Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Constantly loose pad roller on 5-Star. Why? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Constantly loose pad roller on 5-Star. Why?
Jackson Gilman
Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2004 08:56 PM      Profile for Jackson Gilman   Email Jackson Gilman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings all,

One of our [Simplex 5-Star] sound head's holdback sprocket's upper pad roller arm repeatedly comes loose, no matter how much I tighten the set screw holding it in place. When I had a chance to do a complete breakdown, I took some time to examine what may be causing the problem. The sprocket teeth are all in good shape, the roller's distance from the edge of the sprocket is at a good distance, and the sprocket shaft turns smoothly, and in good rotation.

Something else must be causing the screw to loosen. Has anyone had this problem, and what did you do to fix it? I believe this to be the culprit of our shedding prints. The PTRs are covered in white dust at the end of each show, exclusively on this particular projector.

Thanks for reading!
-Jackson

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-15-2004 09:00 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check that the pad roller runs true to the sprocket teeth and is parralel to its face
Put some nail polish or better yet lockite on the screw and set it and let it harden to keep it from drifting

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-16-2004 01:11 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
better yet don't put lock tight on there unless you want problems later on when you have to change a pad roller shaft. On that note are you talking about the pad roller shaft set screw or the main screw that holds the assembly to the frame. I have had issues with the main screw coming loose on older 5 star heads. The newer ones have that screw going straight through with a lock nut on the other side. if it is the set screw on the pad roller shaft I have in some cases been able to get the set screw tight then add another set screw on top of that one to prevent the other one from working out.

to verify the shedding problem run the film with the pad roller open. The tension on the film will keep it on the sprocket. Believe me I know it will I have had to run shows in that manner before until I got a part in to fix it.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-16-2004 01:39 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is just a HOS to begin with. The problem can be solved very easily...don't let the damn thing slam shut when it is closed, and open it gently when you lace the machine.

Jackson Gilman
Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2004 02:15 AM      Profile for Jackson Gilman   Email Jackson Gilman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tommorrow I work the side that has the mentioned projector, and I will run the first show with the pad roller open. I suppose if it still sheds, I won't worry about fixing the pad roller so soon.

I do agree with you Paul, it probably was from someone being rough on the equipment. I was broken into the habit early on never to slam the gate or pad rollers when threading. If I want to be rough, I always pick something unimportant to slam, like our microwave door, or the radio, or maybe an old 3 minute trailer at a co-worker (though the >2 minute ones are slightly more aerodynamic).

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-16-2004 02:09 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Locktite removable isn't an issue to remove it later

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2004 05:08 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Screw Lock-Tight! [fu] [thumbsdown]

If you have loose threads, then contact a screw/gear company like Berg in New York. They have set screws with locking inserts and other stuff to do the job CORRECTLY!

In my opinion, Lock-Tight is a cheap way of half-assing a job!

Locking hardware of the proper kind is the quality way to go!

Jackson Gilman
Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2004 11:30 PM      Profile for Jackson Gilman   Email Jackson Gilman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pad roller is causing a majority of shedding. The PTRS still came out dirty (dirtier on the ST side I may add), however, that may be due to the print picking up dirt from the shedding.

I am not certified to repair this part myself sadly. I was hoping the screw was just rattling loose due to a bad bearing or something else that I could repair without the tech on hand.

Thanks anyway for the help fellas!
-Jackson

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-16-2004 11:57 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just loosen the screw and stuff two film thicknesses around the sprocket and close the pad roller. Then tighten that little worthless 6 (maybe 8)-32 acrew. Open the pad roller and reclose it. Move the pad roller with your fingers. You should feel a very slight drag from the two thicknesses of the film if the pad roller bracket isn't sprung to shit or if the pad roller flange is snugly agains the sprocket. If it is, a few thin washers from Eagle Hardware should correct the problem. If it is a heavy drag, just compensate for it before you reef that damn screw down.

Before you do this, make sure the big screw (the one holds the pad roller bracket on the manin casting) is TIGHT!

You don't have to be a brain sugeon to make this adjustment. Do it with confidence and you will be OK.

That 5-Star sound head should be renamed to "5-Boner" sound head. I never liked that HOS. (Sorry, Strong International [fu] ) I would prefer the Simplex SH-1000 or the RCA-9030 over that thing any day of the week.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-17-2004 12:03 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, at least the 5 Star can be modified to rid itself of that damned "dirt embedder roller". With an SH-1000 or RCA-9030 boat anchor, you're stuck with it!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-17-2004 12:06 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HAH! you would not be stuck with it if you don't use WD-40 on the damned thing.... [Big Grin]

Those old SH-1000's and 9030's have been running for at least 60 years. There must be something that was done right. [Big Grin]

Yeah, as far as I know, the rubber roller does interchange between the 5-Star and the SH-1000.

And, I agree, the SH-1000's and 9030's are very heavy. I think they could almost be used to moor the USS Nimitz aircraft carrier.

So would that old 1964 10,000 watt Collins vacuum tube transmitter I keep running. It'll be mine in about 2 or three weeks.

It beats the solid state stuff for tone quality - hands down.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-17-2004 12:10 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, glad you're finally back and up to your ol' self of bitching about everything... [Razz] [evil] [Big Grin]

quote: Brad Miller
...dirt embedder roller...
Gosh Brad, I didn't think we were talking about PTRs... [Razz]

>>> Phil

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-17-2004 12:13 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Phil. It has been a long road to haul. [Smile]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-17-2004 12:18 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Hang in there, bub! Welcome back.

>>> Phil

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-17-2004 08:03 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Yeah, as far as I know, the rubber roller does interchange between the 5-Star and the SH-1000."

Yes, and the whole lateral guide roller assy. is exactly the same and is interchangable.

I'd take a 4 star any day over just about anythng else out there, a late model 5 star actually can perform just about as good as a 4 star. The WORST soundhead I've ever seen is the design(kludge)on the new Apogee projector... from the intermittent sprocket down on, its an absolute [puke] ! Uncle Rube musta had a hand in its design.

There are only 4 decent soundheads that are made in the U.S..... this is my order of preference.

1. Simplex 4 Star
2. RCA 9030
3. Century
4. 5-Star

Of course the absolute best is the DP-70 soundhead after I do all the upgrades to them in the shop. No film contact here except at the very edges, and a 5 minute plus run down time on the sound drum!

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: