Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong platter help, problem with take up.

Author Topic: Strong platter help, problem with take up.
Matthew Stevens
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2004 01:08 PM      Profile for Matthew Stevens   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were running a print from the top to the middle platter, and apparently the wrap is very loose on the up take. We have strong platter with potts brains (or something like that). We think it could be something with the brains but not for sure. Anyone have something similar?

I also have a question about a douser (I can't spell, sorry) plate that keeps sticking on the opening, I cleaned it and it works for a while, I also sanded it down a little. Anything else I could do?

Thank you for taking time to help.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2004 01:26 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the changeover model would help.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-04-2004 01:37 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you talking about the hand douser in the lamphouse or the electric changeover shutter in the projector? If the latter, which model projector and changeover?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-04-2004 06:47 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seriously doubt the platter problem is with the pay-out head. It sounds like a timing issue to me, possible a motor tracking pressure adjustment. Remember, those platters are variac based. The take-up sets the reference for the payout speed. The take-up will always be slower than the feed-out because of a ballast resistor in series with the motor on the take-up mode. That allows a little better headroom so the pay-out can run a little faster when the phase control or micro switch closes.

As far as the douser is concened - if it is a "Zipper" such as the Century used, the cable gets a little sluggish. The ball and spring may also be set too tight. Or, someone used too much WD-40 to free it up once before. The more you use WD-40, the more frequently you have to use it.

A good cleaning job of the cable, tube, ball, and spring shopuld fix the problem unless the tube is kinked. Check for build-up of crud in the douser slides if you have a Century, Cineshittie, Brenkert, Etc.

Dominique Replogle
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2004 07:02 PM      Profile for Dominique Replogle   Author's Homepage   Email Dominique Replogle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For your douser problem, try cleaning the slides realy well and aplying new grease.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-04-2004 08:40 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grease? Don't they run better dry?

Dominique Replogle
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2004 08:48 PM      Profile for Dominique Replogle   Author's Homepage   Email Dominique Replogle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might be showing my ignororance. We grease ours. We have a CDC 15/70 with dousers powered by the air compressors.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-04-2004 08:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The more you use WD-40, the more frequently you have to use it."

I just gotta get T-Shirts made with that slogan [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Steve,
If you'd take 4 days off and come to Utah I can show you the CDC dowsers and why they need to be greased [thumbsup] [thumbsup] . And a few other interesting things not film related.

Mark

Dominique Replogle
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2004 09:08 PM      Profile for Dominique Replogle   Author's Homepage   Email Dominique Replogle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

I will take one of those T-shirts in extra large.

Dom

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-04-2004 09:09 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original poster was talking about a conventional 35mm twin, not 15/70. People who have compressed air C/O's now have their own forum.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-04-2004 10:05 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew, are you saying the platters used to wind tight, but suddenly started winding loose?

We have Strong AP platters. From what I can see, they all just wind film loose. People have hung weights on the carriage to make it wind tighter, since prints were too loose to 'trust' sliding off to place on another deck.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2004 08:56 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the problem just with the one deck or all decks?
Did the print become damaged in any way-moore specificaly sprocket damage? Or perhaps there is a static problem? If you're not sure about it being a print problem you can always swap prints and see if the problem persists.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: