Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What grade of intermittent oil

Author Topic: What grade of intermittent oil
Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2004 03:03 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings all.

When I last changed the intermittent oil in the Vic 5's I used the oil kindly supplied by the supplier.

We are now due for another change , Can some one advise of what type, grade of oil is best suited to the Vic 5.

Thanks
Phil

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-14-2004 07:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil,

Why not call your supplier and order more. There is NOTHING MORE IMPORTANT than supporting your local theatre supply dealer. And what the heck... if you get the wrong stuff you can always blame him for it!!

Mark @ CLACO

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2004 09:40 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
G'day Phil,
I always use the oil supplied by projector Manufacturer (in this case Kinoton) and you know its the right one and cost wise isnt that much dearer than other brands.Ive heard of horror stories from guys useing other brands of oil mainly because they obtained the wrong type.The oil you are after can be obtained from Atlab Image And Sound in West Oz or from thier Melb office.The price is reasonable and you know You have the right oil.And as Mark said support your theatre suypply dealer
[beer]
Steve

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-14-2004 10:30 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, those who sit behind a desk and drop ship need your support too! [Wink]

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2004 05:46 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks guys , I would have normally ordered more from our local supplier only they have just closed down , I was wanting to make sure we obtained the correct oil from a new supplier.

Phil

Samuel Hynds
Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2004 11:42 AM      Profile for Samuel Hynds   Email Samuel Hynds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need a Heavy-Medium DTE oil. No additives. slight yellow in color.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-10-2004 10:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The two most important characteristics of any good machine oil is that it not contaian any wax at all and that it be acid free.

Mark

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2004 03:47 PM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps a little beside the topic, but how
long can oil be stored before itīs getting
too old?

Thomas

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-11-2004 05:00 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An oil thread and Mark didn't tout LaVezzi? You feeling ok, Mark?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-14-2004 09:54 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I need tout it any more. Everyone knows about it by now. I get quite a few e-mails regarding its proper use and effectiveness nearly every week!!

Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-14-2004 06:51 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is LaVezzi oil one size fits all or are there various viscosities?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-14-2004 08:19 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
one size fits all means it does none well

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-14-2004 09:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its sized for Ultramittents, Century movements, Ballantynes and works better than the Kinoton supplied oil in DP-70's and FP-20's. To heavy for X-L's and earlier Simplexs but there are other synthetic oils that work well for those.

Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-15-2004 10:08 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. OK. And here I thought you used LaVezzi for everything but deep frying! [Cool]

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2004 11:21 AM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Arrrgg, EVERY thing but DEEP FRYING.. NOOOOO...........
Is that why my fries/chippies tasted so strange. MEDIC.
I knew there was a reason I was pissed off that you can't heat up you hotdog or light up cigarette from a lamphouse anymore.
Now you cant even deepfry your food in oilbath/int oil.

Phil, like Stephen said just ring Atlab/GUO, and say you need oil for Vics. They'll send the right shit I promise. They wont send 5 litres of motor oil. Just don't ring Hoyts ('store') Everyone in that company who knew anything has been fired over the last 12 months. So you just MIGHT get motor oil.
(sorry to my friends at Hoyts Store IF you are still there)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: