Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dark sides in flat films. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dark sides in flat films.
Brandon Lokesak
Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2004 01:21 AM      Profile for Brandon Lokesak   Email Brandon Lokesak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
does anyone have any idea what could be causing our flat flims to have like a 4 inch dark side border to them. The left and right sides are extremely dark from top to bottom. Could this be due to the lamphouses being out of alignment. Its been like this ever since i worked there so it hasnt just happened. Its a cinnemacanica lamphouse with a lti 2000k bulb.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 05-15-2004 05:19 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds to me like your flat aperture plate is cut incorrectly. You can order a new one to be cut, but that can be expensive. Alternatively, you can set new stops for your side masking to cover the dark area. (But don't pull them in too much!)

[ 05-15-2004, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Mike Olpin ]

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2004 08:44 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of projector is this, if it has a turret you may need to adjust the positioning of the lenses within the turret, or the whole assembly may be off some. If it's got a lens barrel, though, I'd agree with Mike, and check the plate.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-15-2004 08:55 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have side masking, it could be that the masking stops are set wrong.

The best way to check any of these issues is to run a loop of RP-40 (aka PA-35) with the aperture plate removed. This will show you where the edges of the image are supposed to be.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-15-2004 01:03 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree it sounds like an aperture problem. In flat, issues with misaligned lamps usually mean hot spots on the image, since flat is a smaller aperture than scope. So I doubt very much that your problem has anything to do with the bulb alignment.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-15-2004 01:47 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're runing an XL series projector with a trap, the gate might be adjusted to place the film too far from the aperture. That can cause this effect by itself.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-15-2004 02:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Darryl Spicer
In flat, issues with misaligned lamps usually mean hot spots on the image, since flat is a smaller aperture than scope
Although this is probably not his problem, it could be that his screens have fixed masking at 2:1 and the lamp was tightly focused down on the scope format, creating dark sides on flat films.

Regardless Brandon HAS to post more info about his system for anyone to give reasonable advice. I am going to start instigating a policy where if someone posts a problem and does not list all equipment involved that the thread is deleted if this sort of thing continues. All it does is waste people's time. In this instance all we know is that a 2K Cinemeccanica lamphouse is involved. Well...what model lamphouse? What model projector is blocking the light in front of it? Is there a turret involved? Are the dark sides straight vertical, or is there a curve to the sides? Etc, etc, etc

Brandon Lokesak
Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2004 07:58 PM      Profile for Brandon Lokesak   Email Brandon Lokesak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a century model SA. We have no side masking we have no lens turrent,The lines are perfectly straight down on both sides no curves. I dont know if its the apertures because its the same on both screens and the apertures are not in the wrong projectors. I dont know how much more information I can give to you about this problem. The apertures are rather worn maybe I will see about ordering 1 replacement for now to see if this fixes the problem. Sorry for the lack of information I thought I made it clear in the first post but I guess not. Sorry for wasting your time....

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-15-2004 08:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brandon Lokesak
We have no side masking we have no lens turrent
That's great and all, but do you have any top or bottom masking???

Remove the aperture. Turn on the projector motor and xenon. Lift the douser (don't run it this way for very long - to be safe limit it to 20 seconds). Now tell me if you still see those dark sides or not.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-15-2004 08:53 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I will ask my queery in this dilema Is this shadow a clearly defined dark band that is parrallel to the edge of the picture or is the shadow having a larger darker area in the corners than in the centre of the sides
If it is parrallel and clearly defined (the apperture in a SA is usually very sharp) then I would place bets on it being the plate or possibly the heat sheild behind it interacting with the lamphouse
If it is moreso in the corners then I would look at lamphouse alignment. And on that issue is this a older vertical cinemecanica lamphouse or the modern horizontal version and what make and model of lens is involved.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-15-2004 09:01 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
TIP OF THE DAY - This sort of troubleshooting would be so much easier if people sent in picture tours of their theater. That way we could not only look at the make and model of equipment, but the way it is set up as well.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-15-2004 10:30 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another useful trick is to pull out the aperture partially and watch if the effect follows it.

--jhawk

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 05-15-2004 11:05 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have the same issue. Ballantyne projectors, with different types of lamphouses. Cinemeccanica, Xetron, Strong, and top, bottom, and side masking. Isco-Optic lenses, with turrets. It happens on all 5 of our screens, and they are all different size theaters. I actually fixed it on one of them once, by changing the lens, but our tech told me that I had the wrong lens in there, and switched it back to where it was, and took the other lens with him. I guess he thinks its supposed to be like that.

Brandon Lokesak
Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2004 12:15 AM      Profile for Brandon Lokesak   Email Brandon Lokesak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I know pictures would be nice...It would be much easier if I could find the cable to my digital camera ill just have to take some photos tommarow and scan them in. In responce to the top and bottom masking question there is no masking.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2004 12:26 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it sounds like the picture is as good as it's going to be unless you get movable masking. with a shorter lens you could fill the screen side-to-side, but you'd be cropping the top/bottom (some people might prefer that alternative). there's a good chance you're cropping the sides of your scope image as well. what are the dimensions of the visible screen?

carl

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: