Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Do you remove the attached trailer? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Do you remove the attached trailer?
Todd Cornwall
Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2004 11:55 PM      Profile for Todd Cornwall   Email Todd Cornwall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just curious if anyone here removes the attached trailer in order to keep all of the preview trailers together when putting together a movie? The options are:

1. Two trailers, Dolby/THX, attached trailer, feature.

2. Three trailers (attached trailer removed and re spliced), Dolby/THX, feature.

The 2nd option seems to give a better presentation overall, but I was just curious what other theaters do.

Also, anyone remove the green bands from previews? I've seen it done both ways.

Thanks for your input.

|  IP: Logged

Nicole Halper
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2004 12:00 AM      Profile for Nicole Halper   Author's Homepage   Email Nicole Halper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We definately remove the green band from the previews every time! I know not all theatres do ~ but I've heard some funny tales about people who have left them on at our place-- and they don't live that one down. [Razz]
Personally I like it better without the bands. I think it just flows nicer, and gives an overall better presentation.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-19-2004 12:27 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Removing green bands from trailers is a great way to hide how dirty your films really are. It also helps to give the trailer presentation more of a "tv commercial" feeling to it.

Todd Cornwall
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2004 12:33 AM      Profile for Todd Cornwall   Email Todd Cornwall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So are you saying that it cheapens the presentation? I actaully prefer to leave them on myself, I've always done it that way, but more and more theaters are starting to remove them and I don't really know why. It saves maybe 15 seconds off the entire movie.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2004 12:55 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we take the attached trailer off and we ALWAYS take off the ratings band. I think the ratings band looks horrible, plus it's looks professional to have all your trailers together and then additional snipes after/before the trailers...

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-19-2004 01:07 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there are other threads dedicated to green band removal that discusion can continue in those till we all turn green. [Smile] When I used to use the sound snipes I made sure all trailers came before the snipe then the feature.

Todd Cornwall
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2004 01:24 AM      Profile for Todd Cornwall   Email Todd Cornwall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think I've seen the discussions, or at least part of them. My main question was regarding the removal of the attached trailer. I kind of thought that if the trailer was meant to be removed, it would have been loose in the can like the rest of the trailers.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-19-2004 01:32 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Give the man a prize. This whole thing has been discussed to death before. Try a search. [Wink]

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2004 02:42 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I put on a sound snipe, I ALWAYS splice the attached trailer to the other trailers and then throw the sound snipe right before the feature. In fact, I have the full dim cue at the end of the attatched trailer so that by the time the sound snipe starts, the lights are all the way down and the audience knows the show is about to start. If you visit our theatre, you know I built the print if that happens because I'm the only one to put the full dim cue there! Everyone else puts it at the beginning of the attached trailer, or (worse) at the beginning of the film if there is no attached trailer. I just like that dramatic lowering of lights and a few seconds of black and darkness before that disc flies across the screen or that thunderbolt claps before we see that chopper! It says to your audience: this is it, the thing you've been waiting for is about to begin. Even if we had policy trailers (which we don't), I'd still want to put the sound snipe after that. I know this is how it was done when I first started seeing films at our place (well before I began working there).

AJG

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2004 04:33 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh well, we beat the cyan tracks thread to death here so here goes on the green bands......
I understand all AMC theatres remove the green bands on trailers for some dumb reason or other. Why? What the hell difference does it make.
What if the sound starts in that green band? Sounds choppy to me.
I cannot for the life of me fiqure out why you would want to lop the green band off?????
Don't they advise the audience what the feature rating is and why?
This is creepy. Too much time on certain people's hands.
Nuff said.
Good night all.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-19-2004 08:08 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if we are obliged to play the entire trailer, green band included, or not. I suspect there is such an obligation but, like many things in the movie business, people look the other way.

Now, MOST theaters don't play anything but green banded trailers. Being a small non-commercial venue, we occasionally DO play red banded trailers. I think, if you play a red band trailer, you are obliged to inform the viewing public what they are about to see. If you play a red band trailer you NEED to leave the band on.

Therefore, if you play even one red trailer you need to leave the green bands on all the other trailers too. I say if you play even an occasional red trailer you should play all your green bands.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2004 09:03 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I leave the green bands on because of the LACK of dirt on them. I mean, we're paying for the Film Guard so show it off!

If we gave the trailers a "TV commercial feel," we'd have some of our patrons more confused (than they already are) over the fact that our LCD projectors for the on-screen advertising are not where the movie will be shown from. Call it sense of security that I'm doing my job right.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-19-2004 11:00 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We remove ALL green bands; we collect them for about a month or so, then splice them together and then run a full reel of them to get it out of everyone's system. [Big Grin]

Hey, I hate being crewl to animals, but let me beat this poor dead horse just one last time --

Why would anyone lop off green rating bands you ask?

1) because most of them look like 6th generation garbage, 2) if you are playing 3 or 4 or 5 trailers, the rating bands are ridiculously repetitious -- one at the head of all your trailers will do what it needs to do -- inform the patrons that the FOLLOWING attractions are OK for their tender eyes. No need to say it over and over before EACH trailer.

As for the trailer(s) that come attached to the film, it all depends on your presentation format and where you are in the food chain. We are second run. Any trailer that manages to survive still attached to the body of the print is probably out of date. And in addition, we keep all coming attractions on our cartoon/attraction reel.

Our feature always opens with a curtain and curtain warmer cue, so we must move any trailer off the head of R1 and splice it into the attraction reel, otherwise the thing makes no sense. If your theatre plays everything straight -- without a curtain and curtain warmer cue, just trailers running right into the feature, then it won't matter; you can leave them attached.

On the other hand, if you have a policy like we do -- which is that we DO NOT play any trailer if we are not going to play that feature in our theatre -- then off it comes. If we are not going to play that feature, then its trailer just becomes confusing to the audience. And to take a mercenary moment, it also becomes promotion NOT for OUR theatre but it's an ad for the film company. I say, if the studio wants to advertise on my screen, it will jolly-well have to pay CASH for screen time, just like any other merchant. But, oh wait.... I forgot; we never, EVER play merchant ads or commercials....so gee, I guess they are just plumb out of luck. And sticking their commercial on the front of the print doesn't get them a free ride. They sure would scream like banshees if I decided to splice a commercial for my theatre at the head of their print before I sent it back.

And, PS, I asked this question in the other thread and never got an answer: when did running coming attractions become, not a promotion for the theatre's up-coming engagements, as it did originally -- you only played a trailer for what was going to appear on your screen -- to the situation which we seem to have now, where theatres play all kinds of trailer for titles that may never play in their house?

Alexander Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2004 11:02 AM      Profile for Alexander Smith   Email Alexander Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is probably UK specific but...

My employer is a Cinema Exhibitor's Association member, the
policy of CEA cinemas is not to show pre-attached trailers.

Ever.

This is probably related to an on-going advertising campaign
by Orange and BVHE.

I think it makes a neater presentation if there are no
trailers after the policy title anyway. Our audiences know
that when the policy title starts, they have ~90 seconds to
get those last minute purchases at the kiosk.

Alex.

Craig Kocher
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2004 12:08 PM      Profile for Craig Kocher   Email Craig Kocher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, My Company gives us a set List of what trailers can go on what and why. so removing the Green Band is not even a Option. Oh well..

Craig

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: