Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Will DTS XD10 end SDDS? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Will DTS XD10 end SDDS?
Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2004 02:37 PM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I´ve heard SDDS has stopped production
of new equipment, and will supply spare parts for
about 7(?) more years.

SDDS is a great system (when it works), but with the
new DTS XD10, with up to 10 channels, will film-producers
still supply prints with SDDS-tracks? Anyone with inside information on this?

Thomas

|  IP: Logged

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2004 04:50 PM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No inside dope, but I have noted over the years that many Sony and Columbia (Sony-owned) films didn't have SDDS tracks, but did have SR-D or DTS. Which didn't inspire confidence!

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2004 05:01 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps, with new added equipment able to play 8 channel sound the producers will decide to make more 8 channel prints...

Ah, and remember that DTS 8 channel will be with no compression, better than sdds!!

Bye
A

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-18-2004 05:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio, not to burst your bubble, but DTS is compressed. Just because the sound is on a disc instead of the film doesn't mean it isn't. Most everyone I have spoken to in direct A/B testing (done fairly) finds SDDS to sound better than DTS too.

8 channel is not going to happen. Just watch.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-18-2004 05:48 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Brad, but fitting 8 channels on a DVD requires a lot less compression than 5 channels on 2 CDROMS.

--jhawk

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-18-2004 06:53 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are correct, Thomas, Sony Cinema Products has failed to exist for about 2 years now.

Don't expect much, if any, support from Sony [Consumer products] if something breaks.

Robbie Hidalgo at Cinematech might be your only hope.

Good Luck.

-Aaron

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2004 06:56 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should also remember that DTS, while compressed, does not suffer from error correction in the same way that SRD and SDDS does. Provided the timecode can be read then DTS will always playback perfectly.... unlike SRD where the playback deteriorates with print age and error rates rise.

DTS is effectivly a loss less playback system. If, when, DTS moves to DVD then the need to compress data will reduce and the result will be much better sound than SRD and SDDS can ever achive in the real world.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-18-2004 08:01 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DTS XD10 does offer the option of uncompressed LPCM playback, even at 24-bit/96kHz levels. It will also play back tracks using DTS' own 2:1 lossless encoding system as well. The machine also plays back all the "home" version formats of DTS, including DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete. This is built in partly for the video handling capability of the unit, where .VOB files are sent to a video projection system.

You will not get the high rez audio formats on a normal DTS CD-ROM though. The CDs use the old APT-X100 compression system, running at 820 kilobits per second.

I'm skeptical about the DTS 8-channel (or 10-channel) formats getting off the ground, at least in normal theatrical releases. The XD-10 has been available for a year now and there has not been a single release featuring any "next generation" DTS audio tracks for use with this unit. It's all still the 5.1 and 5.1-ES stuff. Regular film studios seem perfectly happy with 5.1 and gearing all theatrical releases as pre-marketing tools for the DVD release. My prediction is special venue films will be the only thing to potentially use DTS-8 or DTS-10 formats any time in the near future.

Some major market shakeup (such as a filmmaker with balls pushing technology forward with a good film) will be what it takes to get Hollywood studios to think about audio in any form higher than 5.1 channels.

Oh, and DTS isn't killing SDDS. It seems like SDDS is doing a good job of that on its own. But I do think SDDS' absence from home theater gear and DVD does lend to its problems.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-18-2004 08:24 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haveing been able to listen to either the Mag Masters or the DA88 digtital masters I have found the closest source to the orignal has always been the DTS on playback compared to the other two

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2004 08:39 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
But I do think SDDS' absence from home theater gear and DVD does lend to its problems.
Do you think that SDDS had a place in the home market? What would they have to offer that wasn't already been taken care of by the current Dolby Digital and DTS formats?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-18-2004 09:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Antonio, not to burst your bubble, but DTS is compressed."

Actually DTS does have ready a no compression or lossless playback system and we are about to install the very first one in the large format theatre at Thanksgiving Point. The losless system works similar to a ZIP disk in which the data is zipped up and then unzipped when ever the data is read. Pretty simple and very elegant if you ask me. I doubt that DTS will pick up where Sony left off with 8 channel, but that sure is a possibility now. I think you'll see the next big advancement in digital playback come from DTS as the XD-10 player is already capable of 96khz/24 bit playback.

As for SDDS.... it pretty much killed itself before the first unit was installed simply by its location on the film edges and the penthouse/LED/Firmware problems that just about everyone experienced.

Mark @ CLACO

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-19-2004 12:13 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Film doesn't wear if you handle it right. Done properly, SRD and SDDS error rates lower with use.

I see 8 channel DTS becoming a mainstream possibility just like seeing 70mm prints being struck again for mainstream release. It's not going to happen. Sure there will be a few titles and a few theaters will put forth the bucks to install it, but even EX didn't really make it off the ground. Besides, even if it ever caught on and 8 channel DVD discs were shipped with prints, it still wouldn't fix the problem of DTS not caring about how many discs arrive scratched up from those piece of shit DVD-style cases they are shipping the discs in. The old "DTS reel" coupled with the thick soft plastic jewel cases offered the best protection to date. They should have stuck with that. Around here, nobody is installing new DTS systems anymore just because of the damaged disc issue. Everyone (except the "cheaper is better" theaters) is installing SRD.

Anyway, keep dreaming boys.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2004 01:44 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as SR-D deteriorating....if you handle the film right...how are people loosing their Dolby Digital Track...I know it's between the sprocket holes and whatnot, but if you handle it right, there should be NO problem...

oh yeah...the company I work for thought that 8-channel was going to be HUGE. Needless to say we just keep those extra amplifiers off now

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2004 02:34 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about you all, but we haven't had any damaged discs due to the new DTS cases. Things are running as smoothly as ever. I don't really know how 8 or 10 channel will get kicked off, but we would need some major film to really show it off. Jurassic Park was the perfect film for DTS 6, and we'd need something of that caliber I believe to really push for DTS 8 or 10. Actually, what ever happen to the idea of tactile sound systems? I figured instead of more channels, this would be the next step for motion picture evolution. Sure, you can get them at home and run your subwoofer output into them, but it'd be neat to have a dedicated channel that literally shakes the room. I'd like to actually demo one, as I have only read about these tactile tranducers.

AJG

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-19-2004 03:46 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, Brad is right here. It just won`t happen. If we still had a situation where only select big theatres play the big movies on the first run, then a new format or additional channels or high resolution releases on 70mm or whatever would make a noticeable difference. Because people would think, do we go to Movie Palace A or Movie Palace B? - Let`s go to B, I read they have a new sound system. As it is now, we all play the same movies on screens of the same sizes with the same standardized equipment on thousands of screens everywhere. It just doesn`t make a difference anymore. All you can do is give the audience a nice presentation and have a good feeling about it. They come to your Extremeplex for no other reason than that it`s closest to where they live or because they want to redeem the coupons for the MegaPopcornCombo.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: