Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Goldberg Platter Reel or Film clamps?

Author Topic: Goldberg Platter Reel or Film clamps?
Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2004 05:47 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For moving prints from platters with removable brains, which do you prefer?
To be used on a Potts 3 tier Alpha, and a Potts 5 tier Alpha.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-05-2004 10:59 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this is a total no-brainer, provided money is no object.

Unfortunately, a set of clamps costs far less than a Golberg platter reel.

-Aaron

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2004 12:44 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other issue would be the number of prints that need to be moved. I've never used the Goldberg platter reel but my understanding is the print to be moved must be wound onto it. If one has multiple prints to move the only way to do it using only Goldberg platter reels is to have one reel for each print to be moved-could get a little pricey especially in big multiplexes.

If I read your post right you are only going to have two platters. Personally I'd say go with the platter reel (it can be used for make ups as well after all) but also have a set of clamps on hand for extra/emergency moves (what if a platter deck decides to quit or you have to move a print on the spur of the moment to accomadate extra business).

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-06-2004 08:07 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correctly, Brad told me once that two people are required to move a print when it's on the platter reel. Only one is required to move a clamped print. This may or may not be an issue for you.

My favorite option for moving prints within a theatre is the "cookie sheet"; this is a flat (masonite?) disk which sits on the takeup platter and has holes for the brain and the pins on the center ring. You put the cookie sheet on the platter and the ring on top (the pins go through the holes on the cookie sheet and into the holes in the platter deck. The print takes up onto the cookie sheet and then both can easily and safely be picked up and moved by one person. This works with non-removable brains as well. The big advantages over clamps are both speed/convenience, and the fact that the platter decks don't get scratched, as can happen with clamps.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 05-06-2004 08:21 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Of course, there MUST be two people present to carry the reel when you have one of the flanges unlocked.
Quote from Reviews page for the Goldber Platter Reel.

The cookie sheet is also perfect for moving large prints that the clamps do not fit on. Just have the movie take up on to the sheet on the last run in that auditorium. Of course two people are necessary for the movements of larger prints.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: