Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Interlude music

Author Topic: Interlude music
Dominique Replogle
Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2004 05:50 PM      Profile for Dominique Replogle   Author's Homepage   Email Dominique Replogle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyobody,

I work in a large dinosaur museum in the booth. I was asked the other day to overhaul our music we pipe into the theatre between shows. Given our somewhat family oriented demographic it can't be anything too edgy. However, I would appreciate some input from you all on suggestions of peices to put on the disks. [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2004 06:39 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about the soundtrack to Jurassic Park?

Seriously though, that's about the best answer somebody can give you without any specifics regarding your particular site.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-01-2004 07:22 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an old thread where people listed their favorites for non-sync music:

http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000971#000000

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-01-2004 07:26 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given the choice, I would put together a "greatist hits" mix of movie scores created in recent years.

"Jurassic Park" is a good suggestion, and I would probably feature either the track "Dennis Steals the Embryo" or "Welcome to Jurrasic Park" (the real end titles music) from that disc.

John Williams has created lots of great movie music. You have the "Star Wars" and "Indiana Jones" movies. There's "E.T." Even lesser efforts from Steven Spielberg, such as "1941", featured really great music scored by Williams. The United States Marine Corps band has regularly performed the march theme of 1941. It certainly gives anything written by John Phillip Sousa a run for his money. Speaking of march themes, you could use Williams' opening march from "Superman: The Movie".

Of course, in creating a good movie music mix disc, I would not just center it around John Williams, even though you could fill up several custom mix CDs with great moments of his work.

James Horner has created a lot of great movie music too. I would definitely use parts of his incredible score to "Glory." He has also done memorable in lots of other films, such as "Apollo 13" and "Titanic."

Thomas Newman is one of the most popular movie music composers working today. He has a more unusual style, evident in films like "American Beauty," "Road to Perdition" and "Finding Nemo."

I like some of James Newton Howard's work. His score on "The Fugitive" was really good.

You might want to check out a related thread in Film Yak on this subject on favorite show tunes. Theres lots more suggestions there.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-01-2004 08:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique,
At your place you've got to be careful that what you play has either copyright clearance or that it is clearance free. Like the music thats played in the lobby when you enter the museum.... why not just pipe that into your system??? You don't want ASCAP going after the Museum and believe me that will and can!!

Mark

Dominique Replogle
Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2004 09:01 PM      Profile for Dominique Replogle   Author's Homepage   Email Dominique Replogle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
your right Mark. Thats why it is not as simple as it sounds to just pick music. I think classical stuff is safe, right?

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-01-2004 09:49 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not always. Though the composition may be in the public domain, in most cases the performance is not. So you will still need to clear rights. Since this is for a museum you may find that performance rights are not all that expensive to obtain.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-01-2004 10:11 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps have Corey contact the Utah Synphony and see if they have someting that you could use. Keeping it all local might make things easier... Or find out where that music in the lobby is comming fomr and I could run a line over from there. They must already have clearance for that stuff.

Mark

Dominique Replogle
Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2004 10:17 PM      Profile for Dominique Replogle   Author's Homepage   Email Dominique Replogle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good idea Mark. I will ask him about it. Thanks.
Dom

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-01-2004 10:56 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are (A) Non-profit. (B) A full-stage performing arts center.

A lot of the time, agencies who book our upcoming acts will send us sample CDs of the groups we are planning to host. We play these as lobby music. The agencies don't mind because it's free advertising for them. (Yes, we asked.)

My old formula for picking music to play in public is, "When in doubt, play classical music." You will virtually never offend somebody with classical. You may BORE them to death but you won't offend.

If you STILL don't know what to play, use Vivaldi's "Four Seasons". That's about the most middle of the road music you can play. Virtually everybody can recognize it. Most adults will appreciate it on some level, even if they only think to themselves, "Oh, it's THAT old thing!" The worst thing that can happen is that some teenager will think, "BOR-ing!!" [Wink]

I have worn out several copies of "Four Seasons". It's our standard lobby music when we don't have anything else to play.

Joe Schmidt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2004 03:36 AM      Profile for Joe Schmidt   Email Joe Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool]

Clearance issues aside, all movie theatres should play theatre pipe organ for intermission music. I am presently working on transferring my library of theatre organ LPs, most of which are 20+ years out-of-print, to CD. Going to take a long time to do them all, plus there are thousands of other LPs. Then, as my friend Mark G. is aware, if we build a new multiplex here in Billings, the purpose of the multiplex is to defray the costs of having a home for a big pipe organ which I could play. [One theatre having about 6-800 seats with pipe organ, two 35/70mm projectors and a stage house for the performing arts. In other words, multi-purpose, but FILM DONE RIGHT.] Depending on how far the sound will carry, this might also frighten the cattle for miles. Cows will cease to give milk. But it will be fun and challenging.

Remaining theatres in the multiplex will be film-only.

[Eek!]

Dominique Replogle
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2004 06:42 PM      Profile for Dominique Replogle   Author's Homepage   Email Dominique Replogle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup] Joe, that sounds cool. Any chance I could hear some of that?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-04-2004 09:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dom,
He sent some home with me when I was in Billings last week. Lemme know if ya want copies......

Mark

Dominique Replogle
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2004 09:09 PM      Profile for Dominique Replogle   Author's Homepage   Email Dominique Replogle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do. Thanks Mark! [thumbsup]

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2004 03:49 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going for theater organ music, be aware that some of it can be absolutely funereal and unsuited for theatrical use.

For pre-show theatre organ music, the overall best bet CD I've found is George Wright Goes South Pacific. I'm not particularly a fan of George Wright or show tunes, but the music works great for movie walk-in music in big houses. The recording technique was also particularly well suited. I have had THREE of the things swiped at gigs (and been talked out of another). Still available at Amazon; I'll need to get another.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: