Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CFS....Gone the Way of the Buffalo?

Author Topic: CFS....Gone the Way of the Buffalo?
Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2004 09:45 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just acquired the infamous Super Platter. [bs] I am building a home theater and I got the old 5 deck Super Platter from the Carmike Cinemas that I used to work at that was originally a Cinema World. I tried to log on to the CFS website but could not find it. I called them and reached a woman that wasn't too pleased since she was in California and I am in Ohio and I called at 7:30 a.m. my time. So I gather CFS have gone bye-bye.

I would normally sell it, but since it came from the booth that I learned projection in I am somewhat attached to it. We have a long love-hate relationship. Mostly hate. I repaired that piece of junk more times than I would like to remember. I spent many nights picking prints up off of the floor when it would get an attitude and throw them. So now that it is mine, I want to overhaul it and make sure that it runs okay for my home theater. Where can I get parts? I know I can get variacs and micro-switches from Grainger and McMaster-Carr. What about motors, rollers and the belts that fit on the rollers? Thanks.

Josh

[ 05-12-2004, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Joshua Waaland ]

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2004 10:07 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CFS folded about 3 years ago. Somebody bought out most stock though and I believe there are parts available.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-12-2004 10:09 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please--for the sake of your prints--don't run anything good on that Super Platter! If you can't get a good platter (read: AW3) or second machine, at least get some 6000' reels and run your features with an intermission.

I've had a few experiences with Super Platters and can't believe that it's possible to make up a print, run it, and break it down on one of those things without damaging it in any way.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2004 10:51 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

I know what you mean. I worked at a Cinemark that had Christie AW3's and they were a dream to run. (See pictures in picture warehouse: Cinemark 15 in Macedonia, Ohio) I never had a problem with them. Maybe I can sell this one on ebay (probably won't get much for it) and buy a Christie.

Josh

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-12-2004 01:12 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try this:

http://www.lightingimages.com/p_spp_superPlatter.htm

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-12-2004 05:52 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they don't call em "Stupid Platters" for nothin ya know.... I certainly wouldn't run any valualable film on one of those [puke] !!

Mark

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2004 06:24 PM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used 70s-era Super Platters for years in two of our cinemas. Granted, they are primitive and sometimes need a bit of nursing, but I don't get all the bile directed at them by some people. I've never had one throw a print - yours must have especially powerful motors, since mine couldn't accelerate fast enough to do that (that's a Christie thing). Mostly they are reliable and I have less trouble overall with them than I do with Specos.

I've yet to meet a platter system that didn't have its weak points. You do your best with what you have to work with.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-12-2004 06:40 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're not necessarily my cup of tea, either. However, there are two of them in my town... and I do get to see them now and then. I don't think I'd want one, but as Peter's observed, they haven't been much trouble, considering their age.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-12-2004 08:40 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As mentioned above, CFS went out of business in December 2000.

Most of the stock was bought at liquidation auction by former CFS founder Dick Niccum, Cinema West Theatres, and Cinemark.

Dick Niccum's new company Lighting Images Technology does now support much of the old CFS equipment, to include the Super Platter, CFS automations, dimmers and lamphouses. They have OEM Lamb motors that properly fit the CFS drive 'capstan' (the Grainger motors have too short of a shaft) available for around $80 each if you wish to rebuild them yourself, or they can supply complete ready to bolt-on motors.

As for the rubber belts for the rollers, go to your local vacuum cleaner shop and ask for Kirby part number 301291- these are the belts with the criss-cross 'tread' on them. Install them with the 'tread' facing out! These will outlive the motors in most cases.

-Aaron

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: