Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 'Bobby Jones' shedding problem? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: 'Bobby Jones' shedding problem?
Derek Miner
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2004 01:12 PM      Profile for Derek Miner   Author's Homepage   Email Derek Miner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I came in to work in the booth Sunday night, I was told that our print of "Bobby Jones: Stroke of Genius" was shedding and to make sure to clean between shows. When I actually got upstairs, there was an insane amount of white dust all over, from the SDDS reader all the way down. The most accumulation was around the Ultramittent (Christie projector). I thought this was from the two previous shows, but when I cleaned and ran the print again, it shed the same incredible amount. It's starting to get stuck to the print and there are plenty of dark flecks on the screen, particularly on the edge of the image. Unfortunately, we don't have film cleaners to try to reverse this.

Is anyone else running this film with similar problems? Any suggestions on how to minimize the damage and for cleaning up afterward would be greatly appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2004 01:25 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know anything about Christies, but I would bet that your intermittent pad is to close, or you have a badly worn sprocket. That is the usual cause of shedding.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-04-2004 02:07 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the magenta-colored edgeprint film batch identification printed along the edge of the film? [Confused]

Kodak VISION Color Print Film is very resistant to projector abrasion, compared to previous polyester stocks. Any chance it is not Kodak film?

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-04-2004 02:28 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We haven't noticed any shedding but we film guard our stuff pretty heavily when it first comes in.

I was inspecting our print the other day, and noticed no magenta edge code, but rather a series of yellowish numbers and letters saying something like "A G S" or something like that. Followed an inch or two later by a 110 and then a 1199 and then a single letter, which I forget what it was.

I can get the real numbers and letters and post them later, I'm doing this from memory at the moment so forgive me. But there was no sequencing that I noticed, the numbers and letters just repeated, and this was all on tail of the last reel. So, I'm not sure what kind of stock it is.

I just wanted to offer that to the discussion.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-04-2004 02:38 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark J. Marshall
...no magenta edge code, but rather a series of yellowish numbers and letters saying something like "A G S" or something like that. Followed an inch or two later by a 110 and then a 1199 and then a single letter, which I forget what it was.

Okay. It's not Kodak stock.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2004 03:45 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't matter, Bobby Jones sucks and is doing no business. It will be gone from your booth next week.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2004 05:50 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when we had to stop using filmguard around the start of the year, i was afraid we'd start having shedding problems again. remarkably, we didn't, and i attributed that to recent film stock changes. now, 4 months later, we're having them. not as bad as derek's, perhaps, but crud in the gate and significant dust on one of the cat 700 rollers. this has happended with connie & carla, robot stories, and godsend. i'd have to check to see what the stocks are.

carl

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-04-2004 08:08 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robot Stories was definitely on Eastman 2383. I've run it three times. Did you get my print (it has white tape with blue sharpie writing on heads and tails of all reels and probably still has my inspection report from last August in the can, or at least it did in January)? I never had any shedding problems with it (Century Cs and MP-30s)

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-04-2004 08:37 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where do you run MP-30's?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-04-2004 08:40 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've used them at the Arisia sci-fi convention for the last two years (see the pic gallery). I'm not a fan, but they're more easily portable than pretty much anything else.

Tom Doyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2004 10:29 PM      Profile for Tom Doyle   Email Tom Doyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Getting back on topic . . .

AGS indicates Agfa-Gevaert Safety film stock:

http://www.agfa.com/motionpictures/

Derek Miner
Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2004 12:25 AM      Profile for Derek Miner   Author's Homepage   Email Derek Miner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is after one show on Sunday:

-

I might be back in there tomorrow to watch a screening, and I can investigate the print further. Of course, it's entirely possible the film will ship out at the end of the week as suggested above. At least then I'll know for sure if it was a print issue or a problem with the projector.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2004 03:06 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's foul!! You'll need to hook up the shop-vac to clean that out!

BTW, have you got a humidity problem in your booth? I see a lot of rust on your machine. [Eek!]

danny

Lindsay Morris
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2004 04:20 AM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found that Film Guard almost totally stops the shedding and over the past season I had various prints that would shed massive amounts of stuff and start to fall down thru the optical sound lens assembly and cause snap & crackles in the sound.
As I do not have a Film Guard applicator unit I simply lightly spray the edges of the film thru the holes in the MUT spool and problem goes away..usually for around 3 sessions and then it starts again.
Have not been able to accurately identify what film stock was doing what but appeared to get most shedding from Fox Films but then some of those were printed here in OZ at Atlab. So who knows. [Confused]
Machine is Century CC and only occasional prints do it so that more or less rules out any machine adjustments or mal adjustment... or does it???.
But when it gets bad I can hear the noise in the sound quite clearly so I scuttle to the box and get the Film Guard going.
Lindsay

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2004 04:47 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow, our shedding is nothing like that. try some head & shoulders maybe.

scott, we got it from another theater. i'll check the cans tomorrow.

carl

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: