Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Christie platter lubrication

Author Topic: Christie platter lubrication
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-19-2004 05:09 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What type of lubricant/grease if any works best around the axle of the platter where the washers and bearing are, and inside the axle around the deck hub? None is specified in the manual, but all the platters I have come across were greased. Or is that yet another unnecessary bad habit?

|  IP: Logged

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2004 06:31 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael

Please refer to the Christie AW3-R manual in the F-T Manuals Forum.

Refer to page 16: 3.1.3

"Lubricate axel, bearing and thrust washers with LUBRIPLATE 130-AA."

As a side note...as discussed elsewhere, use clear silicon bicycle chain lubricant to service the film roller shafts as necessary, but DO NOT USE THE LUBRIPLATE ON THE PAYOUT-HEADS OR ROLLERS, OTHERWISE YOU WILL HAVE A BIG MESS! [Big Grin] [Wink] [thumbsup] [beer]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-19-2004 07:50 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! I knew it was in the manual, but I just couldn`t find it because I searched through the maintenance rather than the installation section.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-19-2004 07:53 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know it may say so in the manual, but Lubriplate has a nasty tendedcy to cake up and dry out rapidly.

I use standard wheel bearing grease on the thrust bearings and spindles on Christie platters.

Additionally, there should be NO reason to lube any other parts of a Christie platter, but if you do get a squeaky roller from time to time, a spritz of Film-Guard will quiet it up without the gooey aftereffects of other lubricants.

-Aaron

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-19-2004 08:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't use anything but synthetic grease on the Christies bearings!! If you use it there will be no problem with any grease drying out ever. Wheel bearing grease is really too heavy for that small bearing, the synthetic stuff(red in color) works far better, eventually the wheel bearing grease will cake up and dry out as well. Get a tube of Synthetic Wheel bearing grease at your local Auto PArts store. Also, if you find any Lubriplate in any booths throw it in the garbage... Its the grease equivelent to WD-40 [Eek!] .

Mark

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-19-2004 09:27 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Specifically what brands of grease do you have good experiences with?

Bryan Fournier
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2004 09:54 PM      Profile for Bryan Fournier   Email Bryan Fournier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strong makes a synthetic lubricant that works great. It's red/orange in color. I beleive the strong reference number is TU-380.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-19-2004 10:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,
Here is a link to the Mobil One stuff.... Slick 50 also has a synthetic grease that was the same Christie Blue color. How convenient in color but that grease is hard to find. The Mobil is carried in any major autop Parts store anbd is red in color. I have to chuckle at how slow the manufacturers are in changing to Synthetics but at least Strong has gotten smart. I've been using synthetics, both oil and grease, for well over 10 years.

http://www.mobil1.com/products/grease.jsp

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-20-2004 08:02 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second the Mobile red grease as the right tool for the job. Never had any problems with it on Christie needle bearings.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: