Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 5Star part numbers

Author Topic: 5Star part numbers
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-15-2004 02:49 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just ordered a bunch of parts for the 5Star idler pulley assembly (pulley, bearings, shoulder bolt etc.) and found out that there is a new generation of parts which are a little bigger than the old parts (has nothing to do with the belt type, the machine has the newer round-tooth belts). So the shoulder bolt doesn`t fit into the belt tension arm [Frown]
It took a couple of phone calls to match the old and new part numbers since the old parts aren`t covered in the manual available here and on the Strong website.
Does anyone have a pdf of the older parts catalog? Are there any other assemblies which have been changed in the last years (except for the belt-related changes, these are covered in the manuals)??

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-15-2004 07:52 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,
There are at least three versions and three different manuals of the 5 star sound head and two different versions of bearings and tensioner [Confused] . The unreliability of the 5 star is somewhat dictated by the crappy bearings that Strong sells. The use of bearings with rubber seals on the sprocket shaft and tensioner and not over-tensioning belts will drastically increase overall reliability... any dealer thats worth half his paycheck will have better quality rubber sealed bearings in stock at his shop and not just drop ship the crappy ones from the factory to you [Eek!] ! Anyway, round tooth belts are prefered for many reasons and can be tensioned slightly less than the X-L belts that are used on older versions. This results in far longer bearing life. When re-assembling the sprocket shaft and tensioner, or anything else like this for that matter, coat the shafts and bearings with Mobil-1 synthetic oil so it all comes apart very easily next time you have to work on it...

Your dealer(if he is worth even a quarter of his paycheck) should be able to supply you with copies of all the various manuals at no charge if you're buying parts from them... we certainly do... [Cool] !!

Mark @ CLACO

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-15-2004 08:40 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the supposed advantage of the belt-driven 5-star over the gear-driven SH-1000 and RCA-1040/1050/9030/9050? Surely there must be some reason why the belt-drive mechanism is better or cheaper, otherwise I would expect that Strong/Simplex would have stuck with the older models.

I should hasten to add that I've never actually had a belt break in a 5-star, but they do need to be changed out semi-regularly in order to prevent this from happening. I expect that Bad Things would happen if the belt from the soundhead that drives the picture head were to break mid-show in an unattended booth running polyester-base film. [Eek!]

Oh, and why use rubber belts as opposed to chains (as used in Kinotons and Western Electric bases [which use a chain-driven takeup spindle])?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-15-2004 08:47 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chaeper is the answer to all your questions regarding belt drive apparatus... Chains are much more expensive!!
Mark

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-15-2004 12:26 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can also get a 5-star several inches closer to the front wall of the booth, as opposed to the Simplex/RCA soundheads with the motor sticking out the front... [Smile]

-Aaron

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-15-2004 01:45 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron is right... and this is at times a necessity for booths with very thick walls that you can't cut larger.... Actually I'd prefer my Century R-3/X-L Projector setup in this case!! Its actually a better running pair, just a bit unorthodox.

Mark

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2004 10:04 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am curious about the new 5star soundheads that turn the LED on and off. Does this really save any hours? I would think that turning on and off would wear it out.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-16-2004 02:05 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The LED turning on and off is not a function of the soundhead but the way the engineer installed it

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2004 08:29 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the clarification, does anyone know if it makes a difference to do that?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-16-2004 09:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, thats somewhat self explanatory. Just add up the amount of time each day that your LED's on the analog and digital readers burn needlessly.. then times that by 365 days and you'll get a pretty good idea of the extra life you can get out of em by switching. The only one that doesn't really apply to is the BACP as its LED runs at VERY low current.
Mark

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-16-2004 10:33 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I install mostly BACP readers and I usually plug the wall wart into the convenience outlet, then wire that to the motor circuit so that the reader only comes on when the motor is running.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-16-2004 11:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That can certainly be done but Sam doesn't really reccomend it. I think with the current he is running the LED at you're looking at 10 year life or thereabouts. Perhaps he'll chime in on this thread.

Mark

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-19-2004 03:54 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently they only make the old (smaller) pulleys plus asoociated parts only for the machines which have the old (square-tooth) belt, but not for the newer (round-tooth) belt machines anymore while the newer (bigger) pulleys are available for both types of belts. In the first case, all you can do is get a complete upgrade kit to upgrade to the new pulley. That makes a lot of sense when you just need a couple of smaller parts [Roll Eyes]

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-19-2004 12:16 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's nothing "wrong" with the gear drive system. The current single-sprocket type soundhead is a bunch cheaper to make than the SH1000 or RCA types... the gearbox alone would probably cost as much as the 5-star to make. The new ones could use the viscous flywheel, but that costa a bit more than a lump of iron. Because of the sprocket location in the 5-star there is no easy way to arrange gear drive.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: