Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Which would you buy DTS-6D or XD10 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Which would you buy DTS-6D or XD10
Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2004 05:36 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Opinions appreciated. And please explain why?
Reason I'm curious, there really isn't much money difference between the two?

I just wonder if XD10 is over kill now that EX seems to be a non-issue, let alone all that XD10 offers.

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-05-2004 05:47 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you ever want to do video screen ads this unit can handle that chore with an optional card.....

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-05-2004 06:48 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The XD-10 is newer and thus likely to be supported for a longer period of time than the 6D. Also, the ability to play soundtracks off the hard disk should make it more reliable.

I don't know what the price difference is, but if it's minimal, then I'd go with the XD-10. If it's a big difference, I'd go with the 6D, assuming that I didn't need any of the extra features than the XD-10 offers.

Actually, I'd buy SRD instead, since I mostly deal with prints which are SRD only. Your mileage may vary.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-05-2004 07:07 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because you won't be running in digital 100% of the time the first thing you need is a good analog processor with REAL SR decoding or emulation that is as good as the real thing, plus a real reverse scan reader, not a Jokes Light. This means either Dolby or Panastereo for processors there is nothing else that fits the catagory of an analog processor in my book. Anything else is vastly inferior.

Go with the XD-10 for sure. You would be cheating yourself big time if you didn't. The 24 bit 96khz D to A convertors are miles ahead of the rest of DTS's stuff and miles ahead of any other cinema type digital sound processor. It sounds fantastic!! There are still a couple of bugs in the thing but that won't prevent any normal day to day operations, and software upgrades included on disks will fix anything quite easily, you won't even know when it happens.

The main thing to remember about the XD-10 is not to shut it off while its booting up. If you do this you can corrupt the O.S. data on the Hard drive. They are working on a couple of small fixes for it... the other is a switching problem when its used with an Ultra Stereo JS processors....but again no big deal especially since you'd be using something that has real, or equivelent SR!! There are qwuite a few XD-10's out here in this area and very few problems overall.

Another choice some face is between the 6D and the 6... and my choice hands down is the 6 because of its Jensen balanced output transformers. DTS is currently working up a total upgrade for the 6 as they would prefer to continue support of it than to drop support.

Mark @ CLACO

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2004 10:50 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should of mentioned, I will be mating these with new CP45s plus Component Engineering Reverse readers, Ashley amps, JBL 4675 screen spkrs, and 4645 subs.

I read thru DTS's DVD authoring tech bulletin, but I'm not up on DVD burners. Is this something that can be done on a home computer and be compatible with the XD10?

Good to know the problems are minor. I'm uncertain of Hard drives in the booth. [Big Grin]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-05-2004 11:03 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have an XD10 and it's been trouble free. We occasionally run two different movies and it's very nice not having to remember to switch disks. Also with our old unit, there was always a very short dropout when it would move from disk A to disk B....tried a few steps with Karen H. to fix that, but nothing ever worked. That problem doesn't exist with the XD, obviously.

If there's not much money difference, go with the XD for sure. So what if it has extra capabilities you'll never use....your home computer probably does, too.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-05-2004 11:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I will be mating these with new CP45s "
Hummm... er well, I won't got there right now. You could do ALOT better by going with the Panastereo and the XD-10. In fact your sound system would go from being mediocre to being absolute first rate and among the best equipment available. They are available as a pair on a special buy through Smart Devices. Perhaps even cheaper than buying the Doboly CP-45 and XD-10 seperately... but even if the pair is a bit more expensive now i the long run you will be way ahead of the game. Now Brad, even I know you didn't pick the CP-45... what dealer is doing this to you??? Ok, I'll start a new thread on this subject....

The rest of your choices are very good though!!!!

Mark

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2004 01:15 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 6D is almost problem free. No major issues here in Cyprus. Only we had to change some drives in some theaters. I never heard nor operated the XD10 but I believe that someone should buy the new one. Especially in multiplexes. Imagine interlocking 3 screens with only 1 DTS disc set for the movie!! With the XD you simply download it on the HD and the playback from there.
D

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2004 11:25 AM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Economics comes into play, the Panastereo+XD10 package is $5,000 more per screen than a CP45+Xd10.
I simply cannot justify an extra $10,000 to upgrade two screens in my small town. One room is 1560sq ft, the other 1240sqft. Yeah, I know, some people have better sound systems in their home. But with cyan looming, I'm trying to upgrade the best I can at this point.

And here I thought I was doing good, originally was going to use the new Mod 8. But it's been delayed 3 months or longer. (ducking for cover) [Smile]

I thought real SR was the goal. How much more real can I get? [Confused]

I do appreciate the opinions. Thanks

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-06-2004 01:58 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about looking at used CP65s? These should be comparable to or cheaper than new CP45s.
I have to admit, though, that I've only seen two CP45 installations. One sounded very good and the other sounded decent, but not great (this was probably more an acoustical issue, anyway). The build quality was cheesy, though.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2004 03:18 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had looked for 65's, but didn't have any luck finding any.
Anyone know of some?
Thanks.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2004 03:38 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could also get an upgraded CP-55 which with the addition of the 441 card and some backplane work becomes a CP-65.

IMHO the original CP-55's with the external add-on SR unit containing true SR 380 cards are the nicest sounding units that Dolby has ever produced.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-06-2004 07:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While Jons idea is good it still leaves you SRless and shortchanged. And if the used 55's you aquire are SRless it is VERY expensive to upgrade a with either a Dolby upgrade card, or the Panastereo outboard unit to have SR, the SRA-5's are practically non-existant. Few people ever actually upgrade a 55 to SR. And at that point the Pansstereo might actually be less expensive, and anyway it would koll a full blown 55 or 65 away. A pair of used CP-65's would be the better used route to go to save money if a pair can be found.

Between the CP-45 or the Mod 8 I suppose I would pick the Dolby, but its SR decoding leaves something to be desired as do other major parts of it, but its SR would be better than the Mod's emulation. The 45's construction quality is very poor for a Dolby product, I've never sold one since they appeared nor would I. I do service a few of them in Southern Utah though they were not sold by us.....

Personally I'd shop around for the very best price on this stuff to help stretch your budget even further.... unless the 45's are used I might believe $5000.00 more for both screens but not per screen!! Two CSP-1200's sell for around that much! 10K more is rediclous as I know what both these combinations sell for new.

Don't know your dealer but I do know that some that just sit around waiting for the phone to ring to make 40 point sales [Eek!] . Quoting prices is very easy.... working for your customer so he has the best there is at the best price takes more effort than many dealers could care less about expending.

Perhaps you could do better on the overall package price and switch back to the Panastereo one way or another, 10K more is simply a joke!. Your town is not really that small, I've been there, and you now face a chance to be better than anyone else near you or that might come into play near you in the future......

Mark

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-06-2004 09:14 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark is on target on the price spread. the price spread you quoted sound more like list pricing which would make most dealers dance a jig to get the sale [Wink]

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2004 11:39 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I was basing the price for the Pana/DTS deal from the Panastereo web site. I understood it to mean it had to be purchased direct from Smart. Also this is what they led me to believe in an email I received back from them.

I'll check again. A different route this time.

What's the opinion on the Ultra Stereo JS280S with SR?

Thanks.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: