you'll find out what the word expensive means.

We have a fair number of Ernamans around this area and they have been pretty darn reliable except for the motor which is identical to the one Kinoton uses.... The replacement Ernamann motor costs us slightly less than $1000 U.S. to purchase. While the motor on the Simplex, which is better built, and more durable, costs us a third of the Ernamann motor. This is but one example. I'm not knocking the Kinoton in any way in regards to quality on screen, just in its high parts cost... and there are U.S. made projectors that do just as good on screen as the Kinoton does.
BTW: Take the skate on the Kinoton and the skate on the Simplex... I don't know what the Kinoton skate costs today as I have not bought one for about 15 years, but I bet its at least as much as the Simplex skate...which costs around 80.00 to buy but can last 10 to 15 years before there is appreciable wear... its gate bands can last as long as two years if not run with undue tension, ditto on the Century machines. Again its all tradeoffs, but theatre owners also need to be concious of overall upkeep and maintainance costs to stay afloat.

Mark

Todd Cornwall
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2004 11:35 PM      Profile for Todd Cornwall   Email Todd Cornwall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.....but what about my original question??

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-20-2004 12:19 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should find the model info on the side of the shutter guard and/or on the front of the turret control cabinet. You can start out by reading the manuals available here or on the Strong website. The models are all not that different. The main difference between recent and older models is in the gate/aperture changer area.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2004 12:34 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The PR-2000 is the Millenium.

Todd Cornwall
Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2004 01:24 AM      Profile for Todd Cornwall   Email Todd Cornwall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and thats the ONLY Millenium? What about the manual for the one with the turret? Whats the difference there? I'm just to new to these to know the difference. Thanks for the reply!!

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-20-2004 02:27 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I have to step in here and say something. There is nothing wrong with simplex? Oh, where to begin. How about the the gate that you cant get in to clean (THAT was a great idea), poorly engineered movments that die in 3 years (We've got two of them that sound a bit like rock grinders on any given day). Hell yeah, nothing wrong with a simplex........

I rest my case.

Oh yeah, I forgot the turrets that suck ass...

JJ

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-20-2004 03:22 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh, you should see a couple of the local "all-Strong" theaters that have only put 2-3 years on their equipment that are falling apart...and not from abuse. Factory new Century intermittents that sound like 5 guys each armed with 2 hammers banging on a Strong platter deck as fast as they can is a delightful sound, but one I am told "will go away with time". I am also quite fond of the Highlight 2 ignitors that die within 6 months time from brand new. Did you say turret? Let's NOT go there! How about we talk about their lovely platters?

With the new equipment choices that are available TODAY, they should've bought Kinoton.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: