Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Hearing-impaired get movie treat (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Hearing-impaired get movie treat
Bevan Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2004 08:15 AM      Profile for Bevan Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bevan Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hearing-impaired get movie treat

Fri May 7, 9:40 AM ET

By Paul Singer Washington Bureau

When Clint Eastwood's "Dirty Harry" character sneered, "Go ahead--make my day," the line became such a cultural phenomenon that President Ronald Reagan (news - web sites) repeated it in daring Congress to pass a tax increase he could veto.

But John Stanton and millions of other deaf Americans did not recognize the reference. The line comes from a 1983 movie that--like virtually all other American movies released since the end of the silent film era--had no subtitles or captions for the hearing-impaired.

Now a lawsuit filed by Stanton and two other deaf moviegoers against two major movie chains may change that, paving the way for a broad expansion of captioning devices for the hearing-impaired in theaters throughout the country.

In a settlement approved by a federal judge last week, the theater chains--AMC Theaters and Loews Cineplex--agreed to install individual captioning devices in a dozen theaters in the D.C. area over the next year. They also agreed to build the system into at least one screen in all their new theater complexes in the region.

"I'm probably going to be deaf for the rest of my life," said Stanton, a Washington lawyer. "I hope I'm going to live to see the day where almost every movie is caption-accessible. ... I think our settlement is a very good starting point to get that process going."

Settlement sets new standard

U.S. District Judge Gladys Kessler approved the settlement April 30. While it applies only to the Washington area, it "will set the standard for what other communities, at a very minimum, should be offering," she said.

The deal calls for use of Rear Window captioning technology, designed to help hearing-impaired moviegoers without blocking others' view, that provides the user a transparent plastic panel attached to a seat's cup holder. The captions are displayed on the back wall of the theater, and the reflection is visible on the panel but invisible to patrons in adjoining seats.

The technology currently is available in only one movie theater in the Washington area and fewer than 100 nationwide. Six screens in the Chicago area have Rear Window technology, including the AMC City North and the AMC Yorktown in Lombard. There are no closed-caption screens elsewhere in Illinois.

An AMC spokesman said that in addition to the Washington-area court settlement, the chain has made a voluntary commitment to install Rear Window in all its new theater complexes--but not for every screen. AMC also will retrofit at least one theater in all 210 of its complexes nationwide to provide captioning technology.

Loews declined to comment on its plans.

Stanton's lawsuit argued that theaters without captions violate the Americans With Disabilities Act, which requires businesses to establish reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities.

Two other lawsuits seeking to force theaters to install captioning technology--one in Oregon, one in Texas--have failed, leaving the D.C. settlement as the first lawsuit to result in an agreement to add captioning.

"What the settlement does is provide a model that can be replicated in other communities around the country," said Todd Houston, executive director of the Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.

David Monroe, the lawyer who negotiated the settlement on behalf of AMC and Loews, said even more captioning devices may be installed nationwide if it makes economic sense.

"If it turns out that a lot of additional people come to see captioned films, that makes it more likely that they will make more captioned films available," Monroe said.

But some advocates for the deaf are disappointed that the settlement does not go further.

"It's a drop in the bucket," said Cheryl Heppner, chairwoman of the Coalition for Movie Captioning, an alliance of advocacy groups for the deaf and hard of hearing. The coalition says the deal requires only "the ability to show captioned movies on roughly 5 percent of AMC/Loews screens forever."

Other advocates say the Rear Window system is cumbersome and that a better approach would be "open captions"--subtitles projected on the screen and visible to all patrons.

Studio and theater executives adamantly oppose that idea, saying such subtitles would be a distraction to their hearing clientele and would interfere with a director's creative control of the image on the screen.

Richard King, a spokesman for AMC Theaters, said his company has tested open captioning and "we have found that is something that is not appealing to moviegoers [who] are not hearing-impaired."

It is an open question whether there is an economic incentive for theaters to install captioning devices.

Costs $10,000 to install

The Rear Window systems cost about $10,000 to install, and King pointed out that there are no data to prove that the technology brings in flocks of deaf or hard-of-hearing patrons.

Tawny Holmes, student body president at Gallaudet University, a D.C. school for hearing-impaired students, said deaf students looking for evening activities do not immediately think of going to the movies, mostly because they don't expect to find a captioned film.

"But when there is an announcement that there is going to be a captioned movie, they go in droves," she said, speaking through a sign-language interpreter.

Studios generally produce captions for the DVD or video versions of their films, and they already produce captions for some theatrical releases at minimal cost--about $50,000 per movie, said an executive at a major Hollywood movie studio who asked that his name not be used because of potential litigation. "The cost is the same whether it's in 12 theaters or 1,200," he added.

But the executive noted that the same is not true for theater owners, for whom the $10,000 cost per auditorium makes it prohibitively expensive to install the system in all 36,000 screens across the country.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2004 12:55 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know we're not the size of DC, but a local theatre here tried running captioned films for a couple of years, turnout was very poor and it was dropped.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-08-2004 02:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are installing one here in SLC for a large local chain in the next couple of weeks. We expect to be doing more of them in the very near future.

Mark

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-08-2004 02:14 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We installed four; two at two locations. Very few people use it. I'm sure the few that do appreciate it, and I personally think every complex should have one or two, but I don't think every theater, everywhere, should be forced to buy one.

Joe Clark
Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2004 03:13 PM      Profile for Joe Clark   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a bad outcome, but it was unnecessarily expensive and again deaf people acted as though blind people don't exist. (The shoe was on the other foot with The Passion of the Christ, which was descriptions-only, a concept everyone thought was just dandy.) Running a multiplex without accessible screens is an approach that does not have much life left in it these days.

Read my post on the topic: How to make 12 movie screens accessible

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-08-2004 03:17 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How to make 12 movie screens accessible = dynamite [Smile]

personally i think it is a bit o a crock that they have to provide it
A private business should have the right to determin what services they wish to provide and if that includes providing a non accesable business then that should be there choice as well

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2004 03:24 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a few years ago there were occasional open-captioned screenings around here, but my impression was that they weren't all that well attended. i did go to a few, not because i'm deaf, but simply because it was an oppportunity to see the film.

do deaf people go in droves to normal subtitled (foreign-language) films? if so, they don't seem to make their presence known. it could just be that they bring hearing friends to help buy tickets, though. we do get some blind people from time to time. [Confused]

carl

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-08-2004 03:40 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The open captioned films (Tripod / In-Sight Cinema) that play in Rochester reportedly do very well. The Rochester Institute of Technology is where the National Technical Institute for the Deaf (NTID) is located, so there are many hearing-impaired in Rochester. I think the Regal Henrietta-18 shows most of the captioned films.

http://www.insightcinema.org

quote:
Who We Are

InSight Cinema is a non-profit organization dedicated to bringing the big screen movie-going experience to the 30 million deaf and hard-of-hearing (DHH) and English-as-a-second-language (ESL) audiences in the United States.

The InSight Cinema Mission:

To create awareness of the availability of Open Captioned films to the deaf, hard-of-hearing, and ESL communities.

To increase film industry awareness of the demand for Open Captioned films and of the many groups who can benefit because we are “the audience that is reading.”
To raise funding for InSight Cinema to expand its national outreach and advocacy efforts.

Current Program Summary:

InSight Cinema has created a 3-way partnership with the major studios and all major exhibitors. This 10 year-long outreach program serves a liaison between the DHH community and the major studios by increasing efforts to distribute Open Captioned prints to mainstream theatres

Currently there are 150 dedicated theatre programs in place. More than 300 captioned films have appeared in more than 500 cities in the US, with a marked increase in the number of prints bring shipped per title, with over 50 titles added to the program alone this year.

Want to help? You can participate!

There are an estimated 30 million American who have been identified with a hearing loss. Currently, there are about 35,000 movie screen in the U.S. alone, so our work has only begun.

You can show your support by signing up for our e*movie notification list that is sent to 50 states every week. Volunteer to be a Patron Advisory Board member who serves as our local “eyes and ears” in the community. Make a tax-deductible donation to InSight Cinema because every little bit helps. Increased awareness means marketing, advertising and promotional efforts. All of this takes time, resources and staff.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2004 03:12 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The shoe was on the other foot with The Passion of the Christ, which was descriptions-only, a concept everyone thought was just dandy.
umm, you do realize that film was "open-captioned" from the git-go, right?

when it comes to "accessibility" for the deaf and blind, as opposed to the "movement-impaired", there really is no solution. no matter what concessions you make, you cannot provide the audiovisual experience that constitutes the film to those who are unable to apprehend it with their ears and eyes.

carl

Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2004 02:43 AM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In interaction with the local Dallas Community Center for the Deaf and Hearing Impaired, I have found that atleast on theater in my area does some type of captioning, but that it does not do well and most people in the deaf community (atleast in my area) prefer to rent movies and view them at home.

I agree that acceptable accomadations must be made, but should we have to put the technology and expense into every auditorum on the off chance that hearing impaired person might come see a movie that day? I can't remember the name off hand, but we use the IR satilite with the headphones, with proper maitiance we get zero complaints from the deaf community. With this system all we have to do is keep two or three sat.'s on hand and move them to an auditorum when they are needed.

Joe Clark
Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2004 07:17 AM      Profile for Joe Clark   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carl Martin
umm, you do realize that film was "open-captioned" from the git-go, right?
No, it was subtitled. I trust you can appreciate the difference. If not, try watching the movie with your ears covered. Are you sure you can really understand it? (Try it at home with your favourite foreign film. No sound, subtitles only. Perfectly understandable, right? Except you never know who's speaking, the speech is noticeably edited, and no non-speech information is rendered.) It may come as a surprise to learn that subtitled movies need to be captioned.

See, among other things, The Passion of the Hypocrites.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2004 07:35 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes, i do know there's a difference, but i still think this film in particular would be quite intelligible to a deaf person. in most key scenes, the speaker is very clearly the focus of the shot. i do remember that in some scenes, like j.c.'s apprehension near the start, i couldn't discern exactly who was speaking all the time. but overall, i got the gist. it would have been funny to see that "telephone ringing" glyph pop up.

i've seen many subtitled italian films where the original soundtrack is so poorly recorded and synced that, in alternating between reading the text and looking at the image, i failed to pick up what little cues were given as to who was speaking. it is indeed frustrating.

carl

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-10-2004 08:47 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the AFI/Silver in Silver Spring, MD...we installed the DTS-CSS system that can project captions/subtitles over the regular image (the captions do follow the movement of the characters) as well as descriptive service for the visually impaired. All three theatres are so equipped.

The big problem they have found...very few films, offer the CSS discs with the captions or descriptive service.

Unless there is more to the story...the only way this could be effective is if all films (at least those over a certain budget) be required to have captions and descriptive service available day-and-date with a films release...this will give them a jump on the video release anyway.

Steve

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2004 08:48 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At a theater I worked at some time ago, we had a deaf person come and DEMAND (from the get-go) that he should only have to pay half price because he can only enjoy half of the experience. He did this simply by slipping the box cashier -- exact change -- for half of the ticket. Then proceeded to argue with management, writing "ADA" and underlining it angrily.

Pretty rude, if you ask me. It's like someone with irritable bowel syndrome demanding to only pay for half of a meal.

=TMP=

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-10-2004 10:04 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, the vast majority of disabled people cope with their disabilities, and try not to impose upon others, or take unfair advantage because of their disabilities. Please don't judge the real needs of many, by the actions of a few "jerks".

If I were hearing impaired, I would like the opportunity to enjoy a first-run movie in a theatre, rather than waiting for it to come out on video. But I would not expect a discount.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: