Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Non-standard format on a CP-65.

Author Topic: Non-standard format on a CP-65.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-01-2004 03:32 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible to set up a CP-65 to have the decoder on, but noise reduction off? If so, how do I do it? This is for running a Perspecta card in a 65.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-01-2004 06:23 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One method would be to jumper the preamp out terminals to the nonsync input and set the format card for 4:2:4 nonsync to use the decoder

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-01-2004 10:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 65 has a CAT 443 control card which works much like the diode matrix control cards in the CP-200. You would have to look at that card, which is pretty well labeled, and determine which diodes to remove and which you need to have installed when you are in Type A playback mode. In this case you may want to have an extra CAT 443 to program for Perspecta as changing parts on that board on the fly can be a bit difficult, or you could make changes to the card that would allow it to work for Perspecta only in Type A mode..... Perhaps Guttag would know which diodes need to be changed around.... I have little experience with making changes on that card, more so on the 200.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-02-2004 11:11 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Perhaps Guttag would know which diodes need to be changed around
Perhaps...

You will want to create a format identical to Dolby Stereo but with the noise reduction inhibited.

I can't remember if you need to put the Cat. 222 or Cat 300s in "A-type" for playback. That is, you tell the card you want A-type then tell it to inhibit to eliminate the noise reduction or if inhibition the NR is sufficient.

The keys are you want to stuff diodes on format lines "FA" and "FB" to have the Cat. 242 look at the Cat 150 card slot.

Depending on your Perspecta card (I don't know what logic lines it looks at...the Cineman one I don't think pays attention to them). If it does, you will need to stuff a diode for Surround encode (it is labled inhibit but it has an inverter on it...just to be confusing).

Putting all together and using the "Mag/Aux" button as our example...

Stuff diodes at D61 (already there), D62, D66, D67 (already there), D68 (already there), Cut diode at D69. I would leave diode at D80 (inhibit subwoofer) since Perspecta uses low frequency tones to select channels.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-02-2004 12:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The screen eq should also have a 60 hz bandpass as the original Perspecta processors had so you may also want to completely dump the 30, 40 and 50 hz equalizers to the screen channels to eliminate any LF encoder signals from blasting through. Perhaps the decoder card does that part though... not sure.

Mark

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-02-2004 12:05 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help folks. I've got a while to get this sorted out, and I would like to be able to do it quickly at various venues, so I think a suitably modified 443 card, that I can keep with the Perspecta card, and just swap both cards when requiired, would be the best answer. Gordon, I'll keep your method in mind as well, in case I can't get hold of a 443 in time.

Will the modified 443 also work in a CP-55? How much is a 443 likely to cost me? (If I take whatever you think it is likely to cost over there, and roughly double it I should be somewhere near the cost here. (I used to say that prices in Pounds were roughly equal to those in Dollars, so we were paying about 40% more than you, but with prices here rising, and the Dollar being low, its over 70% more for many things now. There are exceptions, I bought a couple of 3-ring biinders in Staples while I was over there, as I can't get them here, and needed them for some manuals, and they were much more expensive than our 2 or 4 ring ones here.

Steve, where do you find the information for the diode settings for the 443? I have the information for the CP-200, I can't remember where I got it from, but I haven't been able to fiind anything for the Cat. 443; I've got the CP-65 installation manual, but that only gives jumper settings for things like wake-up mode, non-sync surround, remote faders etc, nothing about the diodes.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-02-2004 12:30 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cineman Perspecta Card does have filters to knock down the tones.

As to Dolby Schematics and such...none have been published since the CP-200...hence you don't have the Cat. 443 but do have the Cat. 153 (Dolby's logic card).

As to how I know...I just know and am well connected plus have done most screwball type of installations out there.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-02-2004 12:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Dolby will supply a schematic(s) of pretty much what ever is needed for a justifiable situation to a Dolby certified tech.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: